Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Switching from Coconut to canola oil for popcorn. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Switching from Coconut to canola oil for popcorn.
James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 12:03 AM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've used Coconut oil as long as I can remember but we can't ignore how much it costs relative to canola oil anymore.

I'm curious if I have to do anything differently when using canola oil? change the amount dispensed, different temp on the kettle?

Does anyone notice a real difference in taste?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 12:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Advantage with using Canola Oil = pourable in any temperature.

Disadvantages = burns easily, blackens kettles, not as flavourable as with coconut due to the low fat content, and has a stale odor while cooking - not a welcoming odor to eat the product.

Check out blends that uses soybean oils.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 02:25 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've eaten enough popcorn over the years to distinguish between good/bad cooking oil and Coconut Oils. Not all Coconut Oils are alike either. I've mentioned this before,but if you used this HAIN BRAND in the Link,you would never go back to anything else. Your Popcorn Customers would be so pleased with the Flavor this produces that I can give my 99.9% guarantee on it.The problem is this stuff must be so Popular and in demand that its hard to get. I've been on Amazon's waiting list for a few months now and Costco and Sam's Club have gone to selling an inferior Brand. You may pay some more for this,but if your Movie Patrons keep coming back to your theater for just your Popcorn.than the extra cost is worth it...Hopefully they will Catchup to Supply and demand;I'm down to the bottom of the last Jar...

http://www.amazon.com/Hain-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B00CXA0AKA

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 02:55 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are just two types of popcorn I get down my throat: Made with real butter, which is a delicate process usually done by hand, not really suited for cinemas... Or the stuff made with coconut oil. The rest just stinks and your customers will notice too. In the end, it will most surely cost you money. I've seen it myself: Switch from freshly made popcorn to the premade stuff delivered in big bags, made with some cheap, tasteless oil. Your customers will keep buying popcorn at first, but then you will notice a drop in sales. Management will explain it with stuff like: People want something DIFFERENT, so they will end up buying all kinds of new, fancy, pre-packaged flavors of popcorn or a bunch of new snacks. The reality is: They don't buy your stuff anymore because it stinks.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 06:48 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just raise the price of the popcorn .25 cents....nothing beats Coconut oil!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 09:57 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking from a customer perspective, Canola oil tastes and smells like crap. Theatres that use it don't get my business, or at least my concession business.

Years ago, when the cholesterol content of coconut oil was the hot topic of the day, a small local circuit here in NJ put on all their menu boards that their popcorn was "Proudly Popped In Coconut Oil", and they did very well with their popcorn sales.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 01:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never switch away from coconut oil. Our customers frequently tell me that our popcorn is way better than Carmike's (and I think they pop in Canola, in bulk). We fresh-pop every day.

My wife works 3 days a week in Billings, so she goes to the Carmike once in a while. She says they bring in a huge Rubbermaid plastic garbage can and dump popcorn from it into their warmer bins. Very appetizing.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 02:28 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snappy Popcorn sells a great popcorn which comes in a plastic bag in two sizes to fit your kettle complete with coconut oil and seasoning. Just cut it open and dump it in. Our customers loved it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 02:30 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... What IS a "Canola?"
Do you need to have a license to shoot them?
How do you get oil out of a Canola? Do you just grab a Canola and squeeze?

[Big Grin] [Wink]

Actually, "Canola" is a neologism for "Canadian Oil Low Acid."
It was a trade name for rapeseed oil, invented by the Canadian Rapeseed Growers Association in the 1970's. They invented the word to avoid using the word "rape" in the name for their product.

Natural Canola oil has to be refined quite a bit in order to make it palatable. It normally contains a high amount of erucic acid which is unpalatable and, some say, not good for human consumption. The Canola/rape plant, as it is found today, has been bred to have less erucic acid and require less processing to remove it. Hence the term "Low Acid."

Canola has a lower smoke point and ignition temperature than coconut oil. If you overheat Canola oil, it tastes bitter. If you aren't paying attention to your popper, it can catch fire easier.

I wonder if it is possible to correlate the frequency of popper fires in multiplexes with the use of Canola vs. coconut. [Wink]

Canola just sounds pretty icky and nasty to me and, like you guys, I don't like the taste of it. I never use it to cook with at home. I use peanut oil instead. If popcorn tastes like it has been popped with Canola, I won't buy it anymore. Yes, you can tell!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 03:01 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the Odell's Classic Blend, which is a blend of corn and coconut oil. I don't know how it compares to pure coconut oil, but I know we get complements from our customers on a daily basis. We're paying $50 for a 35# BIB.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 04:51 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We pay $90 for a 50 lb steel pail of Coconut Oil. The theatre has been using it for over 30 years and we wouldn't want to change to anything else.

I am usually not too fond of popcorn popped in peanut or canola oil when I go to another theatre.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 05:19 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I would never switch away from coconut oil. Our customers frequently tell me that our popcorn is way better than Carmike's (and I think they pop in Canola, in bulk). We fresh-pop every day.
DOLLAR TREE Popcorn taste better than CARMIKE Popcorn; and after having to pay $13.55 for a Medium Popcorn & Pop(minus the KY JELLY) I will never buy from their Concessions again. You would think an Outfit that Big with as many theaters that they have across the Country would be able to have some kind of reasonable Price on most of their Concessions... [thumbsdown]

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 06:00 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never change from coconut oil to anything else. It's the best, always has been, always will be.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 09:23 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let the chains sell their crap... we use only COCONUT OIL. Tastes good and holds the heat better.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 09:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
You would think an Outfit that Big with as many theaters that they have across the Country would be able to have some kind of reasonable Price on most of their Concessions...
Prices aren't based on how big of an Outfit they are...they're based on cost of raw materials + labor + operational expenses X the percentage of profit they need to make.

We are a microscopic company compared to Carmike but our prices can be lower because we aren't paying city wages or mall rent or running 24 screens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: