Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 3D Scamming

Author Topic: 3D Scamming
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-11-2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend got back from a trip and told me this, and I have no way of confirming if it really happened this way, but I can see teenagers with bad supervision giving it a try.

They were traveling back to Montgomery from SC and stopped overnight in a small town in GA. Decided to go see The Great Gatsby. It was only playing in 3D, but they were bored and decided to see it anyway. They paid the up charge, got the glasses, and started to watch the movie. The picture was so dark they took off their glasses to see what was wrong, and then realized it was not in 3D. They didn't go and complain, so I have no clue as to what really happened. But has anybody heard of a theatre, probably in the later part of a run, hitting customers for the up charge but not show it in 3D? I can imagine the kids trying to get away with it (like palming tickets). I can't imagine them getting away with it for long.

As I can't confirm it, I won't name the theatre, other than it is a southern chain with a bad reputation anyway.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-11-2013 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ten to one the theater showed the 2-D version by accident.

This happened to us once. After a film had been running for a couple of days, I mistakenly deleted the 3D playlist when cleaning out some old playlists from the server. When I rebuilt the list, I accidentally used the 2D version of the movie. The next show, I didn't check it with glasses when the show started because the movie had been playing fine all weekend.

The amazing thing is, NOBODY COMPLAINED UNTIL HALFWAY THROUGH THE MOVIE, and even then only one person came up and said something.

We gave out passes to everybody at the end of the movie, and at least a quarter of the people made comments such as "It looked great to me," "I thought it WAS 3D," and such. Virtually nobody was upset or mad that they hadn't seen the 3D version.

So. Highly doubtful this was a "scam," more likely just a mistake. There's no extra cost to run a movie in 3D except for the glasses -- so the theater would have nothing to gain from such a thing, even if they wanted to.

The patron should have said something -- although, who knows if the popcorn pusher on duty would have been able to do anything about the presentation.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mike. Sometimes it's accidental.

I want to tell a story regarding this:

Back when "Avatar" opened, we ran it in 3-D exclusively for a short period of time. A few weeks later, we got in in 2-D. So we were playing in both at some point. We rang up tickets correctly and charged correctly for both features.

At one point I was speaking to my box cashier and a lady walked up to the box office and said that she never received her 3-D glasses. The cashier handed a pair to her. The lady walked away. The cashier then said that she swore that the lady was seeing the 2-D "Avatar", as it started later than the 3-D one.

Curious, I walked back to the auditorium that was playing the 35mm 2-D print of "Avatar". There were about 100 people sitting in there watching the movie with 3-D glasses on. I kid you not. It was at that point that I realized that 3-D was a joke.

You may ask how all those people got those 3-D glasses for a 2-D feature. Well, some of them went to the box office and asked for them. But most of them dug them out of the 3-D recycling box located down the hallway (outside the auditorium playing the 3-D feature).

True Story.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2013 08:56 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis... same type of thing happens at my drive-in quite regularly. We're digital - but 2D only. I've gone through walks on the field during the shows and have seen many families sitting in lawn chairs or on blankets with "Real D" glasses on they brought in with them, and some will compliment me on how good the 3D looks at the drive-in. I just look at them and say, "Glad you're enjoying it". What else can you say?

Like you said... True story.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2013 01:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This proves there is no need for 3D. Let's just stop with the whole thing and start advertising "glasses-free 3D". That way it doesn't ruin the presentation for those who hate 3D. [Razz]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2013 02:41 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I used to build the shows for 3D, I'd include as much 3D stuff as I could. If there was 2D content, it played first, and then a 3D presentation logo would play before the 3D trailers, and then again before the feature.

I'm sure the theatre just started the wrong version of the movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2013 02:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
This proves there is no need for 3D. Let's just stop with the whole thing and start advertising "glasses-free 3D". That way it doesn't ruin the presentation for those who hate 3D.
Well you have to break down the typical crowd experiencing a "problem" in their presentation.

30%: People who realize there's a problem but think they would "make a scene" if they say anything

20%: Kids who don't know any better

5%: Teenage girls who would "feel stupid" if they have to actually talk to someone outside of their group of friends

10%: People who know something's wrong but decide to just live with it

20%: People who are upset, would make a complaint but figure somebody else will do it

10%: People who know SOMETHING isn't quite right but just can't put their finger on what the problem is

3%: People who will actually say something to management

2%: Idiots who think any movie will be in 3-D simply because they put glasses on

I will agree that the last group is probably larger in some places.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-13-2013 05:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
How many people just added up those numbers to see if they really totaled 100%? [Big Grin]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-13-2013 06:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
3%: People who will actually say something to management
Looks like I'm part of a minority [Razz] . Problem is, often management is part one of those minorities:

- 20%: Kids who don't know any better
- 2%: Idiots who think any movie will be in 3-D simply because they put glasses on

I've once seen a movie in "inverted 3D" (left and right got mixed up), "management" wasn't convinced anything was wrong, but after repeated requests pushed some buttons that, unfortunately didn't fix it...

Frank B. McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2013 11:44 AM      Profile for Frank B. McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Frank B. McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then there is the unknown percentage who won't return.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-14-2013 09:16 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank B. McLaughlin
And then there is the unknown percentage who won't return.
Good point. Except, since there's no "3D standard", nobody really knows what to expect when they go in to watch for the first time.

Will the 3D be used for artistic effect, or will you get hit with the schlocky swords & ping-pong balls?

Is the projector putting out enough light to return 14fL? 16? 10?

How wide is the stereo field? How wide should it be? Major side-to-side effects, or an enveloping room-full of sound? Equalization really spot-on? Given varying production values, if you didn't watch the same show in different rooms, how would you know there was a difference to indicate one room might be off?

If you don't know in advance what you should expect to see or hear, your brain will probably accept the experience you get as what was intended... unless something is grossly out of whack.

Yes, yes... the playback environment should be as perfect as technically possible. I'm not excusing laziness... just that the average Joe isn't as discriminating as some here.

Interesting read about 3D glasses at Barry's drive-in. I haven't seen that at my place... yet.

Now... if I see someone in the field with Anaglyphs... [Roll Eyes]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2013 09:35 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone using Pulfrich system glasses would probably get some 3D benefit from any movie, especially one with lots of horizontal movement. This system was used for a Super Bowl back in the '80's and a fairly well done episode of THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN. It isn't real 3D, but it can be effective if the photography is well planned.

Pulfrich 3D WIkipedia Page

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: