Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Buy vs lease, build vs renovate

Author Topic: Buy vs lease, build vs renovate
Martin Thuss
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2013 04:53 PM      Profile for Martin Thuss   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Thuss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious to know which of you own your land/building, which of you lease and which of you are somewhere in between (ground lease, for example). We are weighing our options right now (meeting with an industry consultant tomorrow to discuss this topic among many others).

Also, which of you built and which of you bought an existing building and renovated? There is no existing theatre building in our town, so if we bought an existing building and renovated, I'm pretty sure we would be looking at fairly extensive renovations.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-26-2013 06:23 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre building was vacant building that formerly housed a paint and wallpaper store. When I purchased the building it was more-or-less just one single large empty room, so I renovated it into a theatre, created a lobby, an auditorium, washrooms and so forth. A couple of years after that I decided that my lobby was far too small, so I bought the vacant lot next to me and built a new front door and lobby on that property, so now my building is a kind of a big L shape, with the lobby off to the side of the main building that houses everything else.

I bought the storefront building from the former owner, and I bought the vacant lot from the city after they repossessed it from whoever owned it before for unpaid taxes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-26-2013 07:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 3-screen theater in Laurel MT that was built in a former grocery store.

I would think, if the ceiling is high enough it would be possible to build a stadium-style cinema in just about any large room.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-26-2013 07:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big problem is codes which sometimes require that no wood be allowed in building at all. Be careful. You can remodel the building and get all the permits.

Can you then get the Occupancy Certificate? If not, then admission cannot be charged.

Randy Pryde
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2013 10:40 PM      Profile for Randy Pryde   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Pryde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have converted two buildings to stadium multiplexes. The first was a 90 year old masonry building. To get sufficient interior heights, we had to raise the walls and construct a new roof. Construction costs were similar to a brand new structure. However, there were substantial savings because we had limited site work.

The second was the conversion of an old Wal-Mart. We were able to get our ceiling heights by excavating the front half of each auditorium. Construction cost was less than new, and the existing parking lot was a big plus.

Conversions are tough and require a lot of thought to do correctly. Find an architect who has experience in theatre design, or a theatre consultant to assist your local architect.

Find out which code book your local jurisdiction uses and buy a copy. Read it cover to cover, particularly those sections that would apply to movie theatres. Most small town officials have never been asked to approve a movie theatre before. When you meet with them for your plan review, the process goes much smoother when you can respectfully quote the relevant sections of the code.

Louis has hit on a very important point. Make sure every possible official (planning, zoning, fire, health, environmental, etc.) signs off on your plans before beginning construction.

The economics are tough for a brand new building in a small market, but it is lot more fun than a conversion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: