Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » MoviePass Brings Netflix-style All-You-Can-Watch Model to Movie Theaters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MoviePass Brings Netflix-style All-You-Can-Watch Model to Movie Theaters
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-28-2011 06:16 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
MoviePass Brings Netflix-style All-You-Can-Watch Model to Movie Theaters

Source: slashfilm.com

quote:
Netflix’s all-you-can-watch model works so fantastically for so many cinephiles, it was only a matter of time before someone attempted to do the same with films still in theaters. Enter MoviePass, a new service which will allow subscribers to watch an unlimited number of theatrical releases for just $50 a month. Not too shabby, if you’re the kind of person who goes to the movies at least once a week.

Through MoviePass (via Wired) subscribers will be able to find showtime listings and purchase tickets on their smartphones, and then use their smartphones as tickets to get into the actual film. The $50 gets subscribers as many movies as they can watch, though 3-D and IMAX films will incur an additional $3 surcharge. In addition, MoviePass will offer customers early looks at new trailers, occasional invites to promotional screenings, and the opportunity to pre-order DVDs “as soon as they walk out of the theater.”

Of course, MoviePass won’t be for everyone — at least not yet. I suspect many of you watch enough movies to make the subscription fees worth it, but I have plenty of non-cinephile friends who only catch movies in the theater once a month or so; the service would be extremely cost-inefficient for them. Moviegoers who live in areas where movies aren’t as expensive, or who usually get student or senior discounts, would also be less likely to benefit from the service. MoviePass will probably be most useful for cinema-obsessed folks who have several local theaters, as opposed to those who only have one major theater in their immediate area. But if MoviePass does well in its initial launch, I’m sure the company will keep looking for ways to expand its appeal. A “limited pass” plan is currently being developed, which would allow subscribers four movies a month for $30.

If MoviePass takes off, it could be great news for studios and theaters as well as audiences. Studios would have the opportunity to promote their films to exactly the kind of people who actually buy tickets and DVDs, and the flat fee could encourage filmgoers to check out films they might otherwise skip. Larger audiences would also be great for theaters, who earn more money from concessions the more people actually show up to the theater.

MoviePass beta is set to launch Wednesday with 21 Bay Area theaters (see list below), and then expand to other U.S. cities over the next few months. The company is targeting a fall date for a national launch. The current goal for the service is to offer access to 40% of all U.S. theaters at that point.

Here are the Bay Area theaters that will participate in Wednesday’s beta launch:

Albany Twin, Albany
California Theatres, Berkeley
Shattuck Cinemas, Berkeley
Camera 7, Campbell
AMC Cupertino Square 16, Cupertino
AMC Bay Street 16, Emeryville
Camera Cinemas, Los Gatos
Piedmont Theatre, Oakland
Aquarius, Palo Alto
The Clay, San Francisco
Bridge, San Francisco
Lumiere, San Francisco
Embarcadero, San Francisco
Opera Plaza Cinemas, San Francisco
AMC Van Ness 14, San Francisco
Big Cinemas Towne 3, San Jose
Camera 3, San Jose
Camera 12, San Jose
AMC Eastridge 15, San Jose
AMC Saratoga 14, San Jose
AMC Mercado 20, Santa Clara
Discuss: Will you sign up for MoviePass when it comes to your town? I’m curious to see which of the NYC theaters they’ll actually sign up for the service — if too many of my favorite indie theaters are out, I would be less likely to join. If any you Bay Area folks try the service out in the next couple of days, please share your thoughts in the comments.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2011 07:56 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the major chains in my area have a policy of no passes at all during the first two weeks of any 2D picture and no free passes at all for 3D pictures.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2011 09:50 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are all Movietickets.com properties ... I wonder if it's a deal through Movietickets.com...

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2011 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK Cineworld have a similar scheme for £15 (USD 24) [London is £18 (USD 29)].

3D costs £1.5 (USD 2.5) extra, with 3D glasses costing 80p.

Customers are required to sign up for 12 months.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2011 11:50 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that MoviePass is dealing with the online ticketing services, not specific theatres or circuits. Therefore, I would have to assume that the theatre gets paid the full price they negotiated with the ticketing service, and MoviePass will make it's profit on those customers who utilize the service for less than $50 dollars a month worth of movies. Of course, this will be offset by people attending more than $50's a month worth of movies.

Other reported restrictions (beyond the $3 3D surcharge) are:

• Users are limited to seeing one movie per day. That's a show stopper for those of us who like to see multiple movies on a rainy Saturday.
  • Users can only see a movie one time. If you want to re-watch the same film, you’ll need to pay for your ticket.
  • Tickets are non-transferrable. I wonder how they are going to enforce this.
  • Tickets must be purchased the day of the show.
I can buy AMC silver passes for $6.50 and gold passes for $8. That means that I would need to go out to the movies 72 to 84 times a year for me to break even. Quite honestly, there is nowhere near that number of new movies that I have any desire to pay money to see. Add on to that all the restrictions, I don't see this as a viable business model.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2011 04:54 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinémas Gaumont Pathé in France has "Carte LE PASS" http://www.cinemasgaumontpathe.com/lepass/ They had this for years.

Also UGC in France, http://www.ugc.fr/typepage.do?alias=carteugcillimite#plusui
UGC Illimité, le cinéma sans limite pour 19,80€ par mois.
UGC Illimité 2, le cinéma illimité à 2 pour 35€ par mois.
that is less than what is being charged in San Francisco.

Did AMC tried this in Oklahoma City until Paramount complained and it was cancelled?

Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2011 05:04 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at one of these movie theatres. I haven't heard a peep about this. Provided that the person attends more than 8 shows a month, the deal is better than the best deal they can do at the threatre.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-30-2011 04:06 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
Users are limited to seeing one movie per day. That's a show stopper for those of us who like to see multiple movies on a rainy Saturday.
Users can only see a movie one time. If you want to re-watch the same film, you’ll need to pay for your ticket.
Tickets are non-transferrable. I wonder how they are going to enforce this.
Tickets must be purchased the day of the show.

Well, these are plenty of restrictions, and the one a day thing makes this NOTHING like the Netflix model. I am with Mitchell; I like to see more than one movie when I treck out to the mulitplex, and I can easily watch three movies in the course of an afternoon and evening via Netflix at home, so no, is a lame attempt to go Hi-Tech. One would really have to think this thru whether or not it is any kind of advantage at allm same as any other pre-pay scheme.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2011 07:36 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first read about this, I thought it was an interesting concept, and could possibly be worth it for someone who watches a ton of movies every month. But as other have pointed out, the restrictions mentioned seem far too, well, restricting. One movie a day? I can only see the movie once? Those would definitely be deal killers for me.

There's one more deal killer that would come in to play before any of those restrictions, though: I don't have an iPhone or Android. I think it is a cool concept to be able to use your phone as a e-ticket and have a barcode displayed on screen that is scanned at the door. Many airlines are doing this now with e-boarding passes, and I've used that method. But why not make it optional. Customers should have the option of receiving a physical card that they can swipe at the box office or kiosk to retrieve their ticket.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-30-2011 11:09 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll probably be similar to what they do for groupon and lots of airlines, where you can either use your smartphone to show your order number/barcode or use your phone to show the same thing.

I did that once where my printer wasn't behaving and I needed my boarding pass to fly the next morning. Just open up the pdf and they could scan it from there. But if I'd printed it in paper format, they'd not have cared a bit.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2011 03:08 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are listed right at the top as participating.
Never heard of them either till that Wired article came out.

I looked up their domain name, it was hidden by a DNS protect service. No luck there.

Found a phone number, called it, and was assured by some kid (sounded like a 15 year old) that all the theaters on their list are contacted in advance of being put on their list so that they're aware.

I explained that I was one of them and never heard of them.

He reluctantly gave some names and an e-mail address but no phone numbers...

It sounds to me like they launched without really looking into it. Because our booker is telling us the big boys aren't doing it and the distribs are threatening hell and damn-nation if they take moviepass tickets...

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to go to moviepass.com, and my anti-virus software barfed up a fur ball. Apparently there is also a moviepass virus out there. If you google "remove moviepass" there are a number of sites with instructions on how to get rid of it. Hopefully the providers of this service are not related to the virus.

Just another obstacle for MoviePass to overcome.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2011 12:03 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaand it's dead.

After Theaters Balk at MoviePass, Beta is put on hold

quote:
AMC Theatres and other cinema chains say they will not participate in all-you-can-watch movie service MoviePass, leading the startup to put its beta on hold just as the blockbuster Fourth of July weekend is getting under way.

After MoviePass announced its launch earlier this week, movie exhibitors have been pulling away from the service, which would offer users unlimited movie screenings for $50 per month and allow them to buy tickets using their smartphones. AMC even claimed MoviePass included the theater chain without its consent.

“Plans for this program were developed without AMC’s knowledge or input,” Stephen Colanero, AMC Theatres‘ marketing chief, said Thursday in a press release. “It was news to us to see that we were participants and we will be communicating to those theaters they are not to accept MoviePass.”

Camera Cinemas will also turn away customers who attempt to use MoviePass, director of operations Dominic Espinosa said in an interview with Bloomberg. Landmark Theatres CEO Ted Mundorff told TheWrap he didn’t know about the service prior to the announcement of the beta launch.

“We are stunned that an announcement like this was made, and they ‘forgot’ to discuss it with their clients,” Mundorff said. “We are not interested in outside entities setting ticket prices for us.”

MoviePass coordinated its ticketing with online ticket sellers, instead of cinemas, after not being able to get exhibitors to sign on. The company hoped to get a proof-of-concept out of its private beta, scheduled to take place over the July 4 weekend in the San Francisco Bay Area, and use that to get the movie chains on board, said MoviePass co-founder Stacy Spikes in a phone interview with Wired.com.

With the beta on hold, the company is currently looking at other theaters to test the service, with the aim of resuming the trial period and proving the model to theater chains.

“We’re enthusiastic that once we can walk them through the service they’ll be excited, we just haven’t had that opportunity yet,” Spikes said. “The silver lining of all of this is that this has created the ability to have that dialog now.”

One of AMC’s issues with MoviePass is how purchases of the all-you-can watch pass would be credited to its AMC Stubs members, who receive rewards for ticket and concession purchases.

“As MoviePass was created without AMC’s input and testing, we cannot confidently say the guest experience would be positive for our guests and specifically our AMC Stubs members,” Colanero said in the statement.
‘We kind of turned the spigot off.’

When MoviePass announced its private beta earlier this week, the company was scheduled to launch its service in the San Francisco Bay Area over the July 4 weekend, and claimed 21 theaters were participating. The service began to launch Wednesday but “we kind of turned the spigot off,” Spikes said.

Despite the reaction from theater chains, Spikes said he remains confident MoviePass can move forward.

“If we have to do some modifications to get people to do that, we’re glad to,” Spikes said. “We want to help bring people back to theaters.”

Well, as I said above they never asked us but their "customer service" monkey said otherwise.

I think the whole thing is fishy. According to our online ticketing vendor the only way they would've been able to sell a ticket into our system is if they passed a legitimate credit card to MovieTickets.Com which would then pass it through to our vendor and into our POS server.
So obviously the back-end wasn't even there.

Very fishy indeed.

Indirectly our booker said the distribs were ready to give us hell if we accepted them. Not sure how that would've worked but...If the distribs say no..Well, then you're SOL.
Sory, Stacy.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2011 09:28 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to know that part of MoviePass's business model is selling your data and targeted marketing, as reported in The Hollywood Reporter

quote: Hollywood Reporter

Even though MoviePass proposes to pay full price for tickets, and make back the difference selling data and targeted marketing, the idea of steep discounting is discomforting for exhibitors.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the theaters will get blamed for gouging the consumers again, even though it's the studios who would never go for such a thing, even if theaters would.

I also hate the "bring people back to theaters" phrase that people keep saying. The ones who don't like the experience aren't coming back. Because they don't like it, for whatever reason. There are loads of people who will go to theaters if there are movies they want to see. But they're not coming "back," they're just coming. If we provide something they like.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: