Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Shooting in Tampa Fl. Cobb Theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shooting in Tampa Fl. Cobb Theatre
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2014 05:18 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A filmgoer irked that other audience members were texting at a Mark Wahlberg war movie opened fire in a Florida theater Monday, killing a man and wounding a woman, authorities said.

The Grove 16 Theatre in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa, was evacuated after the shooting about 1:20 p.m. ET.

A male suspect was in custody thanks to the quick thinking of a good Samaritan who detained the man until authorities arrived, said Doug Tobin, a spokesman for the Pasco County Sheriff's Office.

The victims were airlifted to a Tampa hospital, where the man was pronounced dead and the woman was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries, Tobin said.
"Everybody is paranoid, they're scared, because a movie theater should be somewhere safe where people are out there to enjoy themselves," Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco told reporters.

"But unfortunately, what America has seen over the last couple of years is that movie theaters have become dangerous places," he said in an apparent reference to the mass killings at a theater in Aurora, Colo., in July 2012.

None of the participants was identified, and Nocco wouldn't disclose how the good Samaritan managed to subdue an armed man, saying the investigation was still underway.

But Nocco did confirm that "what we believe is this was over somebody texting."

Nocco said the dispute was confined to two couples who happened to be sitting near each other as the preview trailers were rolling just before the showing of "Lone Survivor," the Mark Wahlberg movie about a failed 2007 Navy Seal raid in Afghanistan.

"So during this time, the victim was on his cellphone. He was texting — we believe he was making some type of noise," Nocco said.

"This noise led to an altercation between the suspect and the victim," Nocco said. "During the altercation, the suspect decided to pull out a .380 [caliber gun], and he shoots the victim. There's another shot that was fired at the time."

Shaking his head, Nocco said: "It's absolutely crazy that it would arise to this level of altercation over somebody just texting in a movie theater."

The theater remained closed late Monday afternoon, said its operator, Cobb Theatres.

"We are truly heartbroken by this incident," it said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/13/22292711-man-shot-and-killed-for-texting-at-florida-movie-sheriff?lite

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sensationalist idiot who wrote this article should be fired. Using words like "opened fire" sounds like the guy stood at the bottom and started spraying the crowd, which he clearly did not.

Then comes this dick-head:
quote: Don Furr
"But unfortunately, what America has seen over the last couple of years is that movie theaters have become dangerous places," he said in an apparent reference to the mass killings at a theater in Aurora, Colo., in July 2012.
Nonsense! How many hundreds of millions of people have gone to the movies since Aurora, attended hundreds of thousands of shows with NO incident whatsoever. A theater is probably a thousand times safer than you are in your car, and no more dangerous than a shopping mall or a sports stadium.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-13-2014 06:29 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have so many things to say about this, but I'll refrain to avoid political discussions.

The only thing I'll say is that once again the crazy comes out in Florida.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-13-2014 08:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that close to Deltona! (where the real crazies live.) louis

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-14-2014 01:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is sensational to suggest movie theaters are dangerous places; they're not.

However, it's still very disgusting that a man was shot to death over such a cheap, petty thing. Some Americans have very serious anger management issues. It's even more disgusting the 71 year old shooter is a retired cop who should have known better. Cops are trained both in the lawful use of deadly force and how to peacefully neutralize emotional situations with civilians. That angry fart failed in both of those regards.

The outcome is just so stupid. If ex-cop was worried about a mobile phone display ruining his movie he might have tried thinking ahead a few moves and realize shooting a gun would not only stop the movie for him but for everyone else!

I'm wondering why the retired cop was getting so aggravated in the first place. Reports say the movie was in previews; the feature hadn't started yet. Who should care about mobile phone use while the TV commercials and movie trailers are playing?

Reports also say the retired cop left the theater to find a manager, but gave up on that, returned to his seat and pursued the argument with the phone user. I think that's going to be an important issue if a "stand your ground" self-defense claim is made. A smart person would have been persistent about finding a theater manager (which really isn't hard to do). If management refused to do anything about the situation the customer could demand a refund. The retired cop did exactly what he should not have done: go back into the theater and get into it with a total stranger.

One big positive thing to report, which very few in the news media like to repeat, murders in the United States are reaching new record low levels. Nationwide yearly totals of homicides are less than half what they were 20 years ago. In 2013 New York City had only 333 murders. Contrast that with 1990 when New York City had over 2000 murders in the 5 boroughs. Most other large US cities have seen steady declines. Memphis is one of the few large cities that has seen an increase.

The media doesn't like reporting that kind of progress. Instead they like to point out how the United States still has one of the highest murder rates in developed nations. Of course they don't bring up the more horrific murder rates taking place in many "undeveloped" countries.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-14-2014 02:35 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it's USA magnited States of America where yer-you are free to text in a the-a-ter!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-14-2014 04:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the deceased white? If so don't worry because it'll all blow over pretty soon if he was. It's more acceptable to kill white people.

quote:
But it's USA magnited States of America where yer-you are free to text in a the-a-ter!
That's governed by individual the-a-ter (or worse, thee-a-tree) policies. For example, you have a right to wear polka-dot shirts but an establishment can ban anyone from wearing polka-dot shirts for no reason whatsoever and be well within it's rights to do so. So a theater can ban texting and if you don't obey those rules then you can get out. Same goes for allowing guns on the premises but if you're doing it right nobody should ever know you have a gun.

The theater where the shooting took place now has a complete ban on electronics. Not sure how they plan to enforce that but there you go. At least it'll make it so that when people pull 'em out in an auditorium they can be ejected.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2014 05:21 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Common sense dictates that one steps out of a theatre if one needs to use their electronic device once the regular cinematic program begins, regardless of whether it be in the trailers or feature.

Common sense dictates that one does not bring a gun in to a movie theatre under any circumstances (with the sole exception of one being a security guard employed by the theatre to provide security for said theatre).

Common sense seems to be lacking in this case on both sides.

Shut your damn device off once you're in the theatre, period.

Don't bring your gun to the movies, period.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-14-2014 05:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the "shut your device off" rule is, these days people expect to hear back immediately when they text someone. I wish there was an "app" that you could launch when you go to a movie (or anytime you want to be uninterrupted for a while). This app would automatically text back to whoever texts you, "Sorry, I'm at the movies right now; will hit you back after 9:00pm." (Of course the text and time would be customizable.) Then at the appointed time, your phone would come to life and let you know you have messages to return.

But people's addiction to their phones, combined with the notion that you MUST reply back whenever you get a text, will make this a never-ending problem, I fear.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-14-2014 05:44 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, once you have the audience trained it gets to be less of a problem. As everyone here knows, I take a hard line on phones in my theatre and these days it's relatively rare that I have to tell anyone to shut their phone off. I think the secret is to be consistent and to keep an eye on what's going on so you can jump on anyone with a phone as soon as they haul it out.

It does make me wonder what's wrong with some people, though. They walked past two signs telling them to turn their phone off, sat through a policy trailer telling them the same thing, and then they decide to send a text to their brother's cousin's neice's mother-in-law as soon as the show starts. "Hey, turn off your phone. It lights up the room." "Huh?"

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2014 07:00 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From France:
http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-divers/videos-floride-abattu-au-cinema-a-cause-du-bruit-de-ses-sms-14-01-2014-3492485.php

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-14-2014 11:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Reports also say the retired cop left the theater to find a manager, but gave up on that, returned to his seat and pursued the argument with the phone user. I think that's going to be an important issue if a "stand your ground" self-defense claim is made. A smart person would have been persistent about finding a theater manager (which really isn't hard to do). If management refused to do anything about the situation the customer could demand a refund. The retired cop did exactly what he should not have done: go back into the theater and get into it with a total stranger.
According to a report on NPR just now, the gunman (Reeves) claims that he saw the deceased put his hand in his pocket, which he thought, incorrectly, was reaching for a gun: at that point, he drew his own and fired. In other words, he's claiming that the shooting was in legitimate, pre-emptive self-defence. Needless to say, no gun was found in the victim's pocket.

Agreed completely with Bobby that this man at the very least acted was monumentally stupid in creating a totally unnecessary confrontation, let alone a fatal one. There was a fatal stabbing in a British cinema in the '90s under very similar circumstances, the only difference being that smelly fast food rather than texting was the cause of the initial confrontation. Sadly, stupid people will do stupid things.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-15-2014 03:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
The theater where the shooting took place now has a complete ban on electronics. Not sure how they plan to enforce that but there you go. At least it'll make it so that when people pull 'em out in an auditorium they can be ejected.
Sorry, you can't bring your pacemaker or hearing aid with you, but since your gun is a purely mechanical device, no problemo.

In the digital age, it shouldn't be hard to run a trailer for each and every presentation indicating when the silent period starts.

I personally don't mind people talking or texting while commercials are playing and the house lights are still on or dimmed. Unfortunately, every chain or rather every location implements its own more or less consistent sequence of events before the feature starts, making it hard for some people to recognize when the actual movie starts. Often people keep on talking and texting right into the feature presentation, sometimes right until the first dialogue starts: Hey, ssht, the movie is apparently on...

So, whether or not those visual cues regarding when to shut your face and fingers are a bit childish, some people rather seem to need them.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-15-2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious if that Good Samaritan was also armed.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the news this morning that the good Samaritan was an off duty cop. I bet he was armed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: