Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Way to go Cineplex you sure know how to ruin a presentation

Author Topic: Way to go Cineplex you sure know how to ruin a presentation
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2013 01:26 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For $15, you get to not just hear the speakers, but you get to see them while you watch the movie. This is from an AVX cinema with Atmos sound.

-

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2013 02:38 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently visited an AMC theater in Webster NY to see "Were the Millers" It had a Curved screen, I think it was a Torus the corners were round. From where I was sitting a reflection bouncing off one of the speakers would appear during bright scenes and there was Moire. Both were distracting.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2013 09:55 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, where else do you expect a cinema operator to put the surround sound speakers?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-26-2013 10:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he is getting at the fact that the speaker intrudes on the screen from the seat point of view. You can see the speaker poking in to the right side of the picture. Either the front-most surround speaker is too close to the screen, or the seat is too close to the wall.

When we put in surround sound, we removed the seat closest to the wall from both ends of each row to avoid this exact problem.

Going by that picture, I would be more irritated by the bright star lights on the walls than the speaker 'intrusion.'

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-26-2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You realize the MPAA is coming after you for taking that picture? [evil]

And wow, those star lights are obnoxious

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those star lights are supposed to dim when the trailers start.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2013 08:39 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So your the one I keep seeing with his phone out during a movie!! Lol

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-26-2013 10:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you sit that far off to the side anyway? [Roll Eyes]

Of course if you're practically in the aisle (or snuggling with the side wall) you'll have the speaker intruding in the image...but like Mike pointed out, it would have been wise for Cineplex to not install seats that far to the sides.

And I agree that the "stars" are far more annoying than the speaker is.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-26-2013 10:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first mistake was to pay the $15 admission fee.

The star lights are more annoying than the speakers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: