Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Booking questions

Author Topic: Booking questions
Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2014 04:50 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to do Midnight shows of classic titles on fridays and saturdays. I'm also looking to do children's films saturday and sunday at 10am. My first show of a mainstream hollywood feature is never earlier than 12pm and never later than 10:30pm. What's the story? Can I do those shows if I have to be running a hollywood title clean? Why won't my booker answer my questions when it comes to this either?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-16-2014 05:20 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, plenty of theatres do this. As long as you program so your times don't overlap. Hope you can get some sleep;>

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-16-2014 05:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, and as long as you reserve the "prime" showtimes for your main booking you should be fine.

In the event you wanted to run a classic during a prime time such as 9pm, you could probably still do it but it's best to have your booker get permission from the studio. As long as your main movie isn't a blockbuster in its first week (or a Disney movie) you should have no trouble getting the OK.

As to your booker "not answering your questions" -- that's a disturbing thing. Your booker is an employee of yours and if he won't answer your questions to your satisfaction, you should find another booker.

Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2014 05:32 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about "running clean". The way I always heard it described was that it was a clause in the contract that says no other movie can show on the same screen as the main feature.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-16-2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's usually "prime time". What they are usually concerned about is running a split show during first run (i.e.: on movie at 7:00, a different one at 9:00). Depending where you are in the life of the film, you can get permission to do so. What you asked about, kids shows and midnight shows aren't usually a problem.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-16-2014 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - what kind of regular schedule do you run? Do you play on the break, and if not, how many weeks later (on average)?

If, for example you were playing Transformers 4 on the break, the studio might take a dim view if you decided to play some other movie on that Friday at midnight. But if you're 3 or 4 weeks after the break, you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2014 07:00 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We play on the break but we have 4 screens so we always have at least one movie three weeks out.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to let your booker go.

How long have you been operating your theater? If at least a year, you could reasonably book your own movies and have a lot more control over what you are getting.

Like the others have said, keep noon to 11 pm for the regular schedule and you will be fine.

Kids: I did well and I have seen plenty of others do 10 am or so shows for free or $1 admission. Do not expect to play Disney titles though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: