Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theater renovation/restoration/re-opening anew

Author Topic: Theater renovation/restoration/re-opening anew
Jamieson McGonigle
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Jamieson McGonigle   Email Jamieson McGonigle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for some guidance/advice from anyone with experience in renovating and re-opening an old theater. Pretty much need ground up advice from renovation to thinking about how to update/upgrade the interior layout of the place to acquiring all the necessary nuts and bolts needed to run the place (projection, PoS, concessions, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please contact me via private message if you're up for talking to me about it. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-15-2014 05:46 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old a theatre? If you are talking about a pre-70's single screen, you have a totally different animal than a 90's multiplex.

The league of historic American theatres has a rehab manual that may help you get started. It's not going to give you all the nuts and bolts, but does have good basic information whether historic theatre or not.

Rehab Manual

Jamieson McGonigle
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Jamieson McGonigle   Email Jamieson McGonigle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this, Martin, this is very helpful. I'm not certain we'd qualify. It's a bit complex. I will PM you if you don't mind.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-15-2014 07:33 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will get a lot more useful information if you just post your questions here instead of trying to be coy about what you're doing. There are a lot of knowledgeable people reading this forum, and you will learn a lot from reading the discussions here.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2014 02:12 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the theater located in the NYC area? I'm asking as I got nosy and Googled "Sunnyside NY."
Is the theater in the Cinematour site with pictures?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2014 11:52 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it this one...

SunnysidePost.com

quote: sunnysidepost.com

The commercial building that is presently occupied by Center Cinemas, PJ Horgan’s and Dime Savings Bank is likely to face the wrecking ball, following a recent sale of the property.

The property, located on the corner of Queens Blvd and 43rd street was sold by Dime Savings Bank for $6.675 million on Dec. 20 to “42-25 Queens Blvd. Corporation,” a newly established firm run out of Astoria.

Michael Christopher, a representative of 42-25 Queens Blvd Corp., said “We have no plans at this point for the property” and have “not decided what to do with it.”

However, local real estate agents expect the new owner to develop the site and build residential units. The annual operating income from the property is $326,000, barely enough to cover the debt servicing on the property.

Furthermore, given the size of the lot (16,300sqf) and the recent up-zoning, a developer can build a structure with a maximum floor area of 68,424sqf. The current building only has a floor area of 16,080 sqf.

The owner of Center Cinemas, Rudy Prashad, said he put a $5.2 million bid on the property. His goal was to keep the existing building so the future of the cinema would not be in jeopardy.

“It’s a neighborhood theater and I wanted to keep it,” Prashad said. “It’s a place where working families can take their kids to the movies and not spend too much.”

Prashad said he had recently spent $600,000 putting in new screens, a sound system and digital equipment.

landmarkPrashad said he was disappointed with Dime Bank since he was in lease negotiations with them for nearly two years prior to the sale. He said the negotiations went back and forth as there was a dispute over flooding and water damage that caused big problems in the theater’s downstairs bathrooms.

He said he then learned that Dime was selling the property through an article on the Sunnyside Post.

The Sunnyside Dime branch, which operates out of that building, is scheduled to close this summer. A letter was sent out to its customers last week saying that their accounts would automatically be transferred to its other branch at 45-14 46th Street.

The cinema’s lease ends December 2014. Meanwhile, PJ Horgan’s lease ends June 30, 2018. Horgan’s has been operating at this location for nearly forty years.

There is also a dentist’s office in the building. Its lease ends Oct. 31, 2014–although there is a provision to extend it.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2014 02:41 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the Center Cinemas, there was clip on the TV news last week indicating that the theatre was closing at the end of December, and the building is going to be demolished to make way for high end apartments.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: