Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Carpet

Author Topic: Carpet
Russ Levinson
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2014 07:59 PM      Profile for Russ Levinson   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Levinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long should theater carpet last? What kind of carpet is best?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-29-2014 08:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teaser topics are against the rules...

Russ Levinson
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2014 08:50 PM      Profile for Russ Levinson   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Levinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no teaser topic. The topic is carpet and the questions are about carpet!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-29-2014 09:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we are not a high-traffic theater compared to big city chains, but we installed new carpet in 1979 called "Faculty II" which was used in a lot of schools. It was still going strong in 2002 when we replaced it as part of a remodel. It probably would have lasted another 10 years at least.

We've had our current carpet since then and it's not showing any wear at all. I think the big thing is just to not "cheap out" on carpet.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2014 12:14 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with Mike. If you want it to last, don't cheap out.

Theater I work at for example still has it's original 1983 carpet, in remarkably good wear, you can tell it is a quality carpet. The back 4 auditoriums/hall that were added on 10 years later however have a different carpet, and as with LITERALLY EVERY OTHER THING in those newer houses, they cheaped out. That carpet is in FAR worse repair despite being 10 years newer AND receiving less than HALF the traffic.

Lesson to be learned!

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 01-30-2014 01:01 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are buying new carpet request/require that your installer unroll the carpet and let it off-gas for at least a couple of days but preferably a week if possible prior to installation. Also, give consideration to carpet tile or carpet squares. They are usually installed with a moderate tack glue that allows damaged or soiled ones to be lifted up and cleaned or be replaced. Plus with carpet tile you can have fun with the pattern by doing quarter turns of the tiles to create interesting patterns. But bottom line - you get what you pay for. If you want it cheap be prepared to replace it in 5 years or less. If you want it to last then buy quality commercial grade carpet. Durkan and Shaw are two reputable brands that come immediately to mind but there are many others. Look under hospitality carpet.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-30-2014 03:47 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is no teaser topic. The topic is carpet and the questions are about carpet!
It's too vague to tell you it's going to be related to a comparison of the quality of different brands and how long they last. For all I knew, I could be going in with you asking for how to fix a tear or stain in one. Seriously, the rule literally states you should make topics that are descriptive.

Similarly, if I made a post with a topic of "Projectors" and then asked "How long do they last?" it'd be a teaser because projectors doesn't describe the actual topic, even if I could say that the topic is projectors and the question was about them. Hope that makes sense.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-30-2014 06:21 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually only quality carpets have a fire rating that is suitable for a cinema. This narrows the field by eliminating about 99% of what is available. Some local shops would then have nothing to offer. Louis

Russ Levinson
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 05:07 PM      Profile for Russ Levinson   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Levinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How often are you having the carpets professionally cleaned?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-04-2014 06:08 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my own steam cleaner and clean the carpet as needed, which varies from once or twice a year to a couple of times a month, depending on what happens. If it looks like it needs cleaning, I clean it.

I don't know about were you are, but around here I can buy a new machine for the same price as having my rug "professionally cleaned" twice. It costs me about $30 each time for the prespray chemical and soap required to do a complete cleaning, and it takes about 90 minutes to do the job including the time to set up the machine and clean it out and put it away afterward.

I do it late at night after the show is over, and the rug is completely dry by the next night. You probably won't get a professional rug cleaner guy to come to your place at midnight to do the job, and if you do I'm sure he'll charge you extra.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 06:47 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rave used these carpet tiles which were pretty damn good...

-

Best part was, if someone created such a mess that it couldn't be cleaned up normally, you just had to replace the squares that were damaged with new ones.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-05-2014 09:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wanna make a carpet last? VACUUM IT REGULARLY! Don't rely only on whether it looks dirty or not. What kills carpet is the combination of dirt -- grit particles with abrasive and even microscopic cutting surfaces that get embedded in the fibers and then the almost constant pressure of people walking on it; those particles become cutting knives into the fibers.

Take a really heavy-duty, industrial shopvac to the carpet on a regular, bi-weekly basis regardless of what it looks like in terms of visible dirt. Microscopic particles will still be working their damage even when the surface looks "clean." Of course when weather or climate conditions bring in more dirt than usual, you obviously vacuum more often, but it's that routine vacuuming that can extend the carpet life for years longer that without it.

PS -- Russ, when a long-time member offers a bit of advice about rules here, take it as a friendly, helpful jesture, not something you need to get defensive about. A better response might, "Hey, thanks for the tip, bro -- I'll fix that." Pantyhose all up in a bunch gets really uncomfortable.

Just a thought.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: