Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » A return of 35mm installs for Nolan's next project "Interstellar" ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: A return of 35mm installs for Nolan's next project "Interstellar" ?
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading on another forum that the next Christopher Nolan project called "Interstellar" will be filmd in IMAX and 35mm scope.

The studio press release used the words 35mm Anamorphic and IMAX film photography in that order. Also in the press release, it states that the film will be released in IMAX and 35mm theaters on Nov 7th 2014.

With the demise of 35mm reported at the end of 2013. Are we going to see the major chains add 35mm capability for this film in the same fashion as "The Master" which added 70mm? http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2013/08/13/christopher-nolan-interstellar-begins-filming/

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 01:04 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A guarantee you this is just a poorly written press release. There is no way in hell the people putting $200m+ in to this project will forgo the many theatres built in the past 5-10 years that have never had a 35mm projection system, just because of some hard-on Mr. Nolan has for celluloid.

I remember, a couple years ago, how Mr. Nolan actually thought it would be possible for IMAX digital houses to install 15/70 systems side-by-side in order to run TDKR as he wished. [Roll Eyes]

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 01:24 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward, the side by side digital/film IMAX theaters did exist and did happen. Cineplex has a few that can do both and world's biggest screen in Australia can do both currently. These were 15/70 that were able to do digital as well.

I don't think the studio will ignore digital houses, but installing 35mm in some chain theaters is not out of the question. 70mm was done for the Master, why not a big budget movie?

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 01:52 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well perhaps we should have all kept a 35mm machine, like I did. So excited to be giving it a run for a public (paying) show next week (and again two weeks later)

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 02:33 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I am sure there will be some 35mm somewhere for a handful of 35mm installations if this were in fact true.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-02-2013 02:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming that the above is true, it sounds great in principle, even if it just means that the 35mm prints will be released in advance of the [dlp] version.

Somehow, though, I fear that this will result in lots of trashed prints. I am willing to bet that most of the places that have installed [dlp] no longer employ anyone who is competent in 35mm projection, even if they kept some 35mm equipment around.

But, still, for the venues that support 35mm, have good equipment, and have competent people to run it, this is good news.

Regarding The Master: did anyone actually do a new 70mm installation for this? My understanding is that most or all of these engagements were done in venues that already had 70mm capability, but maybe needed DTS or new 1.85 70mm aperture plates and lenses or some other relatively minor upgrades.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 02:44 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater has one of the reinstalled 15/70mm IMAX projectors, and we had to run TDKR on it. That just sucked. It was nothing but a pain, and very very not worth it. I'm now a little horrified at the thought that he'd want everyone to run his next project in 35mm. This is Christopher Nolan we're talking about. If anyone had the will and ability to make that happen, it's him. Granted, that's not as insane or annoying as running IMAX film, but it's still another hassle that I'd really like to not go through again.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 02:47 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, would you rather just have sucky 2K IMAX digital then?

quote: Scott Norwood
Regarding The Master: did anyone actually do a new 70mm installation for this? My understanding is that most or all of these engagements were done in venues that already had 70mm capability, but maybe needed DTS or new 1.85 70mm aperture plates and lenses or some other relatively minor upgrades.
In Toronto Ontario, the Varsity added everything to a former 35mm theater that had been running digital. It was all used second hand equipment of course. There was no 35mm at the facility when 70mm was added.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 02:56 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hold that our IMAX digital system is unusually good. I was actually quite surprised at how crisp it looked when we first had it installed, especially since we do have a decent sized IMAX screen (none of that IMAX lite crap). Besides, most of the movies coming out in IMAX these days were shot and distributed in 2K anyway. Only a handful of the releases I saw when we had IMAX film were actually sharp enough to take advantage of it, and it doesn't look like that's improved over the years. It's kinda sad, actually. :/

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2013 03:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True 15-perf 70mm film projection of 15/65mm originated material isn't worth it? As opposed to HDTV resolution video blown up to a size way past acceptable scale? Puh-leeze!

If booth operator convenience is the top priority, I'll go one better: I won't visit the theater. That will be one less ticket to justify even pressing a "start" button.
[Roll Eyes]

With Interstellar I strongly doubt Nolan would be able to get away with a film-only release. Theaters built in the last few years were built [dlp] only. Quite a few theaters that have converted to [dlp] have left 35mm intact side by side on at least one or two screens. The Carmike theater in my town has 35mm capability on 2 screens. But I don't know what's going to happen with that theater when a new 13 screen complex opens a few blocks away next year. I agree with the concerns quite a few 35mm prints could be trashed.

Personally, I don't really care all that much about 35mm showings of Interstellar. But if Nolan is going to film significant parts of the movie in 15/65mm then real IMAX film based projection damned sure does make a giant difference.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-02-2013 03:10 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run both film and digital, and I'm aware of the benefits of each.

However, regardless of shooting format, if those film prints come from a DI, then the digital "prints" will be closer to the original source material, and the final screening will look just as good as the first.

In that case, I'd prefer to show (and see) the digital print. But that's just me.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 03:13 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I strongly doubt Nolan would be able to get away with a film-only release
I think we can assume that Nolan is not going for a 35mm only release. But a few hundred screens out of a 3000 release feature is possible. Nolan was able to convince the chains to keep 15/70 as IMAX Digital was being installed.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-02-2013 03:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this point, it all just seems like ego mania to me -- a few film makers testing out how much power they can wield. Enough already!

The studios effectively forced cinemas to junk their film equipment and go to great expense to transition to digital...and now they're giving special treatment to cinemas that have film equipment?

In terms of Hollywood releases, if film makes any sort of comeback -- especially in relation to the so-called "tent pole" releases -- I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were lawsuits.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 03:27 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were lawsuits
I highly doubt the big chains are going to have any problem installing a dozen or so 35mm projectors in major cities for a huge movie. The mom and pops can get the digital copy.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2013 03:35 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Referring back to Scott's question about 70mm setups for "The Master": I can confirm that BOTH of the 70mm showcases for that movie in L.A. were done with "rented" equipment. It ran at the Arclight Hollywood, and at the Landmark, in West L.A. The same guy provided a full setup of Norelco DP70s and platters for each venue. The projectors remained for the duration of the initial commercial run screenings, and the installation at the Arclight actually had a brief re-engagement of "The Master" somewhere around Oscar time early this year. But the last I heard, from someone who's been in there recently, is that all that 70mm equipment is once again "gone with the wind".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: