Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Box office disaster: 'Oogieloves' has the worst opening weekend of all time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Box office disaster: 'Oogieloves' has the worst opening weekend of all time
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-03-2012 10:51 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Entertainment Weekly

by Grady Smith

OOGIELOVES-BALLOON-ADVENTURE

After its inauspicious opening Wednesday, when the bizarre kiddie flick The Oogieloves in the BIG Balloon Adventure earned a shockingly low $47 average at each theater, it looked like it could be headed for the worst opening weekend of all time for a film playing in over 2,000 theaters.

Well, it happened.

According to studio estimates, the colorful toddler-targeting entry, which is being distributed by Kenn Viselman Presents (Viselman formerly found massive success as producer of The Teletubbies), earned a truly awful $448,131 from 2,160 theaters in its debut three-day weekend.

That gross yielded a per theater average of $207. Yes, you’re reading that correctly: $207!

Movie and DVD Guide: Get the latest news, photos, and more

Just how low is that? Let’s pretend that the average ticket price for each customer was about $7 this weekend. That would mean that only 30 people saw Oogieloves at each theater — across all its showings — over the past three days.

The film, which stars a series of creepy costumed characters with names like Toofie, Zoozie, and Goobie, as well as a vacuum cleaner named J. Edgar (and not to mention Jamie Pressly, Cary Elwes, Christopher Lloyd, and Toni Braxton, whose heart will never unbreak now), cost $20 million to produce, and another reported $40 million to promote. Was the marketing money well spent? Judge for yourself in the trailer below:

Oogieloves trailer

Oogieloves steals the opening weekend “record” from Delgo, the misguided 2008 animation, which earned only $511,920 in its opening weekend from (cue scary Phantom of the Opera chord progression) 2,160 theaters — the same number as Oogieloves. There’s gotta be some sort of curse around that theater count.

Now, let me turn this hilarious story (if you’re a box office nerd like me) over to you, readers. Did you even know Oogieloves was coming out? Were you possibly one of the people who saw it this weekend? Are you surprised it bombed this badly?

|  IP: Logged

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2012 08:12 AM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the ad (repeatedly). Thought it was a live kids show until the 3rd/4th time when I noticed the credits. Even as a live kids show, it looked like it would have been awful.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-04-2012 09:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They actually gave away a CAR to promote this piece of junk at CinemaCon. I don't claim to always be able to spot a bomb but in this case I knew it the minute I saw the poster.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2012 05:21 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thing is proof that you don't have to die to go to Hell.

We had the trailer on Madagascar 3. Kids and parents alike thought it was crap.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2012 05:31 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this based on an existing show on US TV?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2012 03:54 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, an original idea, but it's been in the can since 2009 ... and they should have left it there.. or just released it straight to home video.

...and I thought Barney was bad

-Monte

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2012 11:32 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy behind the Oogieloves, Kenn Viselman, was a marketing executive for Thomas the Tank Engine and The Teletubbies, and he thought he could do his own children's series. I guess he learned the hard way that creating a successful television series for small children is not the same as creating a successful movie for small children. Could it be because a parent could just plop the kid in front of the Boob Tube and go do their own thing, while a parent must sit through this type of garbage in a movie theatre?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-05-2012 12:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think some of the investors or board members or whatever would have taken one look at this and said, "this is going to suck...let's cut our losses and go right to Nickelodion with it." But no, they drop $40 million into marketing thinking that's going to solve the problem.

Didn't they show it to a test audience with real kids?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-05-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer on my last cinema visit.......I thought it was a "joke"...the audience did a little WTF groan at the end of the ad.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2012 10:03 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I don't think Mr. Viselman had any additional investors or board members. My understanding is that he alone financed the movie and created his own distribution company to release it.

What's even scarier?

Mr. Viselman has plans to make a second Oogieloves movie for release next August, and the abject failure of the first film theatrically has not dissuaded him from going through with it.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2012 11:04 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Havens
Mr. Viselman has plans to make a second Oogieloves movie for release next August
Head trauma must be an awful thing. We should wish Mr. Viselman a speedy recovery. [Roll Eyes]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2012 12:08 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew nothing about this bomb until it hit the theatre. 60 million dollars for this? Wow.

"It's the BEST MOVIE EV-ERR!!!" (This is from the voice box in the lobby standee.)

Teletubbies was so gentle and sweet to watch....

I've heard that no 35mm film was harmed in the making of this thing.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2012 12:11 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce: No 35mm film may have been harmed...but a lot was wasted with this movie! [puke]

Robert Crabtree
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2013 03:29 PM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My local theatre had promo bags and cups for this clunker. On first sight I thought "Ewww". I was fortunate to never sit through the trailer though.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2013 06:55 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have two unopened cases of the promotional glow wands they sent us for the opening weekend. They only last for a minute or two before fading out almost completely, but it's still a lot of fun to light one or two of 'em up every now and then. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: