Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Anyone used Popcorn Glaze? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone used Popcorn Glaze?
James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on a campus and the school colour is purple. my boss asked me to come up with a way to make purple popcorn. I bought a product called Glaze from Poppacorn. Used a separate old popcorn machine and clear oil so we can just roll it out when we want something special.
I did a lot of experimentation but never really got the popcorn to be evenly purple. Some kernals would be very purple, others would still be white. Overall it looked okay but I'd like to get it an even purple.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
in advance for any replies.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-02-2014 02:05 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried to make coloured popcorn. I suspect that the secret would be in stirring it fast enough when you add the dye so the dye gets spread as quickly as possible throughout the popcorn. Otherwise it would soak into the first few kernels and there's nothing left to do the last ones.

I wonder if you would get better results by making the popcorn first, then dying it afterward.

James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2014 02:29 PM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The glaze is basically coloured sugar, it makes sweet popcorn. I suppose I could check into somehow dying the popcorn without killing anyone.

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2014 09:09 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this is stupid, but have you just tried food coloring in the popping oil?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2014 09:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gold Medal Products have a powdered caramel product where you add it into the kettle as you're cooking the corn.

Makes great caramel corn, but the cleanup take longer.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2014 12:14 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is unrelated to Coloring Popcorn; but if you want the best tasting popcorn ever than use this particular Coconut oil.I've eaten popcorn cooked in Coconut oil before but it didn't come close to the flavor this oil gives. Even used it in a Macaroon Cookie Recipe. Maybe being Extra Virgin makes the Difference. You
gotta try this Brand I don't think you'll be disappointed...

http://www.amazon.com/Hain-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B00CXA0AKA

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2014 12:22 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like that's just going to be about as good as it gets, I mean that's even how regular popcorn works... First bit out of the kettle is very yellow(oily and salty) and then fades to completely white by the end of the batch.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 02:39 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting double oil on one batch once in a while and mix it in the rest of the cooked corn does fantastic wonders for a good bag of popcorn.

When I used to work with MANN Theatres, we had a manager that asked us to double the seasoning salt on every other batch. This would make the popcorn saltier, thus large drink sales would increase. Plus, we had O'dell's clarified butter topping, which is the real thing with just the water extracted out of the butterfat.

But, the real big treat in making excellent popcorn is to have a very hot kettle - a kettle that can reach well over 500 plus degrees. One dumps the seed in, then oil with these hot kettles and that popcorn just roars out of the kettle more fluffier and larger since that hot kettle would really get the moisture in the seed hot real quick causing it to actually explode due to sudden evaporation of the moisture.

My all-time favorite kettle to use is the Manley Cascading unit. This kettle was made from cast aluminum and was a good inch thick making it well to do to hold all of the heat. Thing cooked so hot that the oil, when getting hot would be clear as water and thin as well. Might smoke a bit, but you toss seed in that super hot oil and you had your batch done in a minute with the most excellent popcorn made.

Gold Medals and Cretor's can't touch a Manley bar none.

Our new kettle nowdays are so wimpy with just barely reaching 380 degrees when popping begins.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 11:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have the manual from our old 24oz machine. The Manley oil heat test on that machine was, put the oil in (we used a big spoon), put a couple of kernels in the oil, wait till those kernels pop and then put the rest of the corn in. That was for the first batch only....subsequent batches, the kettle would be hot enough to heat the oil right away and you could put the second batch of kernels in right after you put the oil in. How we managed to never burn down the place in those days still amazes me.

The Cretors instructions tell you to put the corn in first, then add the oil, THEN turn on the heat, which is a direct contradiction to the Manley instructions that "the oil should be hot when you add the corn." So we use a variation on that...we put in the oil for the first batch, turn on the heat for a couple of minutes, THEN put in the corn and seasoning. It's slower, but gives better results.

The old manual also said that if popcorn is popping in less than a minute it means the oil is TOO hot. If the kernels are coming out huge and white (as opposed to yellowish and regular sized) that's another sign it's too hot and the corn will be cardboardy and tasteless.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-04-2014 01:02 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was taught to add the corn first. Then the oil. Safer that way.

Also, there's a certain ratio of oil to corn that we used to follow. I don't recall it anymore, but our corn measuring cups were designed to hold the correct amount when filled all the way to the top. Oil was delivered to the kettle via calibrated pump. Temp was around 360F.

Whatever the recipe -- I advocate sticking to it, and not go monkeying around with it like Monte suggests. That will lead to inconsistent results, which I regard as a bad thing.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-04-2014 01:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard ratio was 3:1 for seed and oil. Thus, a 32 oz kettle close to 10 ounces of oil delivered.

Some chains thin the ratio down to 4:1 to reduce oil usage for economical purposes.

Nice thing on remembering these ratios is one can use this math when ordering both contents - like one orders 12 bags of seed and 4 BIB of oil.

I'm the only one that plays with the recipe. I don't show this to anyone - the ratios and standard procedures are used when I train employees on working the kettle.

-Monte

-Monte

James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2014 03:01 AM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We stick to the standard ratios when making popcorn, however we add less salt and the customers appreciate it. We also use coconut oil, expensive but tastes best. I also throw out all unused popcorn at the end of the night so each night has fresh popcorn. I know I wouldn't want to pay $5.00 for day old popcorn. Creates a lot of waste though and I've never been able to figure out a use for the old popcorn.

However the purple glaze seemed to work best if we used a double batch of oil and put the glaze powder in first and let it melt before putting in the corn. The main problem with this was I was the only person tall enough to see into the kettle to know when the glaze had melted.
I'm glad I used the spare machine, it does create quite a mess and I imagine would need major cleaning to go back to regular popcorn.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-04-2014 10:57 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The conservation officers here (i.e. game wardens) use old popcorn to bait bear traps. Bears love popcorn.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-04-2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I'm the only one that plays with the recipe. I don't show this to anyone - the ratios and standard procedures are used when I train employees on working the kettle.
Monte, my concern with the comment was that, by posting it on a public forum, (a) you have shown it to someone; and (b) your intention seemed to be to encourage others to mess around with their popcorn recipes. These threads show up in Google searches, and the thought of some newbie stumbling onto this and following your "advice."

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-23-2014 12:49 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's money to be made in marketing popcorn agressivly as a Health Food. Start by using less salt. We loudly proclaim "Popcorn, the Health-Food Snack. We use a blend of only the purest coconut and safflower seed oils* plus, we use 2/3rds less salt." With the asterisk below a picture of a tub of popcorn with the popcorn spilling all over the table, we explain, "*Coconut Oil, unlike the fat from meat and cheese, contains only Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) which are fatty acids known to have a therapeutic effect brain cells and other organs, while safflower seed oil contains linolenic and linoleic acid which is known to lower cholesterol. And as everyone now knows, salt has a direct, negative effect on blood pressure -- the less of it, the better. Be Healthy! Eat Popcorn!"

They can add more salt to taste -- we have salt shakers on the counter and on each shake we have a sticker that says, "Use sparringly for better health." It has increased sales by about 10% and costs us nothing except the cost of the signs.

Of course we ALWAYS used coconut oil and add a tablespoon of safflower oil to the cooker. And it sure isn't difficult to NOT shake tons of salt on the popcorn before it's dispensed. The salt shakers are there so if they want to kill themselves, it's on them. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: