Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » My local Regal doesn't show movie name outside each auditorium (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My local Regal doesn't show movie name outside each auditorium
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2013 12:31 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My local Regal Perimeter Point, in recent months, displays a generic "Digital Presentation" sign where the movie name would be. Is this to curb screen jumping so a few measly customers won't double dip? When I want to watch a couple of movies each week, I usually like to check out what movies are playingin which auditorium to decide if I need to come back to the same multiplex to watch that other movie.

Or with screen sharing inthe digital world, is it to save staff the hassle of having to switch signs in the same day?

Oh, and quite frankly, if I missed the first 10 min of another movie, it usually was a good way to check out the stuff I missed if the times matched . [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-13-2013 03:10 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hunch is your first suggestion might be right.

It's probably about as far as they could go without posting someone at the door... for which they'd likely be labeled "admission nazis".

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2013 09:31 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could possibly be a software issue. I do not know what Regal uses for their POS and Management systems but at Loews we used radiant and it controlled the auditorium LED signs automatically dependant upon the box office schedule so if you moved a screen in the schedule it would automatically update the LED signs. Maybe regal changes systems to an incompatible system or one that does not offer the capability or it's a bug in an update? This of course is all just conjecture.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2013 09:52 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I went to Regal Hollywood 24 in Atlanta last night. They still have the movie names displayed in LEDs. The Perimeter POint location I was referring has non LED display signs. Maybe it's cheaper to not print out signs? THey just have a generic "Digital Presentation" sign out side each auditorium.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 11:32 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooooooohhhh.......... I say laziness then.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-15-2013 11:43 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they sandwich board signs with individual letters or are they mylars?

If they are mylars, either they can't get them in the right size or somebody isn't ordering them.

If they are sandwich board signs, it's a good bet somebody is too lazy to change the signs. If movies switch auditoriums a lot, it's probably the case.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 12:43 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
Actually I went to Regal Hollywood 24 in Atlanta last night. They still have the movie names displayed in LEDs. The Perimeter POint location I was referring has non LED display signs. Maybe it's cheaper to not print out signs? THey just have a generic "Digital Presentation" sign out side each auditorium.
The cost of those mylars adds up. To the point where it takes a lot less time than you'd think to pay for an LED or LCD sign system with the savings of not having to order mylars every week.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 03:24 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ones at Perimeter Point look like mylar signs. THose generic signs came in handy for them as they canceled a showing of Hangover 3 in the last minute(an hour to be more precise) last night to fit an extra showing of Superman. The lady at the box office seemed like an assistant manager but did not even offer me a free ticket to what ended up being the Purge. So I talked to the manager inside and he gave me a free readmission ticket(with restrictions). So they didnt have to change any signs.

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 07:12 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably economics... the local Regal built a new fourteen screener a couple years ago. They have cut staff so much that they only man the boxoffice in the evening when there are several customers, otherwise they send you to the floor manager's desk to get your ticket and there is no boxoffice person. The concession personnel often check the houses too in absence of any one else to do it. I'm not sure who cleans because there is noticeably no ticket checker or anyone else waiting around to do the job. It would appear there is only a skeleton crew unless it's weekend and evening. Of course, to report on the original theme of this particular thread... they have LED readouts at each house that correspond with the LED sign at the boxoffice. They're running all Sony over/under digitals, but some xenons were under rated and the pictures are dark.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2013 12:45 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the non IMAX big screens I have been to are underlit for 2 D presentations. So these days, I actually dont mind if I get a smaller screen because most of them seem to be lit better. At least at the 2 Regals I have been too.

And the Regals are not being cleaned lately. People are pigs too. HOw tough is it for a customer to take their popcorn bag and drinks and dump them in the garbage outside. THis way, the people can just clean the stuff that spills.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2013 02:12 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's due to cost. I actually saw the e-mail about it today.

Pravin- I'm curious to know what kind of readmission ticket you got... we only have 3D and regular re-admits, neither of which are restricted except for 2D and 3D.

And on the staffing issue... It is so strict, you have no idea. Skeleton crew is putting it lightly.....

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-16-2013 03:50 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it's now easy to to have multiple showings of one feature in numerous houses along with other features in these same houses with digital, to where it's just plain common sense not to hassle with all the title changes on these hall marquees and just put up a generic indicator on these marquees.

The Doorperson has to relay to the patron on where and what feature is playing along with guiding the patron to definitely look on the received ticket of the house number.

Isn't digital fun ?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion this shows a lack of showmanship or care for the impression the patrons are receiving.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2013 03:57 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when has Regal cared about either of those? [Big Grin]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buck, maybe my mistake on the readmission. I may have misinterpreted "no special events" as "no special engagements".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: