Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Military discounts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Military discounts
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2014 10:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionally we get asked if we have a military discount. We don't have one, mainly because there is no military base near here (the closest one is about 200 miles away) and I really don't see the big need for a discount anyway. People in the military have my complete respect and admiration and I'm very thankful for their service, but they're getting a paycheck and benefits just like anybody else who works for a living, so why should they (and no other profession like police, fire, etc.) get a discount?

Besides I feel like our prices are pretty reasonable already and we operate pretty close to the bone as it is, so we can't really afford to give discounts anyway.

Most military people are fine about it, but sometimes they seem sort of offended when told that we don't have a discount. What's everyone's take on this? SHOULD we have a discount? Are we the only theater in the country that doesn't offer one? If you don't have one, what do you say when you get asked about one?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-08-2014 11:41 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two rates here, Child (defined as 12 years old and under) and Everybody Else.

No senior discounts, no military discounts, no... you get the idea.

I used to have a senior discount and even a "family rate" for parents with children, but when I put in my digital cinema setup I used that as an excuse to get rid of all of that; now I have two admission categories, period.

Someday I might ditch the whole "child admission" thing and just go with $X per seat. I haven't got to that point yet.

I occasionally have someone asking if they can get in free when they accompany a disabled person. There is a card that you can get here that entitles you to free admissions at movie theatres. I don't accept that card and I have had people get a bit upset about that, but there appears to be a misunderstanding on the part of the people who have those cards. When I point out to them that if I let them in free then I don't get paid for that admission by anyone they are surprised -- most of the card holders apparently believe that the "free admission" is being paid for by the outfit that issues the cards; when they find out that is not the case they are immediately more understanding of the situation and the "support person" then pays for his admission as usual.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 01:54 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well being a Senior Now;I'm certainly not going to complain if a theater is going to give me a Discount. Paying $5.50 verses $9.00 is a pretty good deal.The Theaters uses to consider you a Senior at 55;Then they raised it to 62. The City Buses did the same also. While getting Older isn't really pleasant it does have a few positive perks...

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 04:33 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Discounts for military personnel is not something you will find around here, although there are quite some bases in the vicinity (Dutch, Belgian, German, U.S. Army, NATO, etc.).

Besides seniors (with a varying definition) and children, you'll often find discount prices for students. The biggest problem is enforcing this rate though, because what defines a student? And how do you identify a student? Some flaky student pass/card/thingy?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-09-2014 05:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are your normal ticket prices?

For a theatre with "normal" ticket pricing, I would do it. The cost would be almost nothing, and it would make some customers happy and likely to return. Same price as senior discount ($1 discount or something). I would do a student discount, too, for the same price. Either would require some sort of identification.

The discount for accompanying a handicapped patron makes no sense to me...maybe that is a Canadian thing?

That said, I could see not doing discounts (or doing the child discount only) if your prices are already significantly lower than the competition or for discount houses or similar. What kind of discount would a dollar house offer, anyway?

Something that I find to be sort of amusing is art-housey venues that don't show anything that would interest children, but yet which still have child prices....

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 05:48 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Something that I find to be sort of amusing is art-housey venues that don't show anything that would interest children, but yet which still have child prices....
That's for when they show a rerun of a Disney classic. Which happens... never (because when was the last time Disney allowed to show one outside of the theatrical release window?).

Chris Daigle
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 08:10 AM      Profile for Chris Daigle   Email Chris Daigle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike.. we had a very similar situation here. We never offered military discounts but would occasionally get asked about it. We always explained that our regular price was cheaper than the nearest competitors military discount price and although most people were OK with it, there were always some that seemed annoyed. So about a year ago we finally decided to add an Active Military category that was $1.00 less than our regular adult price. Over that year, we've probably only sold a couple hundred tickets in that category, so based on the fact that we were only keeping about 45 cents of that dollar ourselves, the discount has probably only cost us about $100 bucks. It has been worth it for us and we don't regret putting in the discount.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 08:51 AM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We give a military discount. We have no base near us and really only active duty service men and women take advantage of it when they are home on leave. We feel that the perception out weighs the cost. We are also the cheapest in a 50 mile radius with our regular ticket prices. Hey, it's your call, you own the theatre but what will it really cost to have a ticket class that no one takes advantage of. I will tell you it is a hit with our older veterans as we have had many comment about it even if they can't take advantage of it.
Lance

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-09-2014 09:15 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the need of offering a military discount really depends on both the theater's location in relation to military installations and its pricing model.

The two first run theaters here in Lawton both offer military discounts. Starplex is the latest owner of the Central Mall 12 theater and they've undercut Carmike's pricing for both military and non-military customers. Fort Sill is next door to Lawton and a lot of retired military people live here. Military discounts are kind of expected.

A lot of smaller towns nearby don't offer those discounts, but their standard pricing is quite a bit cheaper anyway. I think a military guy, be he active duty or retired, is acting like a cheapskate if he expects a discount off a $4 evening ticket, plus $2 surcharge to see a first run movie in 3D. C'mon, man!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 09:15 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're a non-profit art house, so we can always use that for an excuse. We have a $2.00 Kid Ticket, of which we sell a few dozen a year (usually a classic or some anime thing).
Our adult levels are Member and Non-Member. We also have coupon books.
There is a huge military base here, and they closed their theatre rather than go digital. We don't have a military discount, but we do sell discounted tickets to the base that the base then resells. Hasn't been a very popular program.
Our biggest "request" is for a senior discount. They usually just come up to the window and ask for two senior tickets or something. I just sell them a regular ticket and no one says a word about it.
As seniors make up probably 70% of my audience, a senior discount would knock out a large hunk of our revenue.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 10:37 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seniors in my area certainly expect discount and they will share with you you displeasure of not having one.

I have found that military wives expect the discount.....and for themselves to use the discount too. Those of you who offer a military discount, you allow spouse to take advantage of it too?

I agree with Mike about the original thought. There are many others who can claim a reason for a discount: Fire, police, teachers, to name a few. Where do you stop?

Personally I like the idea of simplicity. One nice reasonable price for all.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 10:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't offer any discounted tickets, not even matinee pricing. We just keep our tickets low for everybody.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 12:06 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of the old joke about the young army recruit who
goes up to the box office and asks how much a ticket costs.

"Our general admission price is $5.00" sez the ticket-lady.

"So how much is it for privates?" asks the recruit. [Big Grin]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 12:07 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Frese
I have found that military wives expect the discount.....and for themselves to use the discount too. Those of you who offer a military discount, you allow spouse to take advantage of it too?
Off topic, My dad was a career Naval Officer. It was quite common on the bases for Officers Wives to "pull rank" and jump to the head of the line at say, the beauty parlor. Other kids would try to it in school (kids will use anything to establish a peck ing order). My dad made clear to my mom AND we kids, he is the one in the military and none of us have any rank at all. [Wink]

I agree about having simple prices. The local AMC must have about 10 different pricing levels once you start adding 3D surcharges and what not.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't a have military discount but I just punch a senior ticket.
It also depends on the person. You can tell if the person is just out to get something for nothing or if they are genuine.

We don't "card" for senior prices, anyway. If the person looks close, I don't question. Further, I occasionally just punch a senior ticket automatically for people who look reasonable.

So, the senior rate is kind of "fluid" around here, plus I only get, maybe, a dozen military in a year. One or two senior tickets in the mix don't even make a blip on the radar.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: