Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC Introduces "When To Pee" App ( ! )

Author Topic: AMC Introduces "When To Pee" App ( ! )
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2013 06:54 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a friend sent this to me I at first thought it was a joke.
But I went to the AMC website and it's for real!

AMC is introducing an app which (among other things) will tell you when the best time
to pee is during a movie so as not to miss any important plot details or action sequences.

Oh swell, just what we need- - one more reason for a bunch of inconsiderate
bozos to pull out their phones during a show. - - This only gives me more
proof of the digital 'dumbing down' of society and of the movie industry in general.
 -

AMC App Link

(Next they'll probably come up with an app that will alert you to when a fresh batch of corn is popped.)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-25-2013 07:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RunPee is a website that's been around for a long time and if now (of course) it is an "app" for smartphones. It's at runpee.com and not strictly associated with AMC.

It's not really as bad as it sounds. First of all, it's considerately designed: The screen is all white lettering on a black background.

Next and most important: You don't need to check your phone during a movie to use it. You just start the in-app "timer" when the feature film starts, and it makes your phone vibrate quickly when a good "time to go" rolls around. And, while you are in the bathroom you can open the app and it will tell you what's happening while you're in the can.

In short, if used properly it can be beneficial. I have to admit, as an industry we should actually welcome something like this since we are the ones selling the gigantic-sized drinks.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-25-2013 09:19 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should be rather amusing when everyone gets up to pee at the same time

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2013 08:29 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who has a bladder problem this would be brilliant for me.

Its unfortunate but there are those of us out there who cannot help it, and "holding it in" becomes painful after just a few minutes for me.

I didn't know about this so will download it to my phone

Thanks for the heads up!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-26-2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heads DOWN when pee-ing. Please! [Big Grin]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-26-2013 01:54 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our aim is to keep this washroom clean. Your aim would help.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-26-2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Should be rather amusing when everyone gets up to pee at the same time
That would be SO great to see.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-26-2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the director sitting in the back row of his movie would think.

Still this is a bit silly. It implies that all movies have parts that can be missed. Sure I get that, but it also reverse implies that there are parts of a Will Ferrell movie that shouldn't be missed.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-26-2013 04:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
+people could use it routinely - but a vibrating phone for everyone doesn't mean you need to pee when it goes off. Thus People will start talking to each other, check their emails, go to the concession for drink, etc., 'knowing' that they don't miss anything.

Fortunately, as most of these gimmicks, it will be gone in no time.

- Carsten

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-26-2013 09:14 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This just reminds me of a time 20+ years ago when we showed Once Upon A Time in the West. A long, complicated and wonderful movie. There is one scene where pretty much everything in the movie is explained. We had two HS girls who used to come to every movie together. They chose just before that scene to go to the restroom, together. They were begging for an explanation when the movie was over and I told them to never go pee at the same time;>

My other favorite pee related story is showing The Right Stuff. At just about the 90 min mark, when a regular length movie would be ending, Alan Shepard is on top of the rocket, ready to blast off and he has to pee. Water shots over and over. You could see the audience squirm from the booth.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: