Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Animation sequel smackdown: Monsters University vs. Despicable Me 2

Author Topic: Animation sequel smackdown: Monsters University vs. Despicable Me 2
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-11-2013 09:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this year we did something I thought would never happen: we gave booking priority (for our single screen) to a Universal animated film over a Disney/Pixar one.

Our booker saw "Monsters University" at CinemaCon and said it was "OK, pretty good, definitely playable" which to me is pretty much a BAD review for a Pixar movie. Also, virtually everybody on the planet including me seems to love the original Despicable Me (especially the Minions) and it's also got the cute-little-girls factor to bring in the little princesses and their moms.

We did a poll among our teenage employees (8 girls, 2 boys) and every one of them picked DM2 over MU.

I wonder if the "party in college" theme of MU might not misfire with moms'n'dads in this ultra-conservative-parents atmosphere we are living in.

In short, MU looks like a pretty good movie but not a runaway, but DM2 seems like it's poised to blast it out of the park. Hope I'm right.

To those who ask "why didn't we just play both movies on the break?" the answer is, Disney undoubtedly will not take a 12-day booking on MU and Universal has already said they won't allow a July 5 opening on DM2, so it was one or the other.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-11-2013 11:11 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, remember that Despicable Me was released much more recently than Monsters, Inc. And while a kid's animated movie can appeal to all ages like both of those movies did, having the sequel appear when most of the kids that liked it are still kids is an edge.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-12-2013 08:52 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this should make you feel better:
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/despicable-me-2-storms-annecy-film-festival-1200496266/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailyheadlines

Despicable Me 2′ Gets Standing O at Annecy Fest

ANNECY – The crowd roared with applause as “Despicable Me 2’s” end credits rolled at its first sneak preview anywhere in the world, which took place Wednesday night at France’s Annecy Festival.

Directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud and Illumination’s Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy then received a Cannes-like, minutes-long standing ovation.

You might expect that, of course. “Despicable Me 2” was largely animated out of Illumination MacGuff, whose headquarters are in Paris. Made up mainly of French animation school students, a considerable part of the audience will know people who worked on “Despicable Me 2.” But such raucous enthusiasm is still rare at Annecy, even from its toon fanboy hardcores.

And first reactions matter as Universal has so much riding on “Despicable Me 2,” not only in worldwide box office but huge M & L potential.

Among best loved moment for the Annecy crowd at least were two Minions song renditions. The Minions seem to have gained as well in occasionally intelligible vocab. Food- helado, tikki masala – seems much on a Minion’s mind.

“If you listen carefully, there’s a lot of food mentioned from different culture,” by the Minions, Renaud advised Variety.

To say more would be spoiling. “Despicable Me 2” opens July 3 in the U.S.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2013 10:31 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like many theaters only had to take MU for 12 days. Including Vue & Brew near you.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2013 11:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They would have taken 12 days if we played it into Lone Ranger but we decided to go with Despicable Me 2 so they might not have been so cooperative.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: