Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Renovation help

Author Topic: Renovation help
Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2013 05:33 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone! I am purchasing a 411 seat theater in Ely Nevada. I have been running it as a first run movie house on behalf of the current owner but are planning on running second run film, live sports on satellite tv, live music and live theater. The question I have is who would you recommend working with so I can bring in the digital projector and all of the necessary components. I would like to still run an occasional 35mm but will be mostly relying on digital so I need a recomendation for a projector, media block and anything else you can think of. SO glad I found this site!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-05-2013 06:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at this site:

Independent Marketing Edge (I.M.E.)

This site contains a list of just about anybody who sells anything in the industry. You can sort the lists by name, location, etc.

Click on "Vendor Database." From there you can click on the category you want, and once you have the list of vendors, you can click on the vendor name and it will pop up a box with website and contact info.

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2013 12:22 AM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent resource Mike! Thank You!

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 11:42 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful running sports on the big screen. I have worked at 2 separate theaters that got burned by the NFL for that one. They have a screen size limit for exhibition, even if you aren't charging admission.

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 02:31 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any body work with the film booking agency "Swank" Any other suggestions?n Love this site!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 02:36 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swank is almost exclusively Non-Theatrical. The main exception is they have the theatrical rights to that portion of the Disney catalog Disney wants out (i.e.: everything but the classic cartoons and, I think, the Pixar stuff). Other that that, you pretty much want to avoid Swank.

You want to deal with each of the distributors individually (or hire a booker to do it for you). It usually requires signing away your first born, but as long as you pay them what you owe they don't collect on the children.

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 03:54 AM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Martin! Is IMDB pro worth it?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2013 08:36 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you plan to do your own booking, it's a good resource for the first year or so. After that, if you stick with strictly mainstream stuff it probably won't help much. If you want to go indie/art/foreign etc, it is essential.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2013 04:57 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had a pretty good experience with Co-Operative Theatres. They book for 300 screens, with a focus on small and independent theaters.

http://www.cooptheatres.com/

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2013 08:09 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark, What a great site!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: