Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Amazon to produce and acquire original movies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Amazon to produce and acquire original movies
Martin Thuss
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Martin Thuss   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Thuss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to story on CBS News

Amazon says it will significantly expand into movie production by acquiring movies for theatrical release and early online streaming.

Amazon Studios announced Monday that it has created a new hub for movies, Amazon Original Movies. It will produced and acquire original films for both traditional release in theaters and early-window distribution via its subscription Amazon Prime Instant Video service. It says movies will premiere on Prime Instant Video in the U.S. 4 to 8 weeks after their theatrical debut.

"Audiences already recognize that Amazon has raised the bar with productions in the episodic realm, tackling bold material in unique ways and collaborating with top talent, both established and emerging. To help carry the torch into the feature film world for such an innovative company is a tremendous opportunity and responsibility," said Ted Hope, the new head of production for Amazon Original Movies.

The announcement marks a new foray into the movie business for the online retail giant, which has in recent years developed a slate of TV series. Most recently, its acclaimed "Transparent" won two Golden Globe honors.

The move comes on the heels of Sony Pictures' unprecedented digital distribution of the Seth Rogen comedy "The Interview." Netflix has also pushed into movies, inking deals with Adam Sandler and the Weinstein Co.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2015 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin Thuss
for theatrical release and early online streaming
Well it better not be TOO early streaming or they'll never get a theatrical release going, unless they're satisfied with ultra-low numbers like Sony got from The Interview.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-19-2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems the folly of this concept has a very steep and protracted learning curve, but I imagine sooner or later they'll master it.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2015 01:40 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody is trying to get into the streaming or online business. I have pretty much replaced my physical media usage with Netflix or iTunes rentals most of the time.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-19-2015 04:34 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a consumer, I'm all for anyone producing movies or series which are original and compelling. Given the number of good shows which the major networks cancel for lack of viewers, I think it's a great idea to see the more cutting edge shows on platforms which don't depend on instant ratings and the corresponding ad money.

I feel like the major networks need to rethink the way they evaluate whether a show is a success or not. Fewer people are interested in tuning in at a specific time to watch a show during the original broadcast. With DVRs and streaming services, more people are happy to be able to watch at their convenience. This is something the networks need to understand and deal with.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-19-2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I mentioned a few weeks ago. Those Amazon and Netflix guys will keep trying to push those simultaneous releases, not just for series, but also for "original movies".

I recently saw a trailer for "The Wrecking Crew" by Magnolia Pictures, they clearly stated "In Theatres and On Demand March 27, 2015". So, even the smaller production houses are giving a shot at it...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-19-2015 05:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's race to the bottom economics. And the "content providers" have no clue in how they're screwing themselves. In their bid to get the movie into the living rooms of home viewers in a faster, more convenient manner they end up making less and less money in the process.

I understand the motivations behind Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video. They're going to do whatever they can to improve their business from their extremely narrow business perspective. However, they need to be paying attention to the overall big picture view of the movie industry otherwise they're going to be stuck producing even more of their own shows while struggling to keep those production costs from dramatically jacking up subscription costs. They need a healthy movie industry, which includes a healthy movie theater industry, in order to sustain a steady supply of big budget movie content.

I'm pretty skeptical about Amazon's proposal. We've already seen concepts like this that are somewhat similar but have gone nowhere. Mark Cuban has used the HD Net premium network to showcase movies before they played in theaters, but the problem is his own Landmark Theaters chain was pretty much the only chain willing to play those movies. All the other chains turned up their noses.

Amazon owns no brick and mortar commercial movie theater chains. Yet they expect theaters to show their Amazon-produced movies that Amazon is going to show on Prime after only 1 or 2 months. How does Amazon expect to get bookings? Theater chains big and small are probably going to avoid those releases unless they get some very attractive rental prices. Even then the appeal of those movies might be limited. Are these movies going to be of the art-house/indie variety that most chains avoid anyway?

My prediction: these Amazon-produced movies aren't going to be bundled in for nothing with a Prime Instant Video subscription. I predict they'll be like many other movies available to download for an extra fee. Lots of movies and TV shows cost anywhere from $2 to $6 to rent and considerably more to buy virtually. The Amazon-produced movies will probably end up costing an Amazon subscriber an extra $15-$20 to "buy" in that early premium VOD window.

quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Everybody is trying to get into the streaming or online business. I have pretty much replaced my physical media usage with Netflix or iTunes rentals most of the time.
Lots of people have done this at the expense of both video rental stores and retail stores that sell movies. Ultimately the movie industry is making less money than it did previously when viewers had to buy or rent physical discs. It's a whole lot cheaper to have Netflix. Hell, one might be able to save money subscribing to Netflix, Amazon and Hulu+ altogether versus the cost of a few trips to the video store per month.

I still prefer renting movies on Blu-ray due to the far better picture and sound quality. That quality difference is going to narrow quite a bit or disappear as Internet download speeds continue to increase. The rental Blu-ray discs don't appeal to me as much as they did years ago due to the rise of rental-specific discs. Many are bare bones with no extras. Some feature forced trailers and TV commercials that can't be skipped. That's a major selling point for Netflix right there.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
I recently saw a trailer for "The Wrecking Crew" by Magnolia Pictures, they clearly stated "In Theatres and On Demand March 27, 2015". So, even the smaller production houses are giving a shot at it...
That would be part of that Mark Cuban effort. The Magnolia releases often play only in Landmark Theater locations.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-19-2015 06:54 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Several of the very small art disturbs - eg:Magnolia, IFC, Music Box- have all had VOD simultaneous,close to and even before theatrical release for several years now. As far as I know, it hasn't hurt their numbers. Art film audiences are different, and much smaller. They also have a much more limited distribution, so it probably helps their numbers overall.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2015 06:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think those day-and-date releases are the exact opposite of a regular theatrical release, in that they really don't feel as if they need the audience and promotion that a theatrical release provides -- or more accurately, they can't justify the investment of a theatrical release, which is expensive unless you can count on a pretty good chance of making your money back.

For companies like Magnolia, they know the vast majority of their intended audience would prefer to see the movie at home, so they only give it to small numbers of theaters for those ultra-fans who want to see it on a theater screen. Whereas a big Hollywood blockbuster needs those mega-millions to break even, so they put money into a theatrical release and hold back on the video for 3 months (or if they want to make more money, they hold back the video longer, except nobody gets that anymore).

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2015 07:17 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
With DVRs and streaming services, more people are happy to be able to watch at their convenience.
Add tablets and laptops into the mix, the younger generation has no problem watching a movie on such a small screen whenever they want.

A huge crash is about to happen in the home video disc market. VOD/Streaming is in fact making more money now than physical media. 2014 saw VOD/steaming earn more revenue than discs in the United States. Also, the studios profit margins are higher on digital than it is discs.

Video stores and Redbox are posting double digit drops in revenue year over year.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-19-2015 07:36 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
They also have a much more limited distribution, so it probably helps their numbers overall.
Personally, I find those limited distribution models of many of those "art" or "indie" films rather annoying. There are a lot of those movies I want to see and I really prefer seeing them in a proper movie theater. Those things floating around on VOD and rental services doesn't really help the exhibitors that still try to make a few bucks of them.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Whereas a big Hollywood blockbuster needs those mega-millions to break even, so they put money into a theatrical release and hold back on the video for 3 months (or if they want to make more money, they hold back the video longer, except nobody gets that anymore).
This discussion obviously is not new. I totally agree on this, Hollywood just needs the exhibition market in their current model. Nothing else is currently going to pay for those mega-productions.

What we definitely will see though, are some mid-sized productions by the likes of Amazon and Netflix and who knows, maybe even the likes of Google. Those companies have pockets as deep as those major studios and are seemingly convinced their model can somehow work...

quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Video stores and Redbox are posting double digit drops in revenue year over year.
The traditional DVD/Blu-Ray rental model already died years ago, what's left are the rotting corpses refusing to die. The last one that went out of business around here, made most money out of selling ice cream and candy, not by renting out or selling videos or video games.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2015 08:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Broadband internet has moved from a luxury to a commodity, something everyone feels they need to have (whether they can afford it or not). The flat-screen TV is in the same category. I've often wondered how many perfectly good CRT sets went to landfills (or garages) to be replaced by flat screens, even though said screens are still only hooked up to SD signals. Or how many working cell phones got tossed in favor of smartphones, all because everyone else was getting one.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-20-2015 09:22 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The traditional DVD/Blu-Ray rental model already died years ago, what's left are the rotting corpses refusing to die. The last one that went out of business around here, made most money out of selling ice cream and candy, not by renting out or selling videos or video games.
Here's a question: just how exactly does Hollywood expect to make as much money with downloads as they were making with physical media? That's really the big question.

Some people are looking at the death of the corner video store as some kind of victory. Frankly, I think it's fucking stupid as hell. Hollywood is ending up with less money.

I have never bought a movie via download or a virtual purchase to store in the cloud. I have no plans to do so either. I prefer a disc that doesn't require an Internet connection to watch or be yet another big chunk of data I have to leap-frog from one external hard disc to another and another as those discs crap out. At least for me the VOD/online thing either means recording a movie to my DVR or watching it on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Physical discs still have some very big advantages over downloading/streaming. There is no contest at all in terms of the video and sound quality. Streaming would only be competitive in that category if everyone had really fast Internet connections. Most people are lucky if they can stream Netflix at 720p. And then there's all the bonus content on the discs. Unfortunately that sort of thing is missing from most rental discs.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2015 11:26 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Broadband internet has moved from a luxury to a commodity, something everyone feels they need to have (whether they can afford it or not).
Most people I know now have adopted streaming and sound bars as their way of watching movies and TV programs. Smart TVs are pretty cool, I don't see the issue in upgrading from a bulky TV to a Smart TV that takes up less space.

I love watching Netflix and the odd iTunes rental. I don't see the need to purchase discs like I did in the past unless the movie is unavailable on Netflix or not available on iTunes. Renting discs from Redbox is fine, but I don't see them sticking around much longer.

I do understand that the blu-ray image and audio are superior, but for the cost and value, streaming is better for my needs.

The only movie I really want to buy is Interstellar on blu-ray and that will only happen if the shifting IMAX aspect ratios are included.

Or how many working cell phones got tossed in favor of smartphones, all because everyone else was getting one.
I can't imagine having an outdated obsolete dumb phone, I use my smartphone everyday and the features are pretty handy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-20-2015 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of disk purchases these days are done on impulse. I know I have at least two dozen disks that I have never watched the movie yet -- I just bought them because I wanted them. But if I was going through a list of movies to "rent" by streaming, I never would have clicked on any of those titles -- because that means you're going to actually commit to watch that title. Those two dozen movies have probably netted the industry somewhere over $300, whereas if they were streamed, my total spend would have been closer to $0.

Still, this is the way the industry seems to want to go, for whatever pie-in-the-sky reason.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: