Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dolby 3d glasses washing with a dishwasher. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby 3d glasses washing with a dishwasher.
Bijhan Clarke
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2014 04:14 PM      Profile for Bijhan Clarke   Author's Homepage   Email Bijhan Clarke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok so im the the new theater manager of the super new amamazingly awesome prospector theater in ridgefield ct. We're a non profit theater thats mission is to employ adults with disabilities it's a one of a kind theater (check us out at prospectortheater.org) we have 4 screens all 3d dci super compliant but we only have enough water flow to run a house hold dish washer to clean 3d glasses! I plan on retro fitting the trays in the dishwasher to fit a marlin 780004 rack, but any advice on how I can run detergent, rinse agent, and sanitizer on one wash?

the dishwasher is a GE GLDA690

any ideas would be greatly appreciate and I'm brand new to the forum so if i posted in the wrong place or did anything wrong sorry in advance

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-19-2014 06:20 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't give you a knowledgeable answer, but my gut instinct is that some dishwasher detergents can be pretty caustic, and so personally I'd be worried about what they might do to any coatings on the lenses. Does the manufacturer have any guidelines as to what is and isn't safe to wash them in?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-19-2014 06:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need high water flow to run a commercial dishwasher. We have lousy water pressure here and our washer runs fine.

The commercial washers keep the washing water in a tank and just refill it when needed.

Bijhan Clarke
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2014 09:33 AM      Profile for Bijhan Clarke   Author's Homepage   Email Bijhan Clarke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i plan on using Ecolab chemicals not dish washing detergent, the project has gone to far for me to switch washers now.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-20-2014 12:03 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ecolab chemicals need to be dispersed at separate times. The amounts are tiny (a few mL) and the run cycle is very short (around 90sec). I don't see how you can do this properly in a household dishwasher.

Also, make sure your water temperature stays above 120F.

Bijhan Clarke
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2014 09:14 AM      Profile for Bijhan Clarke   Author's Homepage   Email Bijhan Clarke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could i run 3 cycles each one with a different chemical?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-27-2014 10:20 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better to hack the dishwasher and modify or replace the control board. You want quite short cycles and good temperature control. And no hot drying!
I think the end cost for something that works (a lot of hours will be spent on this) is going to exceed a Dolby approved washing system, and any problems will all be on your head.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-27-2014 05:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to doing things the right way? Didn't we used to care about that?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bijhan Clarke
could i run 3 cycles each one with a different chemical?
Believe me, even if that worked it would get REALLY old, REALLY fast. It's already a lot of work to collect the glasses, rack'em, wash 'em, and (in our case) wipe the water spots off 'em. Plus a home washer with hacked racks probably won't run 48 glasses at a time the way an approved washer will.

Tripling the amount of time you spend washing glasses will either drive you batty or make you decide it's just not worth it.

If I were you, I would fund-raise for a good commercial washer and do it the right way.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-27-2014 07:00 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's where it's nice to just hand out the Real D glasses. There's nothing to wash or maintain. Whatever gets put into the return box (or picked up off of the floor while cleaning up) is sent back to the depot when the box is full.

And that's all there is to that.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-28-2014 02:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. But, in the meantime, you're stuck with a silver screen. And your customers get to watch 2D movies through that stupid RealD rig, which nobody seems to move out of the way for 2D.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Plus a home washer with hacked racks probably won't run 48 glasses at a time the way an approved washer will.
Correction: The approved washer will wash 120 pairs of glasses in one wash, which takes only 90 seconds.

If you're getting spots, have you tried "deliming" the machine? A pint of distilled white vinegar worked for me.

Also, when was the last time you checked your dispersion amounts?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-28-2014 02:40 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say what anyone else does, but I always move that screen out of the way for a movie that's not 3D. Why wouldn't you? It takes all of three-and-a-half seconds to do that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-28-2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since nobody is in the booth anymore (in most plexes) there is nobody moving it out of the way. All of Manny's points remain valid.

Then there is the fact that you also get to send 50-cents of every ticket to Real-D for your "free" glasses.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-28-2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
Correction: The approved washer will wash 120 pairs of glasses in one wash, which takes only 90 seconds.
I was thinking of the smaller size washer which we have....it does one rack (48 glasses) at a time.

quote: Manny Knowles
If you're getting spots, have you tried "deliming" the machine? A pint of distilled white vinegar worked for me.
We have hard water here, so nothing that I've tried works perfect. Sometimes we get lots of spots, sometimes hardly any. I'll have to try that vinegar...I've been using the regular deliming solution.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-29-2014 05:01 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is OT, but since you guys posting here are knowledgeable about Dolby's 3D glasses, let me ask -- I need to get my hands on Dolby 3D glasses. I am working on a dual projection 3D Home Theatre system where we MUST place speakers behind the screen; therefore the screen must be must be acoustically transparent. Thing is, if I am to use polaroid, of course the screen needs to be silverized. So just use a perf silver screen...BUT, not that simple -- we can't use even a microperf silver because of the proximity of the seats and secondly the morie pattern issue.

So let's go with a woven Acoustic Transparant screen. OK, but while there are plenty of companies offereing white AT screen material, there is only one company (that I can find) in Germany offereing a woven AT silverized screen. Only problem is...well, see if you can figure it out; for my 10 width AT silver screen with frame, they want $18,000. As in US dollars.

Plan B.

The other alternative of course is to use a white AT screen and use the Dolby 3D system. Assuming the lenses in a pair of Dolby glasses when removed from the frame can be used in front of the lenses of the projectors, a Dolby system should work to solve this problem. Thing is, where can I purchase Dolby glasses in a very small quantity, like say 8 to 10 pair? Or does Dolby frown on that?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: