Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Disney Vs Exhibitors Over Fact That ‘Beauty & Beast 3D’ DVD Already Selling In Stores (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Disney Vs Exhibitors Over Fact That ‘Beauty & Beast 3D’ DVD Already Selling In Stores
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-13-2012 03:03 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Disney Vs Exhibitors Over Fact That ‘Beauty & Beast 3D’ DVD Already Selling In Stores

Source: deadline.com

quote:
Rival studios tell me that exhibitors are quietly furious that Disney has begun selling the Beauty And The Beast 3D Blu-Ray DVD at Target and Walmart and other retailers without fanfare at the same time the film goes into theaters today. (Walmart lists the release date as October 2011 of this ‘Diamond Edition’ and has already discounted it from $49.99 to $34.96.) As one rival studio exec tells me, “They think what Disney did is very underhanded by sneaking it into stores.” By contrast, last year’s Disney’s The Lion King 3D Blu-ray DVD didn’t go on sale until two weeks after the threatrical release. ”Is Beauty And The Beast 3D Blu-Ray going to be the experiment that closes the windows for sure?” one rival studio exec asks me. “If so the exhibitors have truly lost a major battle.”

Disney in its defense points out that the vast majority of families don’t have 3D televisions yet so the DVD won’t affect theatrical gross. “We’ve talked to all of our partners in exhibition about this and have made no secret about the Beauty And The Beast 3D Blu-Ray DVD being available. In fact there are multiple exhibition partners that are tying promotions into the 3D Blu-ray being available, like AMC and Regal.”

I’m surprised that exhibitors aren’t kicking up a public fuss. But they don’t want to call attention to the Beauty And The Beast 3D Blu-Ray DVD and hurt their own business. Guess they only go public if it’s about the VOD window. Remember all the publicity about Universal’s trial balloon for the Tower Heist same-day VOD premiere for $59.99? (Universal Halts ‘Tower Heist’ VOD Plan As Exhibitors Agree To Further Talks.) Meanwhile, Warner Bros is now trying to put the genie back into the bottle by negotiating longer windows. (Warner Bros Doubles Netflix Wait Period For Discs To 56 Days.)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
”Is Beauty And The Beast 3D Blu-Ray going to be the experiment that closes the windows for sure?” one rival studio exec asks me. “If so the exhibitors have truly lost a major battle.”
Who writes this crap (and without revealing any names)? It's hardly the same thing as if Disney was doing this on a major release, like the next Pixar title or something. A re-release is no big deal.

They are correct that hardly anyone has 3-D TV, and on top of that, the people who DO have them aren't going to have tons of extra glasses to hand out to all the neighborhood kids. So while I would *prefer* that the BR wasn't already out, it's not going to affect attendance much.

The REAL damage might be done (as usual) by the media, if B&tB does great business, they'll make a huge thing out of "It did $35 million opening weekend despite the home release being available." Then that'll lead to people speculating that an early DVD release doesn't hurt theatrical one bit, which may indeed damage the window further.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2012 04:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie has been on DVD for decades, right? Disney never released a 3D DVD and there is no such thing as a Blu-ray DVD.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2012 05:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been on DVD in several different editions (standard Disney practice) and they just released about three new editions in October, including 2-disk and 3-disk Blu Ray and 3-D 3-disk Blu Ray. It previously came out on BR in 2010. I think the previous version was the "platinum edition" and this new one is the "diamond edition." So next year look for the "actual moon-rock edition."

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
It's hardly the same thing as if Disney was doing this on a major release
2,625 theaters seems like a major release to me.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Disney has a really wide release it is between 3500 and 3800 locations on a family feature.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2012 07:31 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
When Disney has a really wide release it is between 3500 and 3800 locations on a family feature.
Likely there are probably no 35mm "film" prints for Beauty and the Beast 3D [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2012 09:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
2,625 theaters seems like a major release to me.
Tom, you are an idiot. The number of screens is not relevant. It's not a high-profile, top of the line, tentpole release. It's a space-filler for the post-holiday season. It's this year's "Piglet" movie. Now do you get it? I doubt it.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2012 09:12 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you are an idiot. The number of screens is not relevant. It's not a high-profile, top of the line, tentpole release. It's a space-filler for the spring season. It's this year's "Piglet" movie. Now do you get it? I doubt it.
Actually, the number of screens is relevant. The movie is projected at number #1 for the box office this weekend. 2600+ theaters is a major release. I am more than certain that this release is more digital with very few 35mm prints [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2012 09:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not, when you consider my WHOLE thought above:

It's hardly the same thing as if Disney was doing this on a major release, like the next Pixar title or something. A re-release is no big deal.
Plus I never said anything about 35mm vs digital prints. That's even less relevant.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2012 09:21 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is not, when you consider my WHOLE thought above:
Actually it is important. The release is wider than Lion King 3D, and also wider than War Horse which BV as well. My hunch is that it would been even wider if 35mm prints were made.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2012 09:56 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 35 MM prints out there but any 35 MM theater has be pretty big to get it. Mike is correct it is filler and Star Wars is a foot in the water re-releases aren't big money winners and not done to be so. Beauty and the Beast isn't number one so far it is a close second but not number one.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2012 10:16 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
Mike is correct it is filler
Actually, Mike's incorrect, its not a filler and its a wide release.....but whateve's, I don't have much value for Mike's opinion anyway [puke]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-13-2012 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my 3D Blu-Ray Beauty & The Beast several weeks ago.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-13-2012 11:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"BB" was released in November of 1991 as a NEW first run feature (and for Tom, there were 70mm prints struck for larger venues...).

This release was definitely a "tentpole feature" release and it banked ($345M) huge during this time..and to gain recognition to be a candidate for Best Picture the following year, only to be beaten out by "Silence of the Lambs".

This 3D reissue is just that - a reissue (it's not a NEW feature, yet as with "Lion King", Odyssey's transforming a 2D feature into a 3D feature is fantastic!) - it's an old feature converted to 3D and released on these so many above screens making Mike right: The number of screens is not relevant.

Oh, and guess what: Our friend is back - the black bars on each side of the picture .. from the 1.66:1 original. Had to zoom my BARCO up to fill the screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: