Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Why isn't there a Star Wars trailer thread yet? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Why isn't there a Star Wars trailer thread yet?
Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2014 05:17 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear fellow Film-Tech Forum Participants,

I think it is time to admit that 1) We are all nerds and 2) there was just a disruption in the nerd-force. I don't think this is the right category to talk about the new Star Wars trailer's content, but can we at least talk about the trailer release? I'm surprised nobody has started the thread yet!

30 theatres were going to get the trailer. Cool... for those 30 theatres. Do any of you work at those 30? If so, were people out of their minds over it? OR, did you get screwed when they decided to release the teaser online anyways? From what I heard about the AMC in Westminster (the only Colorado theater), the staff that got off at 2am were coming back in at 8am to watch the trailer when the keys unlocked.

Also, does anyone know when the rest of us can expect access to the trailer? Will is just be in the upcoming week's trailer packs?

Anything else notable about the Ground Level aspects of the trailer release?

With love always,
Michael

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 07:05 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Answer to your subject: Looks like you started one...

I guess the days of wonder are long gone... George Lucas managed to destroy most of the hype with his lackluster prequels and his constant messing around with the existing movies with every new release. Star Wars jumped the shark or nuked the fridge quite a while ago.

Around here, those new Star Wars movies only create the slightest amount of buzz. I cannot imagine anybody buying a movie ticket just to see this god damn trailer.

Anyway, this new trailer is boring as hell. It's about 25% just black to start with. And what exactly should we get all excited about? Cross-shaped laser swords? Tie Fighters? X-Wings? A Millennium Falcon?

Lucas probably saw it coming and decided to sell it all off to Disney before there was nothing of value left. Maybe J.J. Abrams can give the franchise some new swing, but to get the world excited about Star Wars again, he needs to deliver one damn good movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 09:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are underestimating the value of Star Wars.

If Abrams presents a good portion of "new" mixed in with a generous sampling of "classic" and tops it off with a killer story, it could be one of the biggest hit movies ever.

I think most people would agree that the biggest problem with the most recent 3 movies has been the lame storylines and the weak direction. Also, this upcoming movie will be into uncharted territory, so that should be a plus. With the last three, people knowing where the story was going to be going before even seeing the movie had to be a detriment.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2014 09:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I think most people would agree that the biggest problem with the most recent 3 movies has been the lame storylines and the weak direction.
Although I'm not disagreeing, I do believe you forgot about the ridiculous "comic relief" character Jar Jar.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 09:19 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Jar Jar Binks to you!

Played by the famous actor Roger Rabbit if I recall.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 10:09 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q: Why isn't there a Star Wars trailer thread yet?
A: Because NOBODY CARES!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-30-2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer and I thought it was cool but I simply can't masturbate every day for an entire year until the movie comes out.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 02:29 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I simply can't masturbate every day for an entire year until the movie comes out.
 -

[Wink] [beer]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2014 02:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm surprised nobody has started the thread yet!
I expect nobody started it because:

1. None of the theaters that got the trailer have Film Tech members working there

2. Film Tech people don't give a poop about trailers running on YouTube - they'll wait to comment until they see it on the big screen where it belongs. (That'd be my situation.)

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 03:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Lucas probably saw it coming and decided to sell it all off to Disney before there was nothing of value left.
There are only two movies coming out in 2015 with any chance of opening bigger than Star Wars (Avengers 2 and Hunger Games 3.2). I'm guessing with the Disney marketing muscle, it opens to 165-175 million in the U.S..

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one am very excited about the new Star Wars! No theaters near me had the trailer but I seen on a Star Wars site. Loved the new trailer and the openings scenes premise of the idea of a force sensitive StormTropper is really interesting. I liked the new 3 sided lightsaber as well.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-30-2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is with the December release date? There are many more months to soak people's wallets during the Summer and then have a nice "Holiday" home release to dip again.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-30-2014 05:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMFG THE NEW STAR WARS TRAILER WAS AWESOMMMMEEEE!!!! DID U SEE IT? ITS ONLY THE MOST AMAZING THING EVAR! WE START OUT WITH AN UNMASKED STORMTROOPER!! THIS CONFIRMS THAT THERE ARE AT LEAST 5 BLACK PEOPLE IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE, TOLD U STAR WARS WASNT RACIST. THEN WE SEE SOCCER DROID OMFG JEDIS LIKE 2 PLAY SOCERRRR GONNA BUY 9 TICKETS RIGHT AWAY!! THEN WE SEE LUMBERJACK SITH. THIS PROVES THAT CUTTING DOWN TREES IS SOMETHING ONLY EVIL CORPORATIONS DO AND EVIL IS REPREESENTED BY SITH AND SITH ARE EVIL AND THEREFORE THEY CUT DOWN TREES DUH. MAYBE HE IS DEXTER?? OMFG BEST MOVIE EEEVVVVVVERRR!!!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-30-2014 05:39 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, no lens flare?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-30-2014 05:44 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I think you are underestimating the value of Star Wars.
Well, if it wasn't for Disney, who were heavily invested in George Lucas' IP already (think of all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones theme park attractions, some of which just recently got a makeover) and the considerable value of those other assets that came with the deal, like Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound, he would never have gotten $4B out of it. Actually, he could probably have gotten a few billion for the Star Wars IP alone a year or 15 ago. The franchise really did make a nose dive after the last trilogy ended, at least around here. Remember the 3D re-release of Episode I back in February of 2012? Nobody was lining up for that one either, I was sitting alone in the room, the Saturday night it on opening weekend and this was no incident either...

What "worries" me is that Disney didn't commit to something like a new trilogy. No, they want to put a whole load of new movies out there. So, we don't know if it's just three new movies or maybe even six, nine or god knows how many.

This trailer carries Abrams signature already. I'm not sure I do like it and it fits with Star Wars. It looks hectic and unnecessarily mystifying. Star Tr...Wars meets Lost... Then again, let's not judge a movie by its teaser trailer just yet, let's at least wait till the next trailer [Smile] .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: