Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Connecticut looks to regulate sound levels at movie theaters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Connecticut looks to regulate sound levels at movie theaters
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2014 12:29 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HARTFORD -- Movie-goers whose ears hurt after watching a film could get some relief from a bill being considered by Connecticut state lawmakers.

The General Assembly's Public Safety and Security Committee is reviewing a proposal that would establish a maximum decibel level at movie theaters across the state.

Under the proposal, theater license holders could not show a film or preview that exceeded 85 decibels.

A decibel is a unit used to explain the intensity of a sound wave. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration allows workers to be exposed to 90 decibels over eight hours.

Sen. Joan Hartley, the panel's co-chairman, said she recently learned of a study conducted in Texas that determined those theaters with unhealthy sound levels "were way over the edge."

Movie cinema executives are urging lawmakers to oppose the bill.

Joseph Masher, the chief operating officer for Bow Tie Cinemas, said Tuesday his company has not heard complaints about loud films or movie trailers since it installed digital equipment. Rather, he said they received complaints about two films not being loud enough for customers.

Masher said Bow Tie sets the sound slightly under the industry standard of 85 decibels. He also said managers check each movie and preview before they're shown.

Connecticut looks to regulate sound levels at movie theaters

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2014 12:47 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Connecticut state lawmakers need something to occupy their time.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-05-2014 07:32 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, whoever wrote the article or the law does not understand how sound works and that movies have some scenes that are loud and some scenes that are quiet. If the requirement is to not have any part of the movie be louder than 85dBC, then the law is completely insane. If the requirement is to ensure that the average dialogue level does not exceed 85dbC, then it should be unnecessary because it aligns with the standard (and would still not prevent loud explosions and such).

Really, though, why regulate this? Won't this issue take care of itself when enough patron complaints and walk-outs force the theatres to turn down overly loud or badly mixed movies? I could see where posting a health advisory might be mandated if theatres were actually playing films at levels that might cause permanent hearing damage (which they probably aren't doing), but then it should apply to musical performances (the worst offenders) and other events with loud sound as well. Plus, anyone who has ever worked in a theatre knows that different types and sizes of audiences have different expectations for movie sound: a sold-out evening show of an action movie patronized largely by adolescents needs to be louder than a sparsely attended matinee of a period drama patronized only by seniors.

And I am willing to bet that the perceived issue is actually with commercials and trailers, not the movies themselves....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-05-2014 07:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There you have it...OSHA has the 90dB/8-Hour threshold. The typical move is 2-2.5 hours. While our nominal level is 85dBc/channel (note the 90dB above is 90dBa...which takes human hearing into account so it puts more emphasis on the frequencies in the 3KHz range than say the 60Hz range), we do have the potential to go higher than that but it is going to be for rather short intervals. The maximum SPL in a movie theatre is pretty well controlled so if it is unhealthy in Connecticut, it is unhealthy everywhere and proper legislation should be enacted on the movie making itself. However, I don't think that is the case. While I think movies are mixed way too loud (they ruin the illusion of reality by making it louder than reality), I don't favor legislation, particularly at the state/local level where people are reactionary to non-real problems.

Once upon a time, the studios knew how to mix a film such that dialog was ineligible and the music/effects did not strain the ears. That period seems to have passed. Not that there are not good examples where a film DOES have great dynamic range but one can come away without pain or fatigue. Larry Blake does an incredible job, in my opinion, of creating mixes that are very easy to listen to. There are films like Gravity that did an incredible job with the sound without hurting ones ears. However I don't think Hollywood, in general, gets it...people don't like their movies as loud as they are presently mixed, by and large. If nothing else, this process may wake Hollywood up a bit. Then again, it is likely to bring ridicule to the state of Connecticut instead (from a movie perspective).

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2014 09:46 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one theater owner who used to drive me crazy by going up into the booth
when I wasn't there and raising the sound level. Customers would complain, I'd
turn it back down to a 'reasonable' level, only to find it turned back up
again later. (I was running 7 different booths- I couldn't be everywhere at once!)

His reasoning was basically:
"I paid $15,000 (or whatever) for this sound system, AND I WANT IT LOUD!

Oh, how I longed for the good ol' "union days' when managers weren't allowed
in the booth. (Most weren't allowed to even have keys, although a set was
usually sealed in an envelope in the theater safe in case fire/emergency)

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2014 10:25 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what we need, a bunch of politicians regulating something that they have absolutely zero understanding of. Oh, wait, I think I am talking about every regulation ever passed!

I guess there will be some money to be made on a software version of the "Smart Afterburner." Maybe this is why Dolby acquired Doremi.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2014 12:22 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
Just what we need, a bunch of politicians regulating something that they have absolutely zero understanding of
Just wait till Obama comes up with "Obamasound" and regulates the entire country.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2014 02:10 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Just wait till Obama comes up with "Obamasound" and regulates the entire country.
Maybe it will require everybody to have Dolby Atmos which will solve the issue from the other thread! [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-05-2014 04:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Plus, anyone who has ever worked in a theatre knows that different types and sizes of audiences have different expectations for movie sound: a sold-out evening show of an action movie patronized largely by adolescents needs to be louder than a sparsely attended matinee of a period drama patronized only by seniors.
Amen to that. Furthermore, anyone who has ever worked in a theatre will tweak their sound for the audience. If it's the 2pm show on a sunny Wednesday afternoon of whatever is the latest Jane Austen sh!te and with only 15 customers, with an average age of 70 and all of them in the front row, turn it down half a point; if it's sheeting down with rain on a Saturday night and you're showing Terminator 666: Megadeath Anhililation to a packed house of 16 year-olds, crank it up half a point (doing precisely that on the Dolby digital snipe at the start of these shows and looking down at everyone suddenly looking up was one of the perks of the job for me!).

Being serious for a moment, the big problem with this sort of regulation is that hearing damage caused by overexposure to amplified sound is a chronic issue, not an acute one. The odd evening in a nightclub isn't going to damage your hearing, and neither is hearing the odd massive explosion in a movie. But spending five evenings a week in a loud club probably will: in fact, I have a friend whose high frequency hearing is now pretty much shot, and even she admits that this is probably because she spent most of her 20s and 30s in clubs, where the ambient sound level was probably 110db plus.

But there are lots of things that if we do too much of, it'll cause us serious and/or permanent damage. Drinking a bottle of whisky a day doesn't make for a long and healthy life, either, but we don't ban whisky because of that.

As for Obamasound, the Affordable Audio Act does have sort of a ring to it!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-05-2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People complain about loud sound when it is distorted or very poorly EQed.

Probably typical for digital installs done quickly by non-audio people. One said: "Analyzer? What's that?" Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2014 06:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like them to apply this law to any IMAX theater or any theater with an "X" on it. Especially IMAX though. The sound is atrocious. I'm not sure why some people think they like it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2014 07:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL... OSHA already does this!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-05-2014 07:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis and Joe have it...the volume can be amazingly loud and not be even the slightest bit painful IF it is properly tuned and the room has good acoustics. (Obviously you have to have good quality speakers as well, because nothing can make up for bad speakers.)

The problem is hardly anyone seems to be able to tune a room these days. Also some rooms and choice of speakers are un-tune-able. Furthermore many theater's walls are so cheaply constructed, the rooms are intentionally mistuned as a blatantly wrong way to prevent sound bleed between auditoriums.

Fix the core problems and sound complaints will not exist. Small adjustments for actual volume based upon the attendance is of course welcome (and our system does that automatically), but the biggest offender is the guy tuning the rooms or what he has to work with.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-05-2014 08:58 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
If it's the 2pm show on a sunny Wednesday afternoon of whatever is the latest Jane Austen sh!te and with only 15 customers, with an average age of 70 and all of them in the front row, turn it down half a point
No, no, no. Turn it up half a point. They are all deaf and they all chatter [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-05-2014 10:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These legislators in Connecticut are really showing their ignorance and their ass with this proposed law.

If these lawmakers are actually interested in preventing hearing damage they would be doing something about all the people listening to music on their iPods, smart phones and other devices with the music cranked up and blasting into their brains through various kinds of ear buds. That's where most of the hearing damage is happening these days.

What audio frequencies does this 85db level include? All of them? Yes? Well, hell, if the freaking theater's sound system isn't going to sound any more dynamic than the speakers built into my TV set and have the character of the crappy horn speakers on top of the high school gym's scoreboard I might as well stay at home and watch the movie there!

Most in this forum clearly understand the listener's perception of loudness, even painful loudness, is tied to more than just a flat decibel level. 85db is acceptable for dialog material. But it's wimpy as hell for bass and sub-bass frequencies. If the theater's sound system can handle it, audiences can listen to 20Hz sub-bass tones at more than 120db without it being painful. If you go to the other end of the audible range 120Hz in any sort of treble or high frequency area would be painful.

I don't know all of the frequency ranges that get hit with a round of real gunfire. I just know it seems loud in just about every register from punchy, air moving bass to shrill high end. I'll get the cotton in my ears feeling if I fire without wearing the goofy looking ear muffs. A movie's sound designer doesn't need to pass all of that along in the mix for an audience to hear. It's good to make a gunshot in the mix startling. But the listener shouldn't get his spine rattled either.

I don't think any theater operator deliberately wants to hurt customers' ears. But some theaters just don't know how to get their sound right. The same is true for whoever sets the volume levels in movie trailers. Some movie makers don't have their shit straight on what's acceptable either. But those are matters that need to be policed from within the movie industry and exhibition industry. The trouble is that just hasn't been happening. So now we're seeing this legislative nonsense.

quote: Brad Miller
The problem is hardly anyone seems to be able to tune a room these days. Also some rooms and choice of speakers are un-tune-able. Furthermore many theater's walls are so cheaply constructed, the rooms are intentionally mistuned as a blatantly wrong way to prevent sound bleed between auditoriums.
I think it's more of the latter. Cost cutting. Since the concepts behind THX seem to be a fading, distant memory I think a lot of big theater chains are feeling free to make any number of cost cutting compromises when designing movie theater structures and choosing the speakers and other equipment that will be installed inside.

I'll read stories about some special screening room built by Dolby or whoever. The room has walls with multiple sound deadening layers, it's built on some noise dampening rubber platform that's floating on a layer of extra virgin cold pressed olive oil or some craziness like that. It makes me kind of sad. One very tiny group of people are trying to perfect the sound quality in a screening room only a privileged small number of people will visit. Too many of the places where most people are hearing the movie are treating sound quality as an afterthought.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: