Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sugar Corn Recipe?

Author Topic: Sugar Corn Recipe?
Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2014 05:47 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We want to test sugar corn, and I know it's a pain to clean up afterwards, but can anyone give me a reasonable recipe to follow? Thanks in advance. The theatre we are testing in has a creators 32oz giant, if that matters.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Meister
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2014 06:48 PM      Profile for Rick Meister   Email Rick Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like a copy of that too please

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-09-2014 05:32 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over here, most people prefer their popcorn sweet instead of salty.

The process isn't much different from the salty version. Add your oil to the kettle, add the right amount of sugar, your kernels and there you go.

The right amount is up to your taste. You'll need to experiment with your ingredients to get the sweetness to your liking.

Many suppliers around here are selling stuff like "popcorn sugar", which is essentially caster sugar with some nasty coloring in it or oil that already contains sugar. Caster sugar works better than normal sugar. I would refrain from using something like icing sugar.

If you want a more caramel-like taste, just use brown sugar instead of white sugar.

If your popcorn is correctly stirred during the popping process and your kettle isn't too hot, the sugar shouldn't burn and your popcorn should turn out great. Personally, I actually prefer the sweet popcorn with a little hint of salt added.

If you're burning your popcorn, because your popper runs too hot, you might also get burned crusts of sugar in your kettle. Those might be hard to scape off by hand, but sugar dissolves in water. So just fill your kettle with water and some cleaning agent and let it sit for a minute or 20 and your problem is essentially gone.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 10:00 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rhonda,

First you're going to need to make sure that your kettle is set about 40-45*F less than it normally would be, otherwise you will burn the sugar, I'm sure if you google it there should be an exact temperature. I used a 2:1 ratio of seed to sugar, so it should be 32oz of corn and 16oz of sugar. Use granulated sugar, not confectioners sugar. Not sure how much oil to add, never tried it on a commercial popper.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-14-2014 06:31 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used the same amounts of oil for both sweet and salted popcorn, also in commercial poppers. I've always used pure coconut oil, besides clarified butter (do not use it in commercial poppers), there's really nothing better.

Some more tips, if it helps:

The thermostat on many of those, if even present, is often somewhat wonky, but you definitely need to check your temperature. If it comes out burned, step it down. It will take a bit longer to pop but will end up fine.

If you keep having problems with burned popcorn, try to decrease your batch size. The burning problem usually occurs at the end of your preparation. Also, you need to be a bit quicker in removing the remainder of the popcorn out of the kettle, or else it will end up being inedible.

Give your popcorn a good stir, so the more colored (and more flavorful) flakes are appropriately mixed and nobody ends up with a bag of tasteless popcorn.

The first batches will probably come out either burned or not sufficiently flavored. Just keep trying until it works, it's not really rocket science [Wink] .

Some people actually tend to like their popcorn caramelized and slightly burned (I remember having to save a bag from a failed batch for a colleague...), but most obviously don't.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-22-2015 08:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone with suggestions towards the ideal sequence of adding oil, suggar, corn? I think it does make a bit of difference wether the oil is added to a preheated kettle, wether the sugar is allowed to caramelize first, etc.? I saw instructions e.g. from Cretors where the corn is added first just in order to prevent overheating. But that is a practical issue, not one of the best recipe ;-)

Was anyone bothered to test different sequences?

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-23-2015 02:30 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if a pre-heated kettle will really do much to the taste of the end product, but it will reduce the amount of unpopped kernels. If you heat those kernels slowly, some kernels will leak the enclosed moisture as steam slowly starts to form.

If you pre-heat the oil and allow the sugar to melt before you add the corn, the end result will be a darker, crunchier, more caramelized pop corn. There are plenty of people who like it "darker", but in general people seem to prefer lighter caramelization around here.

Also, you should speed up your kernel-adding process or you'll end up with popping kernels, hot oil and sugar flying around. You really need to get the remaining product out of the kettle rather quickly after the popping dropped below about a pop every two seconds or stuff will end up burned.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: