Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » No food or drink or powdered alcohol allowed

Author Topic: No food or drink or powdered alcohol allowed
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-19-2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Better start printing up new signs!

Link to article

quote:
US approves 'Palcohol' - powdered alcohol is on the way. A new brand of powdered alcohol - designed to be mixed into a drink or sprinkled over food - has been signed off by the US government and will be available in autumn of this year

By Zachary Davies Boren

3:08PM BST 19 Apr 2014

American drinkers could find themselves sprinkling their favourite beverage rather than pouring it, as powdered alcohol brand 'Palcohol' is now fully approved by the US government.

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau this week signed off on seven versions of Palcohol, including Margarita and Cosmopolitan flavours, which will be made available in autumn of this year.

The company's website, which has been changed since approval from the TTB, pitched the product as a solution to the ever-escalating cost of liquid alcohol.

"What's worse than going to a concert, sporting event, etc. and having to pay $10, $15, $20 for a mixed drink with tax and tip. Are you kidding me?! Take Palcohol into the venue and enjoy a mixed drink for a fraction of the cost," the product's promotional material read.

The site also suggested that users add Palcohol to their food: "Sprinkle Palcohol on almost any dish and give it an extra kick. Some of our favourites are the Kamikaze in guacamole, Rum on a BBQ sandwich, Cosmo on a salad and Vodka on eggs in the morning to start your day off right. Experiment.

"Remember, you have to add Palcohol AFTER a dish is cooked as the alcohol will burn off if you cook with it... and that defeats the whole purpose."

Perhaps recognising that such a marketing strategy risked causing controversy, and even possible legal issues, Palcohol has removed the copy and issued a clarification: "We were caught off guard with the release of some of our labels by the TTB. As a result, people visited this website that we thought was under the radar because we had not made a formal announcement of Palcohol.

"Clearly, this site isn't finished. Thus, the verbiage that was copied was still in draft mode and the labels that were up were incorrect. So please disregard what is being printed as a result of information taken from this site.

"What we can say now is that we hope the product will be used in a responsible and legal manner. Being in compliance with all Federal and State laws is very important to us. Palcohol will only be sold through establishments that are licensed to sell liquor."

Patent lawyer Daniel Christopherson, writing for the Bevlog beverage blog, has speculated that the company will not be given exclusive rights of the production of powdered alcohol: "My expectation is that the patentability of Palcohol is very narrow and a patent will not be effective at keeping competitors at bay."

He points out that powdered alcohol is not a new concept, with similar products already sold in countries like Japan and Germany. Alcohol as a powder has even been sold in the US and has been the subject of several US patents.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-19-2014 01:05 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the first teen-ager to snort it comes along in 3...2...1...

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2014 05:24 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has got to be one of the worst ideas I have ever come across. What a disaster.

Can people really not go a day without being sober? I just don't get it. Why people want to loose their sense of being while already being in a place of entertainment like a movie has always bewildered me.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-19-2014 06:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well just because you have a drink (or a powdered drink) doesn't mean you're going to lose your sense of being or even get drunk. It's called knowing your limits, being mature, and consuming responsibly. Not everyone drinks to get hammered.

However I still think this idea is sort of dorky. But then I think bacon-flavored potato chips are stupid too.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-19-2014 07:14 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I guess you haven't been around college age kids very much. I have...I work on a campus and I can tell you, go into any local bar that caters to the college crowd and I have actually heard their mantra many times -- what's the point of drinking if you don't get buzzed? Proof of that concept is that they love to put vodka in all sorts of drinks where you can't taste the vodka. If the intent was just to enjoy a beverage, they would drink it without the alcohol...and we know THAT doesn't happen.

Now maybe just getting buzzed isn't falling down drunk, but it certainly is not what you want people to be who are coming out of a theatre, getting into their cars and driving home. Not to mentioned, buzzed also can up agressiveness and loud behavior -- something you don't want IN the theatre as well.

Worried about having to go up to someone who is texting or being obnoxious? You'll worry just that much more if he's be drinking your soft drink into which he's dumped the equivalent of three or four shots of powered booz.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-19-2014 08:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
College kids are an entity unto themselves when it comes to drinking. I was talking about society in general. The majority of drinkers are responsible -- if they weren't, booze probably would have been outlawed by now.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2014 01:39 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It rings a valid question to me though, why indeed drink if not for its effects? I suppose I can understand wine and MAYYYYYBE craft beers, but can you really tell me anything else is at all worth drinking just to "drink"?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-20-2014 11:12 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is valid, and the answer, I'd guess, is that there are some people who are motivated to drink by the experience of being drunk rather than the taste of the beverage. If there weren't, alcopops would never have been invented: as Frank points out, these people want the physiological experience of ingesting alcohol without the taste of traditional alcoholic beverages.

Without wanting to sound like a killjoy, I have to agree with Buck in fearing that this Palcahol stuff will cause all sorts of problems. Its two defining features appear to be that (a) it can easily and undetectably be smuggled into places where alcoholic beverages are currently either banned (e.g. many sports fixtures) or heavily rationed/regulated (e.g. on airliners), for very good reasons; and (b) it is not covered by booze excise duty laws - yet, at any rate - and so enables someone to get drunk at a fraction of the price of doing so the conventional way.

It only takes a small number of aggressively drunk people to cause a hell of a lot of nuisance and disruption. It seems like every week we read a story about a vacation charter flights having to divert because a drunk passenger attacked a flight attendant, or a pitched battle between rival supporters at a football match (two situation in which at present, you are either not allowed to drink at all or only in small, regulated quantities). If people now have the ability to "drink" unlimited amounts in this sort of setting, the problem is going to get worse. And yes, sadly, it's going to start happening in theatres if people bring this stuff in and add it to their sodas.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle (or should that be the sachet?!), I guess, but whoever invented this stuff did not do the world a favor.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-20-2014 09:43 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
Can people really not go a day without being sober? I just don't get it. Why people want to loose their sense of being while already being in a place of entertainment like a movie has always bewildered me.
quote: Buck Wilson
why indeed drink if not for its effects?
I've drunk alcohol many times where I didn't lose my sense of being; there's this thing called moderation. There's a difference between drinking alcohol and drinking so much that you're plastered. But we've been down that road before.

And obviously, lots of people drink for the taste. I certainly like the taste of Jack Daniel's. On the other hand, I won't drink Monarch Vodka; I remember it being one of the worst tasting things ever.

quote: Leo Enticknap
it can easily and undetectably be smuggled into places where alcoholic beverages are currently either banned (e.g. many sports fixtures) or heavily rationed/regulated (e.g. on airliners), for very good reasons
People already sneak booze into sports arenas and sports arenas sell alcohol already. Also, airliners allow you to bring booze, you just have to be served by the attendant, to regulate how much you're being served. And if you serve yourself they'll have you arrested. Simple.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-20-2014 10:19 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what are you suggesting, that theatres have police on hand to monitor what patrons are dumping into their drinks and arresting those who get zonked? How do you regulate under-age consumtion of this stuff?

As for responsible drinking...what you are not understanding Chris, is that we are not talking about you. We are talking about the all-so coveted age group -- the teens to 30-- who exhibitors and the studio lust after and cater to, most of whom fill the bars every Friday and Saturday night if they are of age and many even if they are not, doing shots and getting plastered and believe me, they are not liqour connoisseurs like yourself. They are drinking to get buzzed. Rarely do they drink in moderation -- if they did, we wouldn't need the concept of a "designated driver" -- you know, the guy who ISN'T plastered, which means everyone else in the group is.

Do you REALLY want to add that layer of complication to a cinema environment? All you need are a few of the "less responsible" types in an auditorum who have brought a bag full of that stuff to pour into their sodas and you have a major headache on your hands.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-20-2014 10:51 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
So what are you suggesting, that theatres have police on hand to monitor what patrons are dumping into their drinks and arresting those who get zonked? How do you regulate under-age consumtion of this stuff?
What I actually suggested, by pointing out that people already sneak alcohol into movie theaters and get arrested when they get out-of-hand, is that having a powdered option isn't going to change the situation much if at all.

quote: Frank Angel
As for responsible drinking...what you are not understanding Chris, is that we are not talking about you.
And what you aren't understanding is that I was responding to Buck, who I think was demonstrably talking about more than just college kids. But whatever.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2014 11:27 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me Film-Tech's clocks are wrong and this is April 1...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-10-2014 05:47 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and called it:
http://consumerist.com/2014/05/09/palcohol-creator-you-wont-get-drunk-faster-snorting-powdered-alcohol/#more-10162902

quote:
Palcohol Creator: “You Won’t Get Drunk Faster Snorting Powdered Alcohol”
By Chris Morran May 9, 2014

A couple weeks back, the Internet went a bit nuts when it learned that federal regulators had given the green light to a powdered alcohol product called Palcohol. Then a backlash ensued, fueled in no small part by things mentioned on the product’s nascent website, and regulators quickly rescinded their approval while some called for a ban on the product. But in a recently released video, Palcohol’s creator attempts to show that this is much to do about very little.
In the powder-dry above video, which looks like it was shot on Betamax on the set of a 1984 public access talk show, Palcohol creator Mark Phillips addresses the each of the major concerns about powdered alcohol — that it could be snorted for an easy high; that it would make it easier to sneak booze into a theater or other venue; that it would make it easy to spike another person’s drink; and that children would have easy access to it.
YOU CAN SNORT IT, BUT DON’T
The Palcohol website had initially mentioned that one could snort the powdered alcohol, but Phillips claims that this and other statements on the site were an ill-advised attempt at “edgy” marketing on a site that wasn’t ready to be seen by the public. In reality, he says Palcohol isn’t just painful to snort; it’s also impractical.
“Because of the alcohol in powdered alcohol, snorting it is very painful,” says Phillips. “It burns — a lot!”
But would it be worth the quicker high? No, says Phillips.
“Palcohol is not some super-concentrated version of alcohol,” he explains in the video. “It’s simply one shot of alcohol in powdered form.”
So according to Phillips, it would take about one hour for someone to snort one shot’s worth of powder (though he doesn’t explain how he calculated that time frame).

He asks, “Why would anyone choose to spend an hour of pain and misery snorting all of this powder to get one drink in their system? When they could just — oh, I don’t know — drink a shot and accomplish the same thing? You won’t get drunk faster by snorting powdered alcohol, an you’ll go through a lot of pain.”
WHAT’S IN THE BIG FOIL BAG SIR?
Regarding claims that you could more easily sneak Palcohol into a movie theater or concert or boring work meeting, Phillips points to the 4″ x 6″ size of the resealable foil pouch.
“Powdered alcohol won’t make it easier to sneak alcohol into places because the bag is too big to conceal,” he explains, arguing that it would be much easier to sneak in airplane-size bottles of booze than it would a pouch of Palcohol.

Between the two options, Phillips say, “You’re not gonna choose Palcohol; the package is too big! Heck, you could sneak… four bottles in the same space as one packet of Palcohol.”
LOOK OVER THERE! (FOR THE NEXT MINUTE OR TWO)
As for the contention that one could more easily spike another person’s drink with Palcohol, Phillips points out that you need an entire pouch of the powder to equal one shot’s worth of booze, and that it does not miraculously dissolve instantaneously.

“It will take at least a minute of stirring for all the powder to dissolve,” he explains while stirring in a mess of Palcohol powder into a glass of ice water. “And because this drink is cold, it may even take a little bit longer.”
Phillips once again makes the comparison between what he maintains is Palcohol’s bulky, hard-to-hide pouch and tiny little bottles of alcohol.
“Why would someone try to carry one of these in [holding up Palcohol pouch] and spike someone’s drink when it takes so long to stir when you can do the same thing in three seconds?” he asks.
WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS?
The final concern is one that Phillips can’t really rebut with any form of demonstration. Instead, he just tries to clarify that Palcohol will only be available for purchase in the same stores you currently buy booze, and that it can’t legally be sold or given to anyone under the age of 21 in the U.S.
[via Eater]
Tell a friend:

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: