Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » sales people? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: sales people?
Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 10:59 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an experience yesterday with a film company sales person that shook up how I perceive that part of my job. He wanted me to hold his movie, clean, for a third week, which I had explicitly said when I booked it that I wouldn't do and still wasn't willing to do. When begging and then threatening me didn't work, he doctored an email and sent me a screen shot of it to convince me I had agreed to hold his movie. I sent him a screen shot of the actual email he sent me and he backed off. But it was so childish, obvious, and deceitful... I was reminded of that hilarious Comcast call that went viral a couple of months ago. I guess I hadn't realized until that moment that our sales people are just that. Some sell Cadillacs and some sell used Hondas, but they're all sales people. Am I the only one who's had that kind of experience?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 11:06 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is an honest way to do sales, and a slimy way.

The best salesman that I personally know is a chap at the local hardware store here. He's a truly nice guy, he's instantly everyone's friend, and he could sell sand in the Sahara Desert.

He doesn't try to rip you off and does his best to obtain and sell you what you need. (But he makes darn sure you have brushes to go with that gallon of paint, and do you need sandpaper to prepare the surface first? This primer is on sale this week too!)

I've always wondered why he sells hardware instead of cars or real estate or something where I'm sure he could make a lot more money.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have mixed feelings about salespeople -- I can tell right away when I'm being "sold up" just for the purpose of getting me to buy the bigger one or whatever. I hate it when they won't back off and just want me to spend more money. But I like it when they suggest something that would be a really useful addition to what I'm buying.

The real gem of a salesperson is the guy who will suggest something cheaper if there is a better, less expensive alternative to the original thing I was looking for. People like that are rare indeed.

I've never dealt directly with distributor salespeople because we've always used a booker, but our booker has definitely had his favorite and least favorite studio salespeople over the years. Although I've never heard of one of them doing something as underhanded as what Melanie experienced. I'd report that person to his/her superior. A person like that gives all salespeople a black eye.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2014 12:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That salesman may not realize it, but he really put his nuts out there on the chopping block big time.

Technically speaking, what the guy was pulling actually fits within the definition of mail and wire fraud. That's a federal level crime, and a felony at that. Add in a count of forgery to go along with it.

That salesman probably won't get so much as a reprimand from his employer for such unethical actions. But if anyone wanted to follow through on prosecution that salesman could be looking at far worse than merely losing his job.
[evil]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an experience recently that was quite disturbing. There is a Movie Theatre POS System out there. They are fairly new to the market, I won't mention their name. I am assuming they got my e-mail address from the last N.A.T.O. meeting I was at. So, on and off, for about a year, I've been getting cheesy sales e-mails from them. I don't mind straight forward "buy our stuff" e-mails from companies. I usually glance at them and move on. Well, last week, I received an e-mail in my work e-mail box that looked like a reply to a personal ad (?). It was from an "unknown sender" and was borderline explicit in it's title. It was an ad for this company's POS system! I was floored that this company would send out this type of e-mail. I don't know why they did this.. But they will never get my business because of this.

<EDIT>

I went back into my mail box and found the e-mail. Yes, it is still as disturbing as the first time I read it.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 01:57 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure their email address wasn't jacked and this isn't spam?

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 03:21 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this conversation went back and forth all afternoon. The more I think about it, the more disgusted I am. Luckily for me, they don't have anything I want to show for a while. ;-) Cuz I don't have it in me to talk to him right now.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 03:46 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was one guy who went from small distrib to small distrib who screwed us everytime we booked a movie with him. Totally vile person. Years later at a convention I found out he did this to everyone he could. It eventually caught up with him and he is out of the business. At least I hope he still is.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 04:22 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many sales people are short a few cards from a Full Deck IMHO. I find this to be mostly True with Car/Truck sales people. I recently was in a GMC/CADILLAC Dealership and was looking at a 1/2 ton Truck. I was telling the Salesman back when I sold Rechromed Bumpers; that the only difference between a CHEVY & GMC Truck Bumper, were the mounting bracket holes were in a different location.

He proceeded immediately to tell me how much better a GMC was over a Chevy Truck.After he babbled on for 10 minutes;I reminded him that outside of Badges and a few tiny trinkets;they are the same Vehicle. This is typical of a Dealership Salesman. I'm sure if he was Working at the CHEVROLET Dealership;the stories would have been reversed... [Roll Eyes] [puke]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-02-2014 05:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I specifically bought my current car from a guy who was low-pressure and answered my questions without trying to sell me stuff that I didn't need or want. We need more people like that.

I deal with salesmen all the time in my regular job (IT). There are lots of sleazy people in sales, but there are also some good ones who actually know the product that they are selling and work with the customer to meet his needs without trying to sell him something that is either too expensive or too cheap to meet those needs. Those are the ones who get my business. The others just get forwarded to my voicemail by the receptionist (and I delete the messages without responding to them (which I normally consider rude, but I make an exception to that for slimy salesmen)).

edit: spelling

[ 12-03-2014, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 05:43 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably have a few guesses on who this guy might be....

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sales People that I loathe the most and should be Locked up;are the ones that Prey upon the Elderly and uninformed Senior Citizens. In my own situation; A Roofing Contractor Salesman talked my Mother into Putting a New Shingled Roof on her Home in JANUARY.Telling her if she didn't do it now that they would be too busy in the Spring and Summer.January in Montana is one of the coldest Months in our State and usually has a foot of Snow during that Month.Everyone Knows that the slowest time for Roofing Contractors are the Winter Months;but this Sleazy Clown used my Mother's Naivety to con her into a Roof she didn't need and also the wrong time of year to put it on. Of course she never bothered to Call me or my Brother before she proceeded;thinking that she better act immediately from the Crap this Salesman was telling her.

Although after getting 1/2 the money back from this Con Outfit;I know this Goes on Constantly and the Elderly are easy Targets for Fraud and Deception.In other words like taking Candy from a Baby in most Cases. if I had found this Guy at the time;he would be needing some immediate Medical Attention. [Mad] [puke]

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 06:03 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I keep all the e-mails back and forth from the reps. They sometimes forget the deal they made on terms and I have to send them the booking confirmation email back. But I believe they have always been forgetfulness and they have always complied with our agreed upon terms.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 07:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auto dealer service departments are good for this also - to bait and snag the senior citizens and the ignorant.

Example: My mother drives a KIA Spectra and bought it new. She takes it there to do her oil changes. One day, the shop told her timing belt needs changed .. on a vehicle that had only 23K miles on it?!?

She even had the app't setup for the change and I stopped her in time that belts are good for 60K miles and told her the above story..and this was during the wintertime..which business is slow at this time of year and that dealership wasn't pushing out KIA's too well.

She cancelled the app't in a quick.

-Monte

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte: The Local NISSAN Dealer here sent out a Customer Flyer offering 3 oil changes for 60 dollars. My Friend who has a newer Altima bought the Package. I went with him for the 1st oil change. While we were waiting in the Customer Lounge;I said you watch;someone will come out in a few minutes with a list of items that need replacing or repair.

Sure enough after about 10 minutes,the service manager comes out and gives us this concerned look about the Car. According to him we needed a new timing belt,new shocks/Struts, and he said that the rear tires need replacing. I immediately spoke up and said; Boy is that a coincidence;we were over at NAPA just the other day and bought the same items you described us needing. We were planning on changing the parts out this weekend.

He didn't know what to say and had this Dumbfounded look on his Face, like were not gonna make any money today on these Guys. Oldest Trick in the Book by Car dealers offering a good deal or free inspection on your Car and always finding something that needs replacing or additional Servicing at extra cost.They always hope a Women brings in the Car because they are the most Gullible and easy target at believing what the Service Manager tells them.

If this happens to you when having your Car serviced,use my little Senario above or just say Well were really in a hurry today; I'll just call you in a day or two and set up an appointment,OK! [Roll Eyes] [beer]

BTW: Sent you an Email & PM about a Video at Jay Leno's Garage
on a 1950 NASH AMBASSADOR CUSTOM....Really Cherry Car and the 2
Dollar Story Jay talks about will crack you up...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: