Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Bed-Bug Infestation Closes Theatre

Author Topic: Bed-Bug Infestation Closes Theatre
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2014 11:07 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater Temporarly Closes After Bedbug Infestation
Link To Story

LODI-

Two teenagers who are covered in bed bugs bites claim they got them while
sitting in movie a theater in Lodi.

“When we woke up in the next morning, we looked at each other and saw that
we had all these red bumps all over us,” one of the girls said.

The girls did not release their names to FOX40 and did not show their faces
on camera, because they were embarrassed.

“We don’t want to get bullied. And we don’t want to talk about it all day either,”
one of the girls said.

Family member Matthew Wendt told FOX40 the girls went to see a movie at
the Lodi Stadium 12 Cinema Friday night. Saturday morning, they woke up
with hundreds of bites on their arms and legs.

“You shouldn’t have to worry about bugs at your local theater,” one of
the girls said.

Wendt said he reported the bites to the manager of Lodi Stadium 12 Saturday
morning, but moviegoers continued to sit in the same theater.

“At around 2 o’clock when the movie got out, he called me and said they
actually found bed bugs inside the theater,” Wendt said.

The two girls are not the only ones who claimed bed bugs bit them in
the theater.

“It was a really bad rash on my arms and on my legs too. From where you’re
sitting, from where my skin was touching the seat,” Stephanie Booth said.

Booth revealed faint bite marks on her arms. She said she brought her
daughter to the theater a few weeks ago, and that they both had bed bug
bites afterward.

“I wish they would have told us about it or put up a public notice,
because she was taken out of school for itching, and I had to leave
work already,” Booth said.

Lodi Stadium 12 did post a public notice on their doors Sunday. It read:
“IN CONSIDERATION FOR OUR PATRONS WE ARE CLOSED TODAY FOR A
THOROUGH INSPECTION. WE ARE SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.”

Wendt said management decided to close the theater only after he posted
about the alleged bed bug encounter on Facebook.

“It went kind of viral and when it got really big, that’s when they closed
the whole theater down,” said Wendt.

FOX40 has reached out to the movie theater for a comment. They have not
yet responded.

A Facebook post from Lodi Stadium 12 says the theater will be shut down
until Monday for an inspection.
]

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-19-2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
And we don’t want to talk about it all day either,”
one of the girls said.

They're going to talk about it for years [evil]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2014 04:46 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote: "The girls did not release their names to FOX40. . "
>Yet two lines down, a 'family member' who, based on his
comments is most likely their dad, is quoted BY NAME !
D'oh!

Quote: "and did not show their faces on camera,
because they were embarrassed...."
> Oh, c'mon- - they weren't THAT ugly.
(Sorry, just being sarcastically snarky here today [evil] )

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2014 05:16 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those BEDBUGS need to get their Priorities Straight. That's why their called Bedbugs not Theater Seat Bugs. I guess a person should carry a can of LYSOL when they Visit these type theaters and give your Seat a good Spray Over before Sitting in it [Wink] [beer]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2014 05:34 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked the theater's website. They are still closed, or rather there are no showtimes posted for today.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2014 07:15 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do theaters change the coverings on head rests between each use? This is a standard practice in the airline seating.

The spread of head lice could become a problem with the high back reclining seats with head rests.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-20-2014 11:05 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that practice went away. According to a flight attendant writing on Quora, the tray tables and armrests get "wiped down" between flights and trash is picked up, but everything else just gets cleaned occasionally.

Given the quick turnover between some flights I've been on, I even have my doubts about the armrests and tray tables.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-20-2014 03:03 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone who knew a Ryanair flight attendant once told me that the reason they put leather seats in all their planes is not to give passengers a more comfy travelling experience (which, let's face it, has never been Ryanair's priority), but rather because it's easier to clean vomit from them in cases when a traditional seat would have to be removed from the plane and reupholstered.

As for bedbugs on a plane, I'm not sure if anyone has done the movie, but there certainly is [url= http://"http://www.ba-bites.com/"]a]http://"http://www.ba-bites.com/"]a[/url] website[/url]!

This must be a nightmare for the theater owner, though. I've encountered mice and rats in the non-public areas of one or two theaters, but they're relatively easy to get rid of (and, contrary to the myths and stereotypes, are scared of people and tend to stay away from them) compared to bedbugs.

Edit - whenever I remove the space from the link above, it reappears in the actual post. A bug of the Grace Hopper variety in the forum software, maybe?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: