Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Noah in 3D in the US?

Author Topic: Noah in 3D in the US?
Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2014 09:30 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone confirm that Noah is playing in 3D in the U.S.?

Everything I can find says that they are only releasing it in 3D in international markets, yet we have 8 theaters that are indicating that they are playing it in 3D/IMAX 3D.

I'm trying to get it corrected, but I don't know how much luck I'll have. Meanwhile, I fear people will be misled, thinking that it's in 3D when it's not.

If anyone has info that they could share that's contrary to what I found, I'd appreciate it if you could enlighten me!

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2014 10:10 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible those eight theatres programmed their ticketing computer system incorrectly. We've been told no IMAX 3D for Noah in the US.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2014 11:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised to see it play in 3-D at SOME point in the U.S., but not right at the start. Either it will be hit and they'll bring out the 3-D after a couple of months "due to popular demand," or it will flop and they'll bring out the 3-D to help the bottom line.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noah is 2D in North America.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2014 10:18 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run into this on a fairly regular basis, where someone doing the data entry chooses the wrong version of a movie, but in some of these cases, the theaters have gone the extra mile on their web sites to advertise Noah in 3D.

I can understand how a slip of the mouse can cause the mistake, but here's an example of a theater that actually created graphics with the 3D mention in it, highlighting the 3D showtimes in red:

http://www.towertheaters.com/

It might be as simple as someone making a mistake in the POS and then the guy who does the graphics just takes that data and creates the graphics without questioning it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2014 11:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at that site; it's been fixed now with all the 3-D references removed.

I will be amazed though, if the 3-D version doesn't rear its head in the U.S. somehow, someway. Especially if the movie is a big hit. No studio suit will be able to resist the po$$ibilities.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-20-2014 06:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think one problem, despite some support from various Christians, is how it's called Noah and strays very far from the source material (having a war and having monsters help with the war).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2014 11:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a new trailer which has "yes, we took artistic license but..." disclaimers at the end of the trailer....never seen that one before. They go by so fast that you can't read them, which is a bad sign in itself.

I still think it'll be a good movie for the SFX if nothing else though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: