Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Movie theatre fined for locked emergency doors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Movie theatre fined for locked emergency doors
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-23-2013 11:55 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie theatre fined for locked emergency doors
quote:
Saskatoon's fire marshal slapped Galaxy Cinema with a $250 fine for not having its emergency doors connected to the fire system, preventing people from exiting the theatre after a bear spray attack.

Dozens of people who were watching the comedy We're The Millers were trapped in the dark room Tuesday night after bear repellant was released in the theatre.

People tried to push on the bars of the fire exit doors, but they remained locked. About 150 people were forced out in total, but no one was seriously injured.

"There is lots of documented cases in North America where occupants of a building have been trapped and prevented from egressing from the building because of this kind of an incident," said Wayne Rodgers, Saskatoon's fire marshal.

Rodgers has issued the theatre a $250 ticket and has ordered the theatre to re-evaluate and update their fire emergency plan so all their staff know what to do in case something like this happens again.

"We have also instructed them, in the meantime, to either disconnect the maglocks that are on those doors," said Wayne Rodgers, Saskatoon's fire marshal. "Or at all times when that theatre is occupied that there will be security personnel at those doors, in the event of an emergency, so that they can activate the fire alarm system," he said.

Seven people were treated at the scene by fire crews, who used decontamination gear.

Police said video surveillance from inside the theatre links a woman and two men to the bear spray attack. They are asking anyone with information about the suspect to contact them.

Locked fire exit doors sounds life-threatening to me. I'm surprised the fine was only $250.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-23-2013 01:49 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. There was a major fire a couple of years ago in I think some sort of nightclub where people were trapped by exit doors. In 1971 the Summerland fire on the Isle of Man killed about 50. There have been several cases of pyrotechnics used on stage have set fire to plastic materials used in buildings. Getting large numbers of people out of large burning buildings quickly is a serious business.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-23-2013 02:19 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 250US$ for a business regularly dealing with so many possible victims is a joke.

That would have been okay if they simply had found the doors locked WITHOUT any real incident showing the mistake.

- Carsten

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2013 02:40 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the panic bar is supposed to deactivate the mag-lock. In no way should operating the panic bar prevent egress. $250 is less than a slap on the wrist.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-23-2013 04:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
There was a major fire a couple of years ago in I think some sort of nightclub where people were trapped by exit doors. In 1971 the Summerland fire on the Isle of Man killed about 50.
The combination of fires and blocked emergency exits have been responsible for the biggest death and injury tolls that have ever taken place in movie theatres and many other types of enclosed space with lots of people gathered at high density.

Sometimes the emergency exits are even blocked intentionally. In the Glen Cinema Fire in 1929, the exits were chained up to prevent people from sneaking in to see a movie without paying. Cocoanut Grove fire, 1942 - 409 dead - victims trapped by turnstile. Rex Cinema Fire, 1978 - exact number of dead unknown, but at least 470 - doors locked and fire started (though admittedly this one is unusual, as it was done deliberately as an act of mass-murder).

For these reasons and others, agreed with all of the above - failing to ensure properly working emergency exits while customers are in the building should always be treated as a very serious violation by the authorities.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2013 05:41 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading a book last month about the Chicago Theater Fire
(also known as the Iroquois Theater Fire) of 1903 in which over 600 people died.

Many were trapped by locked or confusing exits. A number of our present theater
building safety codes, such as requiring doors to open outward and be equipped
with 'crash bars' came out of this disaster.

Although I don't think the exact cause of the fire was 100% established, there
seems to be pretty good circumstantial evidence that it was started by a short
circuit in a lighting unit on the stage.

If you search online, you can find the official investigative reports by the fire
marshal & coronor's jury which were published a year or so after the event.

The reports make very interesting, if somewhat gruesome, reading.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-23-2013 06:27 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater should be shut down until the emergency exits are fixed.

Period.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-23-2013 08:01 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a major fire a couple of years ago in I think some sort of nightclub where people were trapped by exit doors.
You're probably thinking of The Station nightclub fire where Great White was performing. 100 people died and 200+ were injured.
The Station Night Club Fire

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2013 08:49 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a Cineplex Cinema under the Galaxy brand.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-23-2013 11:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
$250 is insulting to the customers. The only way to get the importance of public safety to businesses is at least a $10,000 fine with no warning. I agree with Randy too they should've done a forced evacuation and closed the whole building until everything was 100% up to spec.

This WILL happen again with such a pathetic fine.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-24-2013 12:56 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can see why they could do a forced evac, I think it would have better for the sheriff to show up the next morning before business opens, chain and padlock the front doors and stick one of those big orange signs on the front window.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-24-2013 03:34 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
You're probably thinking of The Station nightclub fire where Great White was performing. 100 people died and 200+ were injured.
The Station Night Club Fire

No, I found it. It was this one in Brazil:

web page

The cause was a combination of plastic insulation foam in the ceiling and pyrotechnics used on stage, a combination which had caused other serious fires around the world previously. Even without the pyrotechnics the use of this foam should never have been allowed in this situation.

The Summerland fire involved Oroglas, an acrylic sheeting, and a material which consisted if steel sheet coated with asbestos and bitumen. Lessons about the use of flammable materials in large public buildings are not being learned, at least in some parts of the world.

Another one which I remember seeing on the news was in a gay club in Soho, London, close to a fire station, but the fire brigade were delayed reaching it by the narrow streets being blocked by vehicles. If I remember correctly, this one also involved inappropriate materials in the structure of the building, and an excessive number of people inside.

Two large buildings in London each suffered two large fires. In North London the Alexandra Palace opened in 1873, and totally destroyed by fire just a couple of weeks later. It was rebuilt, but in 1980, still open but rather run down, and in need of major refurbishment it was again struck by fire, with just about everything except the outer walls lost. A long-disused theatre and the old television studios did survive. It was again rebuilt within the existing walls.

It's counterpart in South London, the Crystal Palace, was originally built in 1851 for the Great Exhibition in Hyde Park. After the exhibition closed it was dismantled, and re-erected in an enlarged form on a hill at Sydenham, opening in 1854. By the 1860s the North wing had blown down in a storm, and the North end of the main building, including the North transept, had been destroyed in a fire. Neither was re-built; a television transmission tower stands roughly on the site today.

In 1936 the whole of the main building was destroyed by fire, except for two towers which were demolished soon afterwards. The concrete bases of these towers, and a few other traces, remain to this day. Fortunately, the building was not open at the time, and there were only a few people inside. The building was constructed of cast iron and glass, but contained a great deal of wood, mainly in the floors.

My mother managed to set fire to the kitchen twice. The first time the smoke from just a small area of polystyrene foam tiles was incredible; I couldn't see even a foot in front of my face, and I don't think it would have taken much of it to kill. Incredibly, she insisted on putting back similar tiles, with the same effect in the second fire.

Fire is something to be taken seriously, and I agree with Randy that the building should have been closed until the exits were in proper order.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-24-2013 09:58 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The only way to get the importance of public safety to businesses is at least a $10,000 fine with no warning.
While I agree $250 was too low, 10 grand would put a lot of places out of business, or maybe cause them to have to raise their prices to recover.

Making them be closed until they've jumped through all the hoops could have similar effects.

This could have just been a simple oversight. If it was the second or third offense, then fine, otherwise maybe $1000 would make sense.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-24-2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1936 the whole of the main building was destroyed by fire, except for two towers which were demolished soon afterwards. The concrete bases of these towers, and a few other traces, remain to this day. Fortunately, the building was not open at the time, and there were only a few people inside. The building was constructed of cast iron and glass, but contained a great deal of wood, mainly in the floors.
Geeky fact alert: that fire was also the subject of the first live outside broadcast in Britain. The preamp output from an OB truck (which at the time was only capable of recording onto disc cutting lathes on location, not actual broadcasting) was patched into a phone line on a spur-of-the-moment "Let's see if this'll work" decision, and the rest was history.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2013 12:45 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember, years ago, watching a dire experience in a cinema in Coventry, which has now closed, when, during the interval, one of the usherettes removed the chains from the exit doors, we had been on the premises over 90 mins, I left, and voiced concern to the manager, never went to that flea pit again, lousy ,lousy show, and felt rather uneasy in the circumstances

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: