Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Has anyone seen Need for Speed 3D advertising??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Has anyone seen Need for Speed 3D advertising???
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-07-2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Need for Speed, which open 3/14/14, is a post production 3D conversion. Disney is expecting a majority of times to be 3D, including prime showings. However, I have not seen any advertising to date which indicates the film is 3D. A check of the movie's web site, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram showed no indication of 3D. The only place there is a 3D notation is on their Tumblr. Plus it's noted in MovieLine.

I'm just curious if anyone has seen any 3D promotion of the movie.

|  IP: Logged

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2014 06:55 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you check the insert letter available on Deluxe's website, it does note that it will indeed be in 3D. This is the first I've heard of it though. Of all the companies I would expect to push 3D the hardest before anything else, it's Disney. How peculiar…

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2014 10:22 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a WOM screening of the 3D version last week. Didn't work that night, but I received the hard drive and ingested the 3D version myself, so I know it exists in 3D.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-08-2014 11:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It showed up on our booking sheet marked 3D and I thought it was a mistake - our booker confirmed that it was indeed in 3D. Then "Non Stop" came out and kicked ass, so I scratched "N F S" off the sheet and wrote "Non Stop" in there. Looks like a better movie anyway.

What the heck is a "WOM" screening? Word of mouth?

Sean Goodrich
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2014 11:53 AM      Profile for Sean Goodrich   Email Sean Goodrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is it 3D, but according to the Deluxe website, the 3D is 9 seconds longer than the 2D.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2014 04:34 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Goodrich
Not only is it 3D, but according to the Deluxe website, the 3D is 9 seconds longer than the 2D.
The credit start cue is exactly the same though, meaning the extra 9 seconds is after the credits. Short 3D bonus scene or something?

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2014 05:22 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably added credits for the people who did the post-conversion.

Mike: yes, Word Of Mouth.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2014 09:33 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
The only place there is a 3D notation is on their Tumblr. Plus it's noted in MovieLine.
From the official website for the movie, it does state in 3D, RealD and other Large Formats.

From everything I have seen, I did not think the movie was in 3D until you posted this thread. Cineplex is not advertising the movie as 3D but they are offering showtimes.

Need For Speed should open well as it has large following from the video game. From what I understand, there is no CGI in the movie (or from the major scenes) which will be refreshing for those who go to see it. There will be real stunts and real race cars going some crazy speeds.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-09-2014 09:39 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry
The 3D notation at the top of the page must have been added since I first posted this question. It wasn't there the other day when I was looking.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2014 10:32 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, the only thing I can think of is that Disney did all this for the following reasons:

1. Hardcore Need For Speed gamers have grown up with a 2D video games, this the core audience and they won't want a title change specifically.

2. Go after the same crowd as the Fast and Furious crowd which is used to 2D Fast and Furious movies.

Perhaps 3D was too far along in the conversion process when the marketing department at Disney changed their marketing strategy.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2014 03:27 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have showtimes for 1083 and 987 theaters showing the 2D and 3D versions on Thursday, respectively.

For what it's worth, we didn't get any info about the 3D version until the end of January, whereas we had the 2D info since mid-2012.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2014 06:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about:

3. They did some market research, know it's going to be a huge flop and are trying to pad the grosses by putting out a 3-D version.

Although that's a pretty stupid gambit if they're not even going to promote the 3-D.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2014 12:53 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry
The 3D notation at the top of the page must have been added since I first posted this question. It wasn't there the other day when I was looking.

The same thing might happened on Need For Speed like the movie Noah only it was changed at the last minute well after the marketing was done.

Noah is a 3D movie (post converted) but will be a 2D movie only in North America and the U.K. All other territories will be 3D. So it is possible that Need For Speed was simply changed to 3D in North America at the very last minute while it was always intended for the rest of the world as 3D movie. There are international one-sheets of Need For Speed in 3D

quote: Scott Jentsch
We have showtimes for 1083 and 987 theaters showing the 2D and 3D versions on Thursday, respectively.

For what it's worth, we didn't get any info about the 3D version until the end of January, whereas we had the 2D info since mid-2012.

There are a lot of 3D only theaters in my area.

Peter Howard
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2014 04:02 AM      Profile for Peter Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NFS is available in 3D in Australia too, but we're only screening it in 2D.

When you say this Justin:

Disney is expecting a majority of times to be 3D, including prime showings
What do you mean?

Do you mean they're trying to dictate whether you screen in 2D or 3D, and what times you do for each session? That'd be quite unprecedented in Australia, they'd get told to eff off pretty quickly. The exhibitor decides the format, and session times here.

Just on Noah, it's only available in 2D in Australia too.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More theaters reporting in, so here are tomorrow's totals so far:

Need for Speed (2D): 2,502

Need for Speed (3D): 2,105

This is unique theaters playing the movie in the U.S., so if a theater has more than one screen playing it, it still only counts as one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: