Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sonic Projector Heating Blanket (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sonic Projector Heating Blanket
Dave Marlow
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2014 10:14 AM      Profile for Dave Marlow   Email Dave Marlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can order a heating blanket to cover a digital projector so I don't have to heat the projector room during the winter months?
Thanks Dave

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-09-2014 12:57 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be totally mistaken, but I've never heard of anybody using a heating blanket, let alone someone producing a specific version for a projector. I don't know if it would be such a smart idea either.

Besides that, what about the other equipment in the room? Stuff like servers, sound processor(s), amps?

Dave Marlow
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2014 01:22 PM      Profile for Dave Marlow   Email Dave Marlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Talked to a guy that runs a Drive-In that was using a heater made by Sonic for projectors all our electronics sit underneath the projector, I have never seen one, I thought it might be worth looking into.

Thanks Dave

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-09-2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our projection booth isn't heated. We just leave the door open at closing time. It's cool in there but not coldm even when the outside temp goes below zero.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-09-2014 03:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever measured the temperatures in that booth during winter? What kind of winter do you experience there? Are there other parts/areas of that 'building' that need to stay above the freezing point, e.g. water lines?

I guess you could just use a common heating blanket with a wall-thermostat. The projector manufacturer should give you information about suitable storage temperatures.

- Carsten

Dave Marlow
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2014 04:50 PM      Profile for Dave Marlow   Email Dave Marlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a Drive-in, we are closed from October till May, all water lines are drained and winterized, temps can fall as low as 20 below 0.

Thanks Dave

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-09-2014 05:05 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The time honored system in drive ins is to use a light bulb, 15-20 watts in the BOTTOM of the rack, the soundhead, and in the lamphouse. Even at 25 below, you would be surprised how warm the upper rack, etc is.

You may not be able to get carbon filament bulbs much longer. They are cheap and easy to get right now. Large wattages are not needed.

You could also wrap the devices in the kind of pads the movers use. They are used In Alaska to wrap aircraft engines.

All of this works just like putting a bulb under your car hood in Winter.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2014 06:22 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen em use electric blankets set on low heat, seems to keep the oil in a Brenkert flowing!!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-10-2014 03:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two drive-ins over this way with Barcos don't do anything except put the lens cap on the lens during the winter months.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-10-2014 04:32 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The time honored system in drive ins is to use a light bulb, 15-20 watts in the BOTTOM of the rack, the soundhead, and in the lamphouse.
What a bad, bad suggestion, Louis!

These damned bulbs waste up to 5% of their energy consumption on visible light which is lost to heating the rack. There must be more efficient options!

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-10-2014 05:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Marlow
I Talked to a guy that runs a Drive-In that was using a heater made by Sonic for projectors all our electronics sit underneath the projector, I have never seen one, I thought it might be worth looking into.
If you say Sonic, the first thing I think off is that blue hedgehog thing from Sega or burgers and fries. [Wink]

What are you using now? A heater? If not, did you ever check how low it actually goes? That 25 deg. F doesn't really sound that shocking, depending on how well your building is isolated I guess.

While it might just work, the idea of wrapping a projector in an electric blanket doesn't make me feel good. Especially because what happens if that thing short circuits or otherwise malfunctions and causes damage from overheating or even fire?

Sure, an (electric) heater could also malfunction and start a fire, but that thing isn't wrapped around your expensive equipment, there is still some distance between your equipment and that device.

Besides that, I'm not sure if an electric blanket will save power in the end. A heater can be regulated to keep the temperature just above freezing. If that happens just a few times in a year, the total power usage should be low. Can you do the same with a heating blanket? Will it not just constantly drain some power while trying to make the projector feel cozy and warm?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-10-2014 07:52 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel: 25 degrees F. BELOW zero. (-25F) That is cold!

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2014 12:15 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the music industry we used a Dampp-Chaser to control humidity. It is very hard on wooden keys and mechanisms with wood,leather and felt all glued together.

They also made heaters for clothes closets and cupboards. Here the problem was control of mold and mildew.

Look here for more information.

http://www.dampp-chaser.com/home.php

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-10-2014 03:01 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
25 degrees F. BELOW zero. (-25F) That is cold!
Meh.

[Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-10-2014 03:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even -25 would never be that cold inside of a building.

A little space heater in the booth would keep it livable for a projector, I would think, if the booth was sealed up well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: