Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Last Wish (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Last Wish
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 06:19 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a situation that I've never encountered before, and I'm really torn as to what I should do.

A lady just phoned me to ask about Heaven is for Real, which I'm playing soon. Her mother really wants to see it, but she is very ill and they're not sure if she'll live until the movie is here.

If she does make it that long, they want to have a private show just for her and the family on an afternoon.

Normally, I have no problem doing private shows for groups. For example, I occasionally have a private afternoon show for the residents of a local group home for "intellectually disabled" people who don't normally come out in public. They have their own private show and if someone starts screaming or having a temper tantrum they aren't bothering anyone but themselves.

Since this is kind of a "last wish" situation, I'm really inclined to do a private show for this lady if she's still around to watch it. My concern, though, is what if she dies here while watching the show? I don't particularly want my theatre to be known as the place that Mrs. So-and-so died.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 06:24 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's so hard not to make a joke...

Do it. In the unlikely event she dies, you will be known as the nice guy who gave an old lady her last wish.

I know no good deed goes unpunished, but the point is the good deed, not the punishment.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 07:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do it, and if she dies, call the local funeral director. Let the funeral director call the police, ambulance service or whatever it takes. If you call the cops yourself they might come blazing in with lights and sirens and all. If you call the undertaker first, you can ask him to help with keeping it out of "red lights and sirens" mode.

The word WOULD still get out, but you'll get more great P.R. out of it than anything.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2014 10:36 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had a gentleman pass at our theater. Was a Saturday morning Fathom MET Opera (Aka 5+ hours)

A fellow manager went in to clean up afterwards, there was one fellow left presumably sleeping... turns out he was permanently sleeping.

Lot worse ways to go!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 11:25 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thus far, the closest thing that I've ever had was several years ago, when an old chap came out at the end of a show and said, "I can't get my wife up." I called the ambulance and they came and took her out and, as far as I know, she survived. I never heard anything more about it after that, anyway.

I also had an arrest in the middle of a movie once -- I shut the projector off and turned on the lights, the police went into the auditorium, did their thing and left, and I re-started the projector and finished the movie. That episode was the talk of the town for a little while...

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 04:19 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sometimes say there is no thing as bad publicity. And although I don't always agree with that, I agree with Martin and Mike that the chance of her dying just during your show are very slim. And even if it would happen, why would that make you and your business look bad in any way?

Having someone arrested in your theater is something else, as some people could consider your place a "dangerous place" to be. Do you think there are many people in your community that will stay away from your place because "someone died in there"?

quote: Mike Blakesley
Let the funeral director call the police, ambulance service or whatever it takes. If you call the cops yourself they might come blazing in with lights and sirens and all. If you call the undertaker first, you can ask him to help with keeping it out of "red lights and sirens" mode.
Although probably unlikely, the only danger I could see in not calling for an ambulance directly is that the person in question wasn't actually dead (at least at the time you made the call) and that you could be considered somewhat liable for whatever happens afterwards.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 08:32 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The word WOULD still get out, but you'll get more great P.R. out of it than anything.
You know, that would be sort of funny but look at it this way.
If the lady passes on while watching a movie in a nice, comfy chair with all her family and friends around, wouldn't that be just about *THE* way to go?

If I could pick the time and place of my passing, this would be one of the top things on my list. Don't you think so, too?

Good P.R? Maybe but it would certainly be some seriously good karma! [Smile]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 08:46 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would contact the family and acknowledge the wish and prepare for the showing.

I am sure that the family has no problem to sign a simple letter saying that this is a special private showing and they will not keep you liable for any incidents on that occasion coming from the physical condition of their mother. There certainly is a way to write that down in a nice and understanding way, and I am a sure the family will understand that.

Yes, I would do it as well. If all goes well, you will have a fantastic feedback. And, while not a cheering-up event in itself, these are the things that make cinema special.

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2014 04:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone's last wish is nothing to take lightly. If it was me, I would do it in a heartbeat for her, her family, and at no cost. I would even bring them soda and popcorn to try and make her last movie the best it could possibly be. I would also offer to run the show at any time the family wanted, even if for some reason they wanted to see it at 6am.

Don't worry about any bad publicity. You're granting the woman's last wish! If she happens to pass during that particular 2 hour time window, there is nothing you could've done about it and nobody will think poorly on you or your establishment.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 08:53 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This special show is now scheduled for this coming Saturday afternoon, assuming that the lady who it is for is still with us to watch it then. My actual opening date for this movie is not for another week yet, but Sony has agreed to send it to me a week early for this purpose.

I am, of course, doing this at no cost to the family.

Apparently the lady involved is just thrilled and all that she can talk about is this movie. I sincerely hope that she will get to see it.

Man, this is one hell of a deal. I never dreamed that I would ever be involved in a situation like this. I've never been much good with names, but if this is the person that I'm starting to think it is, then I do know her and she's about the same age that I am. I guess I'll find out on Saturday. If she doesn't make it until then, or if she passes away during the show, I've done the best that I can.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 09:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I am amazed that they allowed you to show their movie a week early like that. A studio with a heart? Who knew that was possible? Good luck on the show.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-10-2014 05:45 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The special "last wish" show is now over and it was a success, if success is the right word for something like this.

I didn't really know who I was doing this for until she arrived, but it turned out to be a lady who's about my age (mid-50's). I guess this explains why I haven't seen her around lately.

When her daughter talked to me on the phone the other day she said that her mother didn't want people to see her looking like she does now, so no-one was here for this show other than me alone. Not even my wife.

She came with her three daughters (all in their early 20's) and that was the entire audience. Her and her three daughters. She managed to walk in and back out again under her own power, holding a wheeled walker and with one of her daughters on each side to hold her up and the other to open the door and make sure the walker didn't get away on her. I don't think she would have been able to stand up on her own without her daughters to support her.

I told her that everything here is free today, so she asked for a large popcorn and a large soda and two candy bars, saying that she has decided to eat exactly what she wants to eat whenever she wants and that's what she wants while she's here. So that's what she got.

One of her daughters brought a huge fluffy cushion for her to sit on.

After we made her comfortable in the auditorium and everyone had a popcorn and soda, I left them alone played the movie for them. After the show was over they took quite a while before they were ready to come out; I think they were praying together. I just stayed in the lobby until they were ready to leave and then helped them get organized and back out the door again.

When they left she told me that she has never before been treated like such royalty and that this is about the nicest thing anyone has ever done for her.

It's a good thing that I did this for her today. She is so wasted away that I don't think she will be with us for too much longer. Had I waited until next week it might have been too late.

Sony sent me the movie early so I could provide this service for a dying woman and her daughters.

It really meant a lot to them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-10-2014 06:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you handled it perfectly. Kudos to you and a nice thumbs up to Sony. [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-10-2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A class act!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-10-2014 08:35 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And that's the difference between community businesses and giant corporations. Good job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: