Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 3D and 2D showtimes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 3D and 2D showtimes
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2013 02:22 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have only one screen dedicated to showing a movie that you want to screen in both 3D and 2D, how do you schedule your 3D showtimes vs. your 2D showtimes?

For Example:
Monsters University
11:30 2:00 4:30 7:00 9:30

Which of these showtimes would you show 3D and which would you show in 2D?

Would you schedule it differently for an adult action picture?

Which of these showtimes would you schedule for 3D and 2D for Man of Steel?: 12:30 3:45 7:00 10:15

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2013 05:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should have at least one matinee each day in 2-D, and maybe a few evenings a week, have 2-D shows in the evenings.

It would kind of depend on the demand in your area. The key though is to give everybody a proper choice....by that I mean, you shouldn't JUST schedule 2-D matinees. People should be able to see 2-D or 3-D at various times of day.

Here, we generally do not run matinees, so what I've been doing lately is Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon all shows 3-D, and Tue-Wed-Thur all shows 2-D. For a kiddie movie like Monsters I would maybe convert the Monday to a 2-D night as well.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2013 10:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to add this thought but ran out of editing time.

I just looked up our shows for the first half of this year. We played seven 3-D movies. On most of those 3-D movies we played six 3-D shows, and two or three 2-D showings per week. (We run two shows on Fri/Sat but only one the rest of the week, generally, and if a movie isn't showing on the break we're closed on Thursday.)

Our 3-D surcharge is $2.50.

Even though we had FAR more 2-D showings than 3-D ones, 3-D still contributed more than half of the dollars in the till. Even if we didn't have the surcharge, 3-D would still be nearly tied with 2-D in the overall gross race.

So....your own mileage may vary of course, and naturally we have a lot of people here who don't like 3-D, but it's actually been quite good for us financially. And definitely, offering a good mix of 2-D and 3-D shows has paid off. Our Tues-Wed-Thurs crowds have never been better even on the non-3-D movies.

I haven't looked at the last couple of years to see how this ratio is trending.....I'll have to do that if I ever get some spare time!

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2013 05:57 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We solved that by showing 2D and 3D close to the same times but on different screens.
Probably the best bet is to look at your previous 3D movies with the same target audience and see how many admissions per show on average each got, to divide how many 2D vs 3D showings you should schedule. Personally I would alternate, start with a 2D, second one 3D, third 2D and so forth... although I have to admit here the 2D version usually gets about 1,5-2 times the viewers per show than the 3D version. Funny thing is that another cinema very close to ours has quite the opposite numbers, go figure.
Jabbering aside my point is, since each cinema and each audience is different, it's best to look at your own experience at that same site.

Despicable me 2 opens here tomorrow an I have three different versions running (six available altogether), with different language versions and 3D/2D. Fun, hu? Decisions, decisions...

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-04-2013 03:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually on a show where we're getting 5 shows a day it will go like this: 3D, 2D, 3D, 3D, 2D. Having the late show as a 2D helps boost attendance. With something that would normally have 4 shows, we do 3D, 2D, 3D, 3D.

At some point the balance is going to have to shift in favor of 2D as that seems to be what the public wants on most movies. With 3D movies, the 2D showing at 3:00/4:00 tends to be the busiest show of the day.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2013 10:14 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar to Justin.

5 shows: 2d, 3d, 2d, 3d, 2d
4 shows: 2d, 3d, 3d, 2d or 3d, 2d, 3d, 2d

If had six screens or more with just one big movie out (defintely not now but think Iron Man 3, I would run one room 2d and one room 3d. Actually since IM3 was in a dead time of the year I would run it on two screens even with just 4 screens.

Mike B: It would seem your 3d outperforms 2d because you are busier on Fri-Sun than Mon - Thur (or just Wed cause you are clsoed Thursdays?)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-05-2013 11:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would affect it too, absolutely. I was just surprised that 3D is actually ahead of 2D for us...I'd thought the sheer number of 2D showings (considering the majority of the movies are in 2D, plus we had 2D showings of all the 3D movies as well) would make 2D outdistance 3D grosswise. Especially when we hear all the talk about how the audience "prefers" 2D.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-06-2013 01:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Elise Brandt
We solved that by showing 2D and 3D close to the same times but on different screens.
I'm not so sure if that's the best way. The people who really don't want 3D will, generally, seek out the 2D showings regardless and then most of the other people are either seeking out the 3D or will see whatever is available now.

So if there's a 3D showing now and a 2D showing in an hour, pretty much everyone showing up now will go for the 3D one. But if the 2D show was put 15 mins from now, a few of those people will go to the 2D show that wouldn't have in the other instance.

Just food for thought.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, that is a good point, assuming there are actual walk-ins in the theater. We almost never have them, our audience as a rule comes in when the version they want to see is playing. Of course there is the small group of people who come in for the movie only, and simply looked at the showtimes not caring (or not caring to check) which version screens when.

I think this is again a question of difference in theaters, and audiences, and in their behaviour.

On a side note, to my great amazement:
Despicable me 2 that opened here this past weekend, did better in the original, English language version in 3D than in the finnish-dubbed version in 3D, although the original only had 2 screenings and the dubbed version 6! Did not see that one coming. (note: in Finland it is usual that the kids' movies are dubbed, none other, and the finnish versions usually do waaaay better than originals.)

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2013 10:10 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have those of you in the business found that people just don't like 3D, or are they going to 2D showings mainly so they don't have to pay the extra cost? If I made a movie in 3D I would not want ANY 2D showings, but I also would not want there to be an extra charge for it. If anything kills 3D, that extra charge is going to be it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2013 12:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you can divide the anti-3D people into these groups:

1. Those who don't want to pay extra even though they're getting something extra
2. Those who think 3D makes the picture too dim
3. Those who find the glasses uncomfortable
4. Those who either "can't see 3-D" or it gives them a headache or it makes them dizzy or they just don't like it in general
5. Parents whose kids won't wear the glasses, making the extra cost not worth it

I would say, around here at least, of the relatively few people who have made negative 3-D comments to me, most are older people in group 4. Even some of the older folks really like 3-D though...my mom is 82 and she loves it.

I'd guess that even the most staunch 3-D filmmaker wouldn't object to 2-D showings of his movies. Their film is going to show up on 2-D TV (and other devices) eventually anyway, and if there are lots of people wanting to see a show in 2-D and it's possible to show it that way, why leave that money on the table?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-09-2013 02:01 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question I'm wondering is if anyone has found a successful method of listing 2D/3D so that customers are picking up the difference. 2D and 3D are a separate listing in all places where we publish our times, and customers are getting the right times. But we have a significant number of people showing up for 3D times unaware that it's a 3D showing - seldom do we have someone showing up for a 2D time thinking it's 3D.

For the most part, I echo what Mike says, but I would break it down differently.

1. Those who don't want to pay extra. This seems to be the largest group.
2. Those who simply do not like 3D.
3. Those who don't like to wear the glasses, or have some vision problem which makes 3D problematic.
4. Parents with younger children who don't like wearing 3D glasses, or won't keep them on.

In my opinion, the real issue with 3D is it's becoming too common, and most movies are not enhanced by the 3D effect. I tend to watch most of the 3D movies in 3D, primarily so I can monitor the equipment and watch for anything were the 3D really enhances the experience. For the most part I find I am apathetic about 3D. It doesn't really bother me, but it doesn't really do anything for me.

In my opinion, 3D should be reserved for that handful of movies every year where the 3D truly enhances the viewing experience. The last movie to meet that standard for me was Life of Pi. By having so many major movies released in 3D, and limiting the 2D showings, I believe we are just alienating our customers. And I think this proves out when I see the gross for 2D vs 3D. I haven't broken it down by genre, but in most cases it seems 2D is grossing more with fewer shows (or at least selling more tickets). And when we run a full schedule of each format, 2D wins out.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-09-2013 05:47 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
In my opinion, 3D should be reserved for that handful of movies every year where the 3D truly enhances the viewing experience.
Ahhh, but then you're taking a matter of opinion and expecting financial restraint from the studios.

Probably not on this planet.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2013 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that there are many 3D movies that should not be 3D. "Oblivion" being one recent example.

I also hate that every animated movie is now in 3D. I was hoping that after the initial furor died off, the studios would be selective about what would be 3D. But since every movie plays in 4 or 5 screens in the big multiplexes, there's no need for them to forego 3D -- they can stick it on every movie, even the ones that don't need it, get plenty of screens for both formats, and cash in on the surcharges.

The only time we play a 3D movie with a full 2D schedule is if it is general flop and we have nothing good to fill the calendar with. "Yogi Bear" from a couple of years ago was an example. We played it in 2D only and yes, we got a few complaints including one guy who said "Why should I come to a 2D movie? I can get 2D at home!" (totally forgetting about the other 95% of the cinema experience, I guess).

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-09-2013 09:27 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I agree that there are many 3D movies that should not be 3D. "Oblivion" being one recent example.
Oblivion was not 3D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: