Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Rentrak reporting - including taxes?

Author Topic: Rentrak reporting - including taxes?
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-23-2015 01:56 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up to this point I've always sent in my nightly box office take with the GST (federal tax) amount deducted from it.

I just received an email stating that I should be reporting the gross amount including the GST. I guess they like the higher number to add to their totals.

Do you folks report your nightly ticket sales with taxes included in the total amount reported? I never have, but I guess I'll be starting now.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2015 02:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have sales tax in Montana but the rule has always been, if money comes through your ticket window then it's part of the gross and should be reported as such.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had a theater in Florida, which does charge sales tax, I set up RTS to NOT include the tax.

The problem when you DO include the tax is that when the flash grosses are picked up by the studios, they will not match your box office reports that you send in at the end of the week, and all sorts of confusion can occur. I.E. you send in a check for what you should be paying, but the studio hasn't updated your account yet with your box office actuals, and you get a call or email saying you shorted the payment. Then you have to call them and straighten it all out.

Also, the studio license contracts say to report the grosses WITHOUT the tax on your box office reports, so I would think the same would apply to reporting to Rentrak.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we don't have sales tax I guess I never thought about it -- but after reflecting, I think it does make more sense that you would leave the tax out of the gross since tax money is just "passed through" the theatre to the government.

Rusty Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2015 09:01 PM      Profile for Rusty Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Rusty Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can give you the definitive answer.

When calling in or faxing in your grosses to Rentrak you *DO NOT* include admission taxes.

If you are reporting your grosses via FTP using your Ticketing POS System, the numbers submitted *DO* include tax. The Rentrak file specification for submissions via POS systems specifically states that including taxes is a requirement.

"Part 1, “Data Definitions” Boxoffice Hourly & Boxoffice Final File

Total_gross is comprised of all of the sales for that business day, even if sold on a previous date, including tax, less total_refunds. Sales for future dates may be reported using the corresponding date in the future.

Theater_ID_number
Showtime_Date_Time (optional)
Title_number
Title
Total_gross (Entire day, include tax and previous advance sales)"

Rusty Gordon
Sensible Cinema Software

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: