Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Online candy purchasing

Author Topic: Online candy purchasing
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-19-2014 04:55 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you folks purchase your candy online?

Shipping rates from USA to Canada can be prohibitive, especially with online ordering, but a friend of mine maintains a US "mail drop" address so I occasionally order jawbreakers (for my gumball machine) and mints from gumballs.com and have them delivered to his US address; my friend then brings me my stuff on his next trip to "pick up the mail" which he does about once every couple of months or so.

It occurs to me to ask if there are other good websites for obtaining candy that I don't know about; the only one I've ever ordered from is gumballs.com.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-19-2014 05:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We buy our candy from Mountain States Concessions out of Salt Lake City. I like them because they have good prices and a deal where if you buy 35 cases or more, you get free freight. I *wish* they had an online ordering system but they don't...just an online catalog.

If I could find a place that had a similar selection and terms AND an online ordering system I'd consider switching just for the convenience of it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-19-2014 05:38 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many concession items, like paper products, function as a co-op. You can buy from ANYONE and the local guy delivers. National chains purchase this way; janitorial products, too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-19-2014 06:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great if you have a "local guy." I don't think there is a real candy warehouse (that sells theater-related stuff like popcorn, Odells, etc.) within 600 miles of here.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-19-2014 07:33 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get my popcorn supplies from a outfit called Harlan Fairbanks. They take my order over the phone and deliver it to me from their warehouse in Regina. They don't charge for delivery for orders over... $250? Something like that, anyway.

For candy, I get everything from Costco and Real Canadian Wholesale, both in Regina. I have to go there and fetch it myself, though. Over the past couple of years the candy aisle at Costco has been shrinking, to a point where there's not much candy that I can get there any more.

Which is of course why I am hoping for a good reference to an online store I can purchase stuff like that from.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 01:29 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, what about Sysco in Billings? I used to get all my concession and janitor supplies from them for many years.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 01:30 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Have you ever tried wholesaler "SERVICE CANDY COMPANY" in Billings. They have been in business for decades. Since Forsyth is only 90 miles away you wouldn't have to buy 35 cases at one time.I haven't seen there Prices for some time but when my Dad had his Coin-0perated Machine Business in the 60's and early 70's he always bought from them. I'm not sure if the BOHLINGER Family are still the Primary owners...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 02:20 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We buy occasional stuff from Service Candy but they don't have online ordering either, and they don't have a lot of theater-sized products that we like, nor do they have popcorn oil in the BIBs. So they are mostly the fill-in stuff for us.

I haven't checked in to Sysco, that's a possibility.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 03:22 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Sysco for some of our products, but they don't really carry much in the way of theatre specific concession items. But they are a great source for Coke syrup and janitorial items. Their candy selection is usually limited to the most popular items like Junior Mints and Red Vines, but that will also depend on what kind of accounts the regional warehouse services.

I've looked at prices from on-line retailers and found that in most cases our specialized vendors offer the best prices. With on-line retailers, they may have a competitive case price, but they will often ding you with shipping. The other issue is they often can't guarantee delivery the say way a specialized vendor can.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 05:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank try Wallace and Cary
http://online.wacl.com/
http://online.wacl.com/corporatepr//

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 07:00 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I just sent them an email.

Years ago I got a catalogue from that outfit that I really couldn't make head or tail of -- their pricing had so many regional factors, upcharges and you-name-it that figuring out how much they actually wanted for a box of chocolate bars turned into an exercise in advanced math.

After looking at that that, I said forget it and subsequently more-or-less forgot they existed.

Maybe they have their act better together now. I gave them my phone number so they'll likely call me.

Thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: