Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Guardians of the Galaxy trailer pushes the theatre experience (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy trailer pushes the theatre experience
Martin Thuss
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 08:29 AM      Profile for Martin Thuss   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Thuss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Denver for the NAC Expo and went to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes at the UA Denver Pavilions Stadium 15 (short walk from my hotel).

One of the many trailers (wow, way more than I usually see before a movie in Canada) was for Guardians of the Galaxy that pushed the theatre experience. At one point during the trailer, the picture got smaller and smaller and the audio got quieter until the picture was tiny and framed in a TV. The trailer asked a question along the lines of "Why would you want to watch this movie on a tiny little TV when you could watch it on the big screen?" and the picture and audio went back to "normal" (big and loud).

As an aspiring exhibitor, I was happy to see a trailer that really emphasized the theatre experience. Was this trailer specific to the Regal chain or was this generally available?

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 10:19 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Specific to Regal and they have been doing it for a few years now.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-14-2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"GO BIG OR GO HOME ! "

-Claude

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like those. They look kinda corny in our smaller auditoriums though.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2014 02:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Star Wars "special edition" reissue trailers had a theme like that. It showed a battle scene playing on a small TV in the middle of the screen, and you hear the narrator in a tinny voice saying "For an entire generation, people have experienced Star Wars the only way it's been possible...on the TV screen. But if you've only seen it this way, you haven't seen it at all." Then a "tie fighter" zooms toward the camera as the Star Wars theme blasts out of the speakers and the picture expands to full size.

Here it is on YouTube: (Play it loud for maximum effect)

Star Wars Special Edition trailer

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 05:13 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, looks like they're all on YouTube.

Generic Regal GBoGH(I hadn't seen this one until now)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge-x4mPuZ_4

Pacific Rim- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4p-q9VraXE
Lone Ranger- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM24Py82438
Fast 6- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXhzKBd-sE
Good day/Die Hard- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlft3UhWLrM

The Pacific Rim one is my favorite

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-15-2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Notice how those selfish Regal bastards never mention in those trailers that the food at home is cheaper and you don't have to wear clothes or bathe or anything.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2014 01:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could also say "Our $10,000 Cretors popper can make way better popcorn than your $49 WalMart microwave any day!"

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome these are really cool to see! Would have liked to seen the Star Wars one in a theater on a huge screen.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 09:19 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like those trailers!

We don't have any Regal locations closer than an hour away, so I've never seen them, but they definitely get the point across.

NATO should commission generic trailers like these for all members to use.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-16-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's strange is, trailers like that are "preaching to the choir" -- people who ALREADY ARE going to the movies.

What's needed is a spot that would come onto the TV at home and say, "You see how big this screen is you're looking at? Your local theater has a screen that's BIGGER THAN THIS WHOLE ROOM! The average movie theater has a screen over SIX HUNDRED INCHES.* And a sound system to match! And they'll make the popcorn for you. If you REALLY want the big screen movie experience...you're not gonna find it in your house, dude."

As for NATO, they have been talking about doing a "go out to the movies" campaign on and off for about 20 years and nothing ever seems to get done on it. I don't know if they just can't find the right approach or what.

*NOTE: I have no idea if this is the correct average but I'll bet it's close.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 06:03 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the one thing I found odd, was that the trailer that was shown before 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' this morning on the ETX screen presented some of the scenes in it's full screen IMAX framing - I thought that was an IMAX exclusive, or is the recomposing of the image also for the other 'specialty' screens?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-17-2014 03:03 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least here in Europe there seems to be no "special format DCP" available for the latest Ape movie or at least they didn't distribute it on the standard media. I will see it tonight, so I will watch closely for "special IMAX framing" in the "vanilla" DCP.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-18-2014 05:51 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what trailer did you see before the movie?

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2014 11:42 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
What's strange is, trailers like that are "preaching to the choir" -- people who ALREADY ARE going to the movies.
|

I agree that all these trailers really do is that they preach to the crowd that is already going to the movies. This is where a different strategy must come into place, obviously a superior presentation is warranted but there also has to be something else needed. I can't put my finger on it, but something needs to be done.

quote:
[QUOTE=Mike Blakesley]
What's needed is a spot that would come onto the TV at home and say, "You see how big this screen is you're looking at? Your local theater has a screen that's BIGGER THAN THIS WHOLE ROOM! The average movie theater has a screen over SIX HUNDRED INCHES.* And a sound system to match! And they'll make the popcorn for you. If you REALLY want the big screen movie experience...you're not gonna find it in your house, dude."

I don't think advertisements reinforcing the size of the screen will get people to the theatre. I assume most people already know that the screen is bigger than at home. I have changed my stance on my next comment, its the shorts windowing and monster openings that is keeping the extra people away. There is no exclusivity or urgency at making sure I see a movie in theaters, within 120 I will be able to see it at home and online.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: