Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cineplex: pay more to sit in the center

Author Topic: Cineplex: pay more to sit in the center
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 06:47 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineplex wants to start charging moviegoers more money for the best theatre seats

quote:
TORONTO — Movie exhibitor Cineplex Inc. said Wednesday it will soon launch a test program in Toronto that allows moviegoers to pay a premium price for the best seats in the house.

That is, the two rows in the centre of a theatre that are considered the sweet spot for cinephiles.

Chief executive Ellis Jacob also said the company wants to grow its arcade business.

Jacob told shareholders at the company’s annual meeting that gaming “presents a real opportunity” as it looks to grow beyond just movie theatres.

Jacob says Cineplex plans to continue testing the concept with several arcades, called Xscape, located inside its theatres.

The gaming centres feature popular racing games and billiards, and let winners exchange their points for prizes. By the end of the year Cineplex aims to have 16 locations across the country.

Jacob says if the concept proves successful, Cineplex will consider expanding outside movie theatres with either standalone arcades or a sports bar concept.

Recent reports have suggested that Cineplex has partnered with private equity firm Onex Corp. to make an offer for U.S. restaurant and arcade chain Dave and Buster’s.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 06:56 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got my own opinions about such practices, especially the way they announce it: It ALLOWS them to pay a premium. Sure, they must have been literally begging for it! Now it *allows* them to pay more for the same service!

But it's not like "tiered seating" is something new, it has been around in many forms as long as theaters exist...

In my experience though, those aren't the most popular seats in the average theater, for some reason, many people want to sit as far back as possible.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 07:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they really want to get GOOD publicity out of it, instead of bad, they should also REDUCE the price on the crappy seats.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-14-2014 08:11 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some airlines have started doing that too, charging extra for window and aisle seats as well as for the first few rows in each cabin.

"When you got 'em by the short hairs, their hearts and minds will follow..." [evil]

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2014 09:29 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineplex has 74% of the Canadian market share, they block access to competitors, there are no real large competitors in the Canadian market and 30% of customers are already paying premium prices for AVX, IMAX or VIP.

Ticket prices are $24.99 at some locations and just recently they raised prices to $12.50 outside the DT Toronto market.

People will pay for it.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 10:37 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is something that was offered during prime weekend shows, I could see where it might have some traction. The problem is it would only work during times that an auditorium would normally be full enough for those seats to otherwise be taken.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 10:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very grateful I only pay a Senior Admission of $7.50 and $4.00 more for 3-D here in Honolulu at all Regal Theatres shows both day and night [Smile]

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: