Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Long Time Drive In Closed, Two Others doing Well

Author Topic: Long Time Drive In Closed, Two Others doing Well
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-11-2013 03:07 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fork Union Drive In located in the Virginia town of the same name Seems to have gone by the wayside. Story goes that the owner died early last season and his daughter continued the operation until all bookings were done and closed.

Good news is that the Goochland Drive In continues with first run and digital projection and apparently doing well. Location is at the Hadensville exit on I64 about 30 miles west of Richmond.

Also the Keysville Drive In about 30 miles west of Richmond on US360 Continues with first run fare.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2013 02:39 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to hear that about the Fork Union. It was one of the most immaculately well-manicured drive-ins I'd ever seen. Neat set up with the parking rows stepped up the side of a hill, sloping down to a low bowl-shaped area, and the screen was on the opposite end up on a little hill. Never got to see a movie there, but did get to visit it once.

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2013 05:38 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Starlite D-I is still going strong in Christiansburg, Va. Rumor is the theater was purchased by auto dealer Shelor Motor Mile, who also owns the local circle race track and drag strip. They went digital last season and even extended the season a couple months. Prior to it's sell, the Starlite was operated by an elderly owner, just as the case was with Fort Union. It's sad to see these entertainment giants go under. Thanks daylight savings time!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: