Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatre management software - what do you use? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Theatre management software - what do you use?
Martin Thuss
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Martin Thuss   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Thuss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious about what theatre management software (Retriever, RTS, NCR, etc.) everyone uses. Do you like it or would you swap it out for something else if you could? What are the pros and cons?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use RTS and I really loathe it. Sometime in the next few years we're looking to upgrade. I had my eye on Veezi, which looks amazing and it comes from the folks who make Vista, which I've only heard great things about.

http://www.veezi.com/

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2014 01:12 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a smaller operation, I recommend Sensible Cinema Software.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2014 03:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Sensible Cinema. Seems to work fine for us. A few things I would change, but nothing major. Honestly, the biggest issue I have is how ugly it is [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-09-2014 07:40 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've used RTS for years, and it works very well for us.
We used Sensible at one time, with less-positive results.

Just a matter of finding something that matches your needs, I guess.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-09-2014 07:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Retriever (aka Venue) at my cinema. We've been using this system for almost 15 years and I like it. It pretty much has all the functionality you could ask for - they even do credit card processing and internet ticketing. The only downside is the selling terminals are still DOS based, so there isn't much flexibility with hardware.

We use RTS at our drive-in, and I'm not a fan. Many things about the software are not intuitive, the reporting is limited, and concessions setup can be very complicated. If you're not careful about your item setup, it can create overages or shortages that don't really exit. The user interface is utilitarian at best. But since it's Windows based, there is a fair amount of flexibility for hardware.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2014 08:07 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The upside to Sensible Cinema is that when you call their tech support number, you are speaking to the guy who wrote the software.

The other company that I provide support for uses Retriever and there seems to be more left to be desired...

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-09-2014 09:39 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of DOS-based software can be run on Linux under dosemu. You can set up a Linux computer to run dosemu full-screen and the user won't know he's not on a native dos machine. Then you get to use goodies like USB printers and whatnot that don't work on DOS. (The trick is to spool the dos printer output to a file and then send it to the appropriate cups driver for your printer.) Works like a damn and dos really rattles right along on a modern computer.

Martin Thuss
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Martin Thuss   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Thuss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a brief look at the Veezi web site, including some of the videos. It looks interesting. Does anyone on this thread use this system? My one potential concern is the ongoing monthly cost tied to admissions. How does this compare to other systems? Some of the systems use up front costs, some fixed monthly/annual and some variable monthly/annual.

Rusty Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2014 03:25 PM      Profile for Rusty Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Rusty Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rusty from Sensible Cinema Software here. Regarding the drive-in location Justin mentioned: We've added a bunch of new features to Sensible Cinema this summer particularly for drive-in theaters. If you'd be interested in having a look send me a reply to rusty@sensiblecinema.com.

I think one of the most attractive features of Sensible Cinema is that we don't have annual license fees or recurring per-ticket fees like our competitors. You won't have a monthly bill or an "account" you must maintain with us. Additionally, our software is not 'cloud based' so you don't have your entire point-of-sale system at the mercy of the performance your internet provider or run it from a web browser!

Not sure what Andrew thinks is particularly 'ugly' about our software. This is a desktop application, not a web site or video game. We've followed a design convention that closely matches the Windows operating system to a large extent using the user's Windows version's common controls, forms, buttons, etc. with primary focus on usability and intuitiveness. If we take too much creative license with the visual interface it becomes more difficult for the user to figure things out. Screen shots are widely available on our web site and a demo is available.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-02-2014 06:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
I have been testing Veezi for possible use in our drive-in.

From a employee usage standpoint, it's probably as easy as any other system out there, but there are a number of little quirks where you can see it wasn't designed by someone who actually uses the software in a cinema.

For example, by default they have a quick tender function disabled, meaning it takes twice the number of touches to sell a ticket. You can turn the function on, which then makes it as little as 2 touches to sell a ticket.

Another downfall is the system isn't configured to allow for modifiers. For example, if you add a flavor to drinks, then you have to set up a separate size/flavor for each item. Normally you would set up small, med, and large drinks, then Coke, Sprite, Diet - where you would use the same modifier for every size. But with Veezi you would have to set up Small Coke, Med Coke, Large Coke, Small Sprite, Med Sprite, Large Sprite, and so forth.

On the other hand, it's easy to create add-ons to your items - extra cheese for nachos, chili for hot dog, etc.

Probably the biggest downfall with Veezi is it currently does not have an inventory module. While it's easy enough to create an Excel spreadsheet to handle your inventory, it does wind up being more work.

Pricing for Veezi really depends on your volume and what you pay for your existing system. Since the pricing is flexible based on actual monthly volume, it does cost less during slow months. Since Veezi is based on admissions, and not terminals, it makes the system very scalable. And this is what you have to factor into the price. Most systems base their licensing on the number of selling terminals. With Veezi you can add additional terminals with no additional licensing cost - just the cost of the additional hardware.

Overall I would say Veezi is a good work in process. If you're going to a computerized system from a manual system or a cash register, then you'll be happy with the upgrade. However, if you are looking to replace an existing system - RTS, Venue/Retriever, or one of the other systems, you're probably going to be left wanting. That being said, they seem to be very responsive, and I would imagine it will only be a short time before the shortcomings are addressed to make it a more robust system.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-02-2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Sensible Cinema. We use it at the Tom Ridge Theater and it does anything we want.

Discolsure... We are a single screen with one concession stand.
As others say, it works good for smaller operations. No experience with larger operations.

Martin Thuss
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Martin Thuss   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Thuss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our installer/integrator (Cinematronix) is suggesting Jack Roe; I guess a number of their other clients use this system. Does anyone have any experience with this system or have you heard any feedback (direct or indirect) to pass on? We still have a good amount of time to decide as our site selection is taking longer than expected so we are still quite early in the process.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2014 09:25 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Roe (the guy who runs Jack Roe) is one of the nicest guys to do business with. Even though we do not use his P.O.S. software (TaPoS), I am sure it works well. We use their Fone and Go product and it is awesome.

Having worked with every major Movie Theatre P.O.S. system in the last 25 years - none of them are perfect. It's really just a matter of finding one that works well with your operation. It does help that the system was developed by someone with a working knowledge of movie theatres.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 11:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got an email a couple of months ago saying that RTS was upgrading to a new version which included a remodel of its (fairly ugly) interface, and some other improvements....anyone got it yet?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: