Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinemark to reward you for not texting during movies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinemark to reward you for not texting during movies
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-15-2012 02:23 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark to reward you for not texting during movies

Source: A/V Club

quote:
Despite this ostensibly being a free country, in which everyone has the right to live as the only actual human being on Earth adrift in a sea of hallucinations who are just there to test him, it is somehow still frowned upon for someone to pull out their phone in the middle of a movie theater and light up their entire row with a little glowing box—even if they're only doing so to ask some of the friendlier hallucinations what's up and holla at them for a bit, even though this is the entire point of "life." Some theaters have attempted to shame this behavior out of existence; others have resorted to more threatening tactics. None of them have bothered to consider that they are just figments of the texter's imagination, and therefore insignificant.

But finally, Cinemark has hit upon the most effective strategy for enforcing the basic standards of politeness, as dictated by the meaningless ghosts who insist on having their own, precious movie-going experiences: Bribing, with money. Or coupons that will save money, anyway, as Cinemark encourages attendees to use its new CineMode app during screenings, which will dim their phones and send digital coupons to those who leave them untouched for the whole, interminable length of a film. These coupons can then be exchanged for discounts on tickets and concessions, should you still be interested in watching movies when you can't also use your phone. If you can even call that "watching movies."

Of course, some would say that "not being an inconsiderate shit-stain who embodies everything wrong with the selfish, solipsistic, attention-deficit-addled society in which we live now" is its own reward. But then, these people are just wraiths and specters floating around your orbit, the rise and fall of their chattering forming the orchestral score of your own personal movie. Get your popcorn coupons, at least.

By Sean O'Neal November 14, 2012

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2012 02:51 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a recent visit to a Cinemark theatre, a policy trailer was shown between the previews and the movie, telling patrons not to use their phone because it's rude and distracting and "they" *will* ask you to leave if you do so.

I appreciated this policy trailer. Although some dude in the audience yelled out "Ok got it" at the end.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-18-2012 03:35 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and you wonder why home entertainment growth is on the rise - so people don't have to put up with this immature generation.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-18-2012 09:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wonder why at all.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2012 04:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I chuckle sometimes at that Cinemark policy because at one point the screen goes completely white and will usually show how brightness isn't even across the screen.

The audio on it is also mixed way too loud. But perhaps that was intentional.

AJG

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-12-2012 09:21 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've already received 2 rewards for using the CineMode app! I think this might wind up being a very effective way to incentivize people to leave their phones in their pockets.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-12-2012 09:56 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

posted 11-18-2012 03:35 AM
...and you wonder why home entertainment growth is on the rise - so people don't have to put up with this immature generation.

I run an arthouse and our average audience age is around 103. They chatter and use their cell phones the same as the the kids. I don't know if it is just obnoxious Americans, but it is definitely not a generational problem.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2012 12:44 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a great idea that more cinema chains should start incorporating. Warren Theaters around my parts has a clever old style clip they run before previews saying to be polite and silence phones, and even not to smoke by showing a guys cigar blowing up like a trick cigar lol. I would use the Cinemark app if any where near me; aka at most 3 hrs away.

Bill Elam
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2013 11:43 PM      Profile for Bill Elam   Email Bill Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a great idea. I might have to upgrade to a smartphone and move to an area with Cinemark theaters.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-28-2013 02:11 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NATO should join forces with Broadway theatres and performing art centers maybe even restaurateurs and lobby the FCC to give all a variance to allow low level, local electronic cell phone jammers to be used within the confines of the theatre proper like they are allowed in Europe. Are American so self-important that we can't be out of cell phone range for two hours? Anyone needing to make a call can step out into the lobby - problem solved.

Then again, if there is something so critical going on in one's life that not being reach-able for two hours could mean the difference between life and death, then maybe one shouldn't be going to the freakin movies in the first place!

Oh wait...NATO, fighting for something to benefit the exhibition industry? How silly of me.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2013 12:54 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think NATO is smart enough to know a battle that cannot possibly be won. Even many NATO members are unable to sit through a whole movie without checking their stupid phones.

As great as phone jammers would be, I think they would cause at least a 25% drop in grosses overnight. The first to quit would be every parent with a babysitter at home. The next to quit would be teens and 20-somethings who are phone addicted. They simply can't imagine being out of touch, not even for two hours.

The people who HAVE quit going to movies due to phone crap probably wouldn't return in sufficient numbers to offset the new ex-moviegoing phone addicts.

So in reality, NATO keeping quiet on that issue IS benefiting exhibition.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-09-2013 05:12 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe NATO can get together with the cell phone manufactures and come up with the equivalent of "Airplane Mode" for the damn phones. If the audience is going to behave like cur rat Alec Baldwins, at least the light doesn't have to be so bright.

Though I'm still all for jammers.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-09-2013 05:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jammers are available EVERYWHERE except here. What makes us so insular? An idea whose time has come and, like usual, NATO can't lead. Louis

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-17-2013 05:21 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy has a good point -- theatre managers who don't take steps to stop distracting behaviour by people in the audience are a problem.

Cell phone made me a theater vigilante
quote:
Editor's note: Kevin D. Williamson writes the theater column for The New Criterion and is a roving correspondent for National Review. His new book, "The End Is Near And It's Going To Be Awesome: How Going Broke Will Leave America Richer, Happier, and More Secure," was published last week.

(CNN) -- I have the great privilege of writing the theater column for The New Criterion, the arts-and-culture journal founded by New York Times art critic Hilton Kramer and pianist Samuel Lipman in 1982. Some people have to be in an office at 8 a.m., but I get to be at the theater at 8 p.m. It is a pretty sweet gig.

The power of theater comes from its ability to surprise. Once or twice a season, I am treated to an unexpected discovery: While movies so often are cut, polished, CGI'd, and market-researched to death, even the most commercial piece of tourist-bait theater -- lookin' at you, "Evita" -- contains within it an element of unpredictability.

The audiences, unfortunately, are drearily predictable. It's the old one-in-every-family phenomenon: They will be late. They will talk. Their cell phones will ring, and some of them, by God, will answer them. They will text, and they may even play a few rounds of Words with Friends during the third act. They are the enemy. They are depressing not because their bad manners surprise us, but because they do not surprise us.

I found myself in the news this week after offering a surprise of my own at a New York theater: The woman seated next to me was on her phone throughout most of the show. (It was "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812," in case you're wondering, a musical based on "War and Peace." You know what show you shouldn't see in New York if you have the attention span of a goldfish? One based on "War and Peace.") When she was not on her phone, she and her friends were engaged in a four-part imitation of a "Sex and the City" brunch conversation. I asked her nicely -- more than once -- but she did not respond to courtesy. She said: "Just don't look." So I took her phone from her and tossed it.

There was a moment of wonderful, shocked silence. She salvaged such self-respect as she could -- which is to say, she slapped me -- and then stalked off in search of her phone. A few minutes later, I was visited by an annoyed gentleman in a black suit and soon enough found myself out on the street.

Yes, it was worth it.

In part, I blame the theater managers. If you seat people who show up late, they will show up late. One or two high-profile ejections a month would go a long way toward beating some sense into the theater-going public.

But you can never design a perfect protocol. Audiences must behave. People are awful, of course -- somebody once observed that every civilization faces a barbarian invasion every generation in the form of its children -- and the Broadway and off-Broadway crowd is full of miscreants.

Theater is New York and New York is theater, and New York is not much like the rest of the country. (Shake Shack, a summertime favorite in Madison Square Park, has a menu for dogs.) New York is one of the world capitals of self-importance. And, with the possible exception of Washington, there is no city in the country where self-importance is more disconnected from actual importance. If I could buy New Yorkers for what they're worth and sell them for what they think they're worth, I'd own Fifth Avenue from Saks to Harlem.

That guy whispering into his cell phone? He isn't getting the news that little Timmy finally has a donor for his heart transplant -- he's just another schmuck having a schmuck conversation with schmucks elsewhere. That guy tapping away on his smartphone isn't restructuring the derivatives markets -- he's playing "Angry Birds." The lady to my right, I am willing to bet, was not receiving her orders from the Impossible Missions Force, and her phone did not self-destruct.

I destructed it. And I am not sorry.

I am advised that what I did was almost certainly a crime. And if the law, in its majesty, should decide that I need to spend a night in jail over this episode, then I will be happy to do so.

But I think of it as an act of criticism. Occasionally, a shocking gesture is called for, perhaps even a histrionic one. I may have met conventional-grade rudeness with thermonuclear counterforce, but I did it in the interests of civility, violating standards to preserve them.

Theater-goers on Twitter jokingly compared me to Batman: Not the hero Gotham deserves, the hero it needs. I don't know about that: Grumpiness is not much of a superpower. But we will live in exactly as rude and coarse a world as we will tolerate, and I do not intend to tolerate very much.

Keith Stata
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2013 09:35 PM      Profile for Keith Stata   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Stata       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small 5 screen theatre in cottage country Ontario Canada. Over the years we have had one consistent policy which for the past 33 years has worked quite well. It applies to talking, feet on the seats, and now cell phones. Simply put we make the rules, if you don't abide by them you are required to leave. We only ask you once, I don't have time to babysit. For the most part our customers comply and are considerate of others.
The few who aren't have a simple choice, comply or leave.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: