Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Seattle's Admiral Twin going digital

Author Topic: Seattle's Admiral Twin going digital
Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2015 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After much uncertainty about it's fate, looks like West Seattle's Admiral Twin will go Digital and convert to a 4-Plex. While this would further chop up a once grand theater, there is talk of restoring long covered nautical themed murals on the auditorium walls. The Admiral was 2nd run for many years and in a declining state. After a successful 1st run engagement of Interstellar they decided to go entirely first run, which must have proved popular and finally cemented the deal with the landlord to move ahead and upgrade. West Seattle is community overdue for a 1st run theater. In the past, residents have had to travel downtown or to a suburban shopping centers to see anything new.

http://westseattleblog.com/2015/02/curtain-raises-for-admiral-theaters-future-agreement-announced-renovations-ahead/

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2015 02:19 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was this a Harvey theatre at one time? They were big on nautical themed murals. San Francisco's Marina and Empire theatres were as well as the Pismo Beach theatre.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 12:37 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I love it the way it is, this is excellent news.

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I hate chopping up theaters to but this is really the only way to save it and it is my neighborhood theater. Seems like they really want to do a quality job and bring out some of the original charm of the theater. Since the original auditorium was split down the middle into to 2 fairly decent sized auditoriums (even for width) I imagine if they do 4 screens they will split those at the halfway mark to have to down front and 2 up back.
If I could have my way I would restore the front half of the auditorium and split the rear with a hallway down the center, kind of how the Fairfax was in L.A. But I think to be viable they really want 4 screens.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2015 03:00 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So have they gone digital yet?

And what's up with that Regal East Valley 13 in Renton that is still showing 35mm film?

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took my girls to the Admiral to see Cinderella 2 weekends ago and was still 35mm. We were in auditorium 1 on the right and it was also mono. Auditorium 2 on the left has digital sound, or at least surround. New speakers were put in pre-Interstellar.

OT:
East Valley 13 is still 35mm. They have not had a new movie in 3 weeks. Current roster is: Blackhat, Unbroken, Annie, Night at the Museum, Hobbit, Horrible Bosses, Penguins, Hunger Games, Foxcatcher, Big Hero 6 and Interstellar.

My understanding is that Regal owns the property. The building is for sale with a clause that any new owner could not use it as a cinema. It is in an over-screened are. 2 miles north is the newish Regal Landing 14. 2 miles west are the AMC Southcenter 16 and Regal Parkway Plaza 12. The Parkway Plaza generally gets the leftovers from the AMC. If I were Regal I would make the Parkway Plaza discount since it has converted to digital and then revamp the East Valley into another 21+ Cinebarre theater. They recently did that in Issaquah when the Built a new theater near their old Issaquah 9, now a Cinebarre.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2015 09:02 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks as though the Regal East Valley 13 is going digital...

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2015 02:03 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like they want to keep it around. So that leaves the Admiral as the last remaining theater regularly running 35mm. I don't think their conversion is until fall.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: