Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Losing the Kids (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Losing the Kids
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 05:36 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's exercise in wishful thinking

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/number-of-frequent-young-moviegoers-plummets-in-2013-1201146426/

quote:
Number of Frequent Young Moviegoers Plummets in 2013
Bizzers assert that technology can nonetheless spur interest in films

Andrew Stewart
Film Reporter
@Variety_Stewart
The number of frequent moviegoers in the all-important 18-24 age group plunged an unprecedented 21% in 2013, according to MPAA annual statistics released Tuesday at Cinemacon, while attendance in the 12-17 age bracket also saw a precipitous drop off, falling almost 15%.

Frequent filmgoers from 12-24 are likely spending much of their previous moviegoing time watching a variety of other screens. But Chris Dodd, head of the Motion Picture Assn. of America, sought to reassure theater owners that technology is no foe to the movie industry.

Though Dodd struck an optimistic note with his pronouncement that all ages have love for the movies regardless of how they’re consumed, his theory seems to contradict the statistics showing double digit drops in the percentage of younger frequent moviegoers.

“We need to keep exploring fresh ways of leveraging our new technology to drive traffic to your theaters,” Dodd insisted during his keynote address delivered Tuesday at CinemaCon in Las Vegas.

“We can embrace technology, and use it to complement our offerings,” Dodd added.

In support of technology, the MPAA revealed that those who generally go to the movies more own more mobile devices — 74% of frequent moviegoers have at least four tech gadgets.

John Fithian, prexy of the National Assn. of Theater Owners, said that diversity in product and experience are the key ways to combat the youth decline, though he added that watching movies — even on tablets or mobile devices — can be beneficial for exhibitors.

“People having lots of ways to watch movies is great for us,” Fithian said during a press conference after the presentation. “They’re embracing the culture of loving the movies.”

On the bright side, the number of frequent moviegoers aged 2-11 grew last year to 4.3 million, up 54% over 2012.

Fithian said by making the moviegoing experience more diverse, exhibs can appeal to auds of all ages.

“For parents who want a night out, the idea of integrating the experience (to include the kids) helps makes movies more accessible to people who have time crunch,” Fithian said.

When it comes to technology being a friend to the movies, Dodd is sticking to his guns.

“This notion that somehow you have to choose sides is one that I couldn’t understand since the day I started this job,” Dodd said. “The reality is that technology without content is just technology.”

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 05:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the upcharges for 3D, many families opted out of group going to the movies.

You DO reap what you sow. A full generation of teens were not started "going to the movies" while living at home.

It remains to be seen if this is a blip or a basic change. With the headlong rush to home video, it would seem to me to be a tragic case of bad timing.

(On demographics, I am never wrong.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 08:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's 3-D resistance as much as "cultural change."

It used to be that to enjoy a movie, you had to watch it while sitting in front of something, be it a TV or a movie theater screen. With the advent of smartphones and tablets, you can just carry the screen with you.

With all the yelling about how theaters must provide the best possible movie experience, it's amazing how much of our intended audience is perfectly happy to consume movies in the worst possible way. They don't care if they don't see the whole thing in one sitting. They'll watch it in 10-minute segments during their morning bus ride or whatever.

The thing is, any teenager KNOWS that it's better to see a movie in a theater. In fact many of them would probably say they'd PREFER to see a movie in a theater with their friends, but they just don't feel like it's necessary. Maybe they save the theatrical viewing for the movie they really want to be special.

The "too expensive" argument is nonsense. Almost every one of them is walking around with a $300 phone and/or wearing $100 shoes. Kids can usually find a way to afford (or get their parents to pay for) what they want.

The challenge for the industry is to get the kids to insist on seeing movies in theaters. It boils down to a matter of convenience combined with what they're willing to put up with. When you include the fact that most movies are available for free as illegal downloads, it all adds up to something that's tough to compete with.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 11:03 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the bright side, the number of frequent moviegoers aged 2-11 grew last year to 4.3 million, up 54% over 2012.
This is my favorite line from the story. I just have an image of the 2 year olds getting in their cars and driving to the multiplex, and then having to be lifted because they are too short to reach the boxoffice window. Who the hell does a survey that involves 2 year olds??

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2014 11:45 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say the lack of compelling films is keeping the 18-24 segment away from the theaters. If there is a movie that this segment wants to watch, then they will go to see it in a theater. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is a perfect example and so is the The Lego Movie. The recent RoboCop on the other hand simply did not connect with the 18-24 crowd. There is also usually way too much product in the marketplace as well and then there are all the reboots and sequels, Spider-Man has had five films and two reboots in 12 years, it is just way too much. And how may times can the studios possibly do a YA adaption, Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy and Beautiful Creatures all tanked and Divergent did OK but not great. Again, way too much product, the teens can't possibly watch all of them.

Something also has to be said about studio expectations, not every movie can pull Avenger/Dark Knight Rises or Catching Fire type numbers, and then splitting all the third parts into A and B parts will take its toll. Shame on Lionsgate for splitting Mocking Jay into two parts, eventually people will just have enough of it.

I also don't think technology has anything to do with it, the movie is what brings the customers to the theater, the technology is secondary. I will say that reserved seating is a nice touch if you are planning on watching an event type movie that you are really waiting to see. Eventually the chains should just wise up and offer reserve seating for all auditoriums and not just the premium large format theaters.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 10:23 PM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really glad we have Terry's expert, authoritative opinion on this matter. We might as well just close the thread now.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 11:57 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

I agree with you, we are largely a content driven industry, and sometimes the content just isn't there. I think that as theater operators we need to look at our operations and see if we are meeting the expectations of our own clientele, obviously that differs from person to person. If you're running a busy megaplex in a busy city, then you're going to need to ensure you have staffing to reduce lines but also a lot of choices and food options to ensure that you are keeping people coming to you. In fact I consistently get guests coming because we have "the best selection of movies in town". Now if you're running a theater in an area that appreciates value you can tone down some amenities (but keep presentation prestine still) in order to do value days, etc. Those in higher socio-economic areas can put in luxury recliners, beer and wine, etc in order to cater to the more posh crowd (such as many are doing now). But I think we need to remember that we should cater to our individual guests, and this is in no way a 1 size fits all industry (even though sometimes it seems that we try to be). We also need to push the envelope when it comes to sound and picture, give people an amazing experience so they feel they HAVE to see something in theaters.

On a side rant, perhaps in your area patrons are demanding reserved seating, but here we had a theater (muvico) that ran all reserved seating, every show every auditorium, patrons complained non stop and they ended up going back to just certain shows as reserved seating.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-27-2014 12:38 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In support of technology, the MPAA revealed that those who generally go to the movies more own more mobile devices — 74% of frequent moviegoers have at least four tech gadgets.
This suggests economic factors are part of the equation. While a smart phone has nearly become ubiquitous, having multiple tech devices usually indicates someone with greater disposable income.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2014 12:11 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Montes
We also need to push the envelope when it comes to sound and picture, give people an amazing experience so they feel they HAVE to see something in theaters.

I get what you are saying on pushing the envelope on picture and sound, but I also think cinema exhibition is changing in the minds of the consumers. What people will pay extra for is bewildering, the VIP in my area has no masking and the screen sticks out of the wall, perhaps that is trendy. Then there is the entire multiplex that runs scope movies on an open flat screen and nobody seems to care. The AMC near me has speakers hinged into the top of the way where the roof meets, yet the theater is at capacity time and time again.

Back to teenagers, I think the YA adaptions is starting to take its toll on box office performance.

quote: Manny Montes
On a side rant, perhaps in your area patrons are demanding reserved seating, but here we had a theater (muvico) that ran all reserved seating, every show every auditorium, patrons complained non stop and they ended up going back to just certain shows as reserved seating.
Perhaps just the new releases of the week.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2014 01:41 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked one of my artist friends who is in the demographic. She said "There were fewer good movies in 2013." Similar to what Terry said.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2014 11:07 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
I asked one of my artist friends who is in the demographic. She said "There were fewer good movies in 2013." Similar to what Terry said.
It will be interesting to see what the turn out is for 18-24 crowd for Amazing Spider-man 2 this weekend.

Frank B. McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2014 09:03 AM      Profile for Frank B. McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Frank B. McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure attendance is content driven (that is a given), where that content is consumed is a matter of choice. Continue to use under size bulbs, hassle the patrons, forget how to focus, blast the sound beyond all reasonable limits, continue to increase prices way beyond the rate of inflation - you know my home theater and 96" screen with 7.1 is just getting better all the time.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 12:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank B. McLaughlin
hassle the patrons
See here's the problem we have. On the one hand, we have people griping about patrons using cellphones, talking too loudly, etc. but we're also going to turn them off to moviegoing if we "hassle" them. (And you know that even when you ask somebody to turn off their phone in the nicest way possible, THEY will see it as being "hassled.") So how are we supposed to win here?

By the way, our screen is 402 inches. [Big Grin]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 03:54 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I "win" by being consistent. If I see the light from your cell phone while the movie is on, I will be standing beside or behind your seat and telling you to turn it off. If I see that light a second time, I'll invite you out to the lobby with me, and once you're there I'll tell you to leave.

The second stage very rarely happens any more.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 06:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a lady once who was sitting near the bottom of the auditorium, feet on the seat ahead, with her phone propped up on her knees, during the movie. I went down and said, "I need you to turn your phone off, please" and stood there till she did. Then I went home to eat supper. When I came back, one of the concession girls told me that right after I left, this lady had come out all upset, looking for me, and said she would "be back" to talk to me. She never came back, so I figured she'd cooled off.

She came back the next night and accused me of "screaming" at her to turn her phone off. (I will admit that the movie was kind of loud at that point so I did have to raise my voice a little but there was no screaming involved.) Anyway she went through the whole drill of "I need my phone to check on my kids" and all the other things people say, and then she demanded that I promise never to do that to her again. I said, "If you don't use your phone in the theater, I won't! But if you do, I will." I think she was still mad when she left, but whatever.

Reminded me of the time a lady told one of our concession girls that she was going to "write to my boss" and "get me fired" for telling her she needed to take her screaming baby to the restroom. I always wondered who she wrote to!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: