Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Netflix Boss Suggest How To Save Movies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Netflix Boss Suggest How To Save Movies
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-26-2013 11:23 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/theater-owners-might-kill-movies-warns-netflixs-sarandos-1200765818/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breakingnewsalert

quote:
Content chief calls for big movies to bow on Netflix day and date with theaters

Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos launched a blistering attack on theater owners for stifling innovation, warning in a speech Saturday that they “might kill movies.”

What’s more, the exec called on the owners to allow big movies to open via Netflix day and date with their release in theaters, in his keynote at the Film Independent Forum in Los Angeles.

Addressing the ill-fated premium VOD model, Sarandos (pictured above, right) said theater owners were the problem.

“Theater owners stifle this kind of innovation at every turn,” he said. “The reason why we may enter this space and try to release some big movies ourselves this way, is because I’m concerned that as theater owners try to strangle innovation and distribution, not only are they going to kill theaters–they might kill movies.”

Sarandos was alluding to exhibitors’ resistance in previous years to any digital release of movies that would impinge on their own windows, as when Universal nearly changed the traditional distribution strategy for the 2011 movie “Tower Heist,” only to back down after considerable pressure. Studios have since largely disavowed premium VOD, though smaller independent films have been released day-and-date with increasing frequency in recent years.

But he stopped short of criticizing the studios. “I don’t blame the studios for what they’re doing and I don’t fault them, because the studios are always trying to innovate,” he said.

Sarandos turned to statistics from this summer’s box office, pointing out that though more movies with a budget of more than $75 million were released this summer than any summer before, theaters saw only a six percent lift in attendance.

Just days after indicating on Netflix’s third-quarter earnings call his interest in getting into the movie Sarandos went a step further today when he suggested releasing “big movies” on Netflix the same day they appear in theaters.

“Why not premiere movies on Netflix the same day they’re opening in theaters? And not little movies. There’s a lot of people and a lot of ways to do that. But why not big movies?”

“Why not follow with the consumer’s desire to watch things when they want, instead of spending tens of millions of dollars to advertise to people who may not live near a theater, and then make them wait for four or five months before they can even see it?” he added. “They’re probably going to forget.”

This comes after Monday’s third quarter earning’s call, where Sarandos, seeing the success of original series like “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black,” said Netflix expects to double its original programming spending in 2014 and include original movies. Though he couldn’t quantify how much original series helped boost business, he said “it definitely helped.” Netflix currently has more than 31.1 million customers.

Sarandos also hinted plans at a third season of “House of Cards,” which is currently in its last week of shooting season two.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-26-2013 11:56 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By linking movie budgets to attendance, he completely invalidates his argument. It's well established that people will not turn up to a crap movie regardless of whether the budget was $20 million or $200 million. Just as a good movie will draw people in, even if it was made for just a few thousand dollars (and is picked up by a studio for distribution).

Setting aside all other arguments, the problem I have with the day and date argument is that theatres have a finite period of time to play a movie before having to move on to the next title. Where Netflix will be able to make money off the movie more or less forever.

I would also argue that the compacting of the home video release window has been an overall bad thing for the movie industry. Because so much emphasis is placed on seeing a movie NOW, the studios have to be constantly putting out new product. This results in more scripts from the reject pile getting made. This has also resulted in more actors getting roles who have no business being in movies.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2013 01:10 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The basic truth that people like Ted Sarandos, who have never worked in the exhibition industry a day in their life, simply do not understand is that home video in all its forms needs the theatrical promotional engine to get the word out about the new titles. They need the tens of millions of promotional dollars distributors spend to promote these movies. They need the word of mouth that films build to become the Gravitys and Slumdog Millionaires and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragons of our industry. Does Ted Sarandos really think people will pay PVOD prices for something like Shaun of the Dead or Saw or Paranormal Activity or Napoleon Dynamite or Juno, in order to see them at home the same day they opened in theatres?

The guy is simply talking out of greed. He has a big piece of a pie, and he wants more. And he thinks he can do that by taking a piece of another person's pie. He's just not satisfied with what he has now. Which shouldn't be surprising. That's what us Americans do. Consume and consume. Try to take more and more.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-27-2013 10:11 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And anytime they want, the big studios can say "No more new product for you, Netflix, we're starting our own VOD service." We'll see how he feels about day and date then [evil]

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2013 10:45 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this is a good idea. Theatres have a monopoly right now. They don't have competition from home sources during the release window and they often don't have competition from nearby theatres because of the non-compete contracts. As a result, they have no real incentive to do a good job.

If every movie came out in theatres and home video at the same time, what would happen?

Many people would say I'm not going to pay extra to see this in a cinema that:
  • Has a screen that barely looks bigger than my set at home.
  • Doesn’t stop people from talking or using their cell phones.
  • Projects at a resolution that isn’t any better than what I have at home.
  • Doesn’t bother keeping all of their speakers in working order.
  • Blasts me with commercials before the show.
  • “Other”
    (pick all that apply)
No one would bother going to a crappy theatres, and all of the crappy theatres would close down.
Theatres would be required to compete if they wanted draw people in. They would have to provide something special. Attendance would rise at the places that got it right.

Or maybe not.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
Just as a good movie will draw people in, even if it was made for just a few thousand dollars (and is picked up by a studio for distribution).
And if you have a good movie that is drawing decent demand, the studios usually in most cases will not offer it to Netflix on when released on video.

Netflix is just trying to get some attention from this.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-27-2013 01:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Has a screen that barely looks bigger than my set at home.
Doesn’t stop people from talking or using their cell phones.
Projects at a resolution that isn’t any better than what I have at home.
Doesn’t bother keeping all of their speakers in working order.
Blasts me with commercials before the show.
“Other”
(pick all that apply)

You forgot "is too cheap to install proper masking". I will ALWAYS pass on any movie or even a Dolby Atmos presentation if my only option to see it is on an unmasked screen. That pulls me more "out of the movie" than anything you listed above (except possibly the cell phone thing).

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-27-2013 02:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pick and choose which movies to see "on the big screen." Many movies don't warrant it.

Even so, if going to the movies was more fun and less of a hassle (and less expensive) I might not be so picky.

Thing is, by the time a movie comes out on video, I'm not thinking about it anymore. So day-and-date VOD would probably be a good thing for me, as a consumer -- and for the studios, because they'd end up getting more of my money.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Has a screen that barely looks bigger than my set at home.
Doesn’t stop people from talking or using their cell phones.
Projects at a resolution that isn’t any better than what I have at home.
Doesn’t bother keeping all of their speakers in working order.
Blasts me with commercials before the show.
“Other”
(pick all that apply)

I would probably go out to see a movie more often if there were more THX auditoriums, most of the multiplex theatres are not very good. Watching digital cinema is not that great either.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-27-2013 09:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
If every movie came out in theatres and home video at the same time, what would happen?

Many people would say I'm not going to pay extra to see this in a cinema

You are forgetting one big thing: There is a huge number of people who (1) ONLY want to see the movie the day it comes out, or very quickly at least, and (2) don't care what kind of device they watch it on. They would be just as happy watching it on a phone as a theater screen.

The problem is the theater industry NEEDS that group of people. There are lots of people who like the theater experience as the best way to see a movie, but many who don't really give a crap HOW they see it; what matters to them is WHEN they see it. So if a movie came out on Netflix, that group is just as likely to watch it on their smartphone as in a theater. (Probably more likely, since they're going to go with the cheapest option since they don't care about quality.)

quote: Edward Havens
home video in all its forms needs the theatrical promotional engine to get the word out about the new titles. They need the tens of millions of promotional dollars distributors spend to promote these movies. They need the word of mouth that films build to become the Gravitys and Slumdog Millionaires and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragons of our industry.
Correct. If a movie came out on all-platforms at once, the video industry would get part of the pie and exhibition would get a smaller part than it gets now. The video people would be paying less money than the theatrical people, because who knows how many people are over at Joe's house watching the movie he paid $20 for. Therefore the studios would get less money, and the theaters would get less money. Eventually marginal theaters would close down and the studios would get even less money. And so on. Next thing you know, the movie industry is a reiteration of the music industry, which despite the huge "popularity" of downloads, is a shadow of what it was just 15 years ago.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2013 04:43 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ted Sarandos has nothing to lose and everything to gain from making such comments. He was careful to target his competition (exhibitors) and not bite the hand the feeds him (studios).

It would be a major detriment to my business, but I do forsee a day when a major release is done simultaneously in theaters and to homes (as I have stated before in related discussions). I think it's inevitable, and it's just a matter of "when" not "if."

Currently, theatrical releases are the primary marketing vehicle for a movie's home release. This is indisputable... right now. All it takes is for the numbers to swing enough where it makes sense for a studio to try doing a day-and-date. "Tower Heist" was a trial that didn't work (as far as I know), but my guess is that it still provided some critical data to make the next attempt more successful.

The idea that a movie is not good if it doesn't go to full theatrical release isn't accurate. We would like it to be true, because it maintains the current status quo of sending worthy movies through the theatrical pipeline, but how different is a limited theatrical run (a few weeks in a few dozen theaters) to a non-theatrical run for an independent movie? If it's good, it's good, no matter how many theaters it played in.

The difference is in how many people can be reached to attract them to see it, and then generate some word of mouth and other buzz. That challenge can be overcome quality product with an effective marketing campaign.

Take a look at original programming on cable for an example. Eight years ago, who would have guessed that AMC would have garnered the popularity it has gotten with Mad Men, The Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad? How about HBO and Showtime with their original programming? Then take a look at what Netflix has done with shows like House of Cards. Before they happened, few people would have thought that those organizations had it in them (HBO might be an exception because of their time in the trenches).

Getting back to movies, Lincoln almost went direct-to-video. If it had, it wouldn't have been eligible for the 12 Oscar nominations that it received, as well as the two wins. Would Daniel Day-Lewis' performance been any less good if it had premiered on HBO or Netflix instead of doing a theatrical run?

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2013 05:40 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
"Tower Heist" was a trial that didn't work
Tower Heist was a trial that didn't happen. Not that a PVOD release would have helped that P.O.S. film any.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-28-2013 07:08 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once read a comment somewhere (maybe here?), "A movie company without theatres is just a television company without a channel."

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2013 08:45 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if they also flipped it around?

What if local cinemas had regular showings of things that are normally on TV?

Breaking Bad...Game of Thrones...Sporting Events...Jeopardy...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-28-2013 10:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do forsee a day when a major release is done simultaneously in theaters and to homes (as I have stated before in related discussions). I think it's inevitable, and it's just a matter of "when" not "if."
Come on, you're starting to sound like Richard Greenfield here. Sure, it might happen. Then when they find out they've killed the goose that lays the golden boxoffice grosses, then what?

Currently, theatrical releases are the primary marketing vehicle for a movie's home release. This is indisputable... right now. All it takes is for the numbers to swing enough where it makes sense for a studio to try doing a day-and-date.
You say "right now." It's been the same way ever since the invention of TV. The only thing that's changed is the ancillary streams. The engine pulling the train has never changed and there's no indication it will.

And, it's not just the marketing. It's the money too. People aren't going to watch movies day and date on TV en masse until the price is ridiculously low, say five bucks...not the $50-60 that studios keep touting. But nobody is going to get rich selling a blockbuster stream at a $5 price point. The studios need more money than that.

And whether the price is high or low, the massive piracy that will follow on Day 2 of the release will make today's piracy problems look like a walk in the park.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: