Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Not your everyday movie theatre

Author Topic: Not your everyday movie theatre
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-26-2013 08:58 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Vienna-based Delugan Meissl Associated Architects is expert at devising buildings that appear to be in motion; their best-known, the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany, looks like it could leave a sports car in the dust. Which explains the excitement surrounding their latest project, the newly opened Eye Film Institute (shown) in Amsterdam. An aerodynamic structure that would stand out anywhere, the motion-picture museum is a particular sensation in this city of stolid brick buildings. According to partner Dietmar Feistel, the goal of the design—which nods to the charged compositions of Zaha Hadid and Austria’s most influential firm, Coop Himmelb(l)au—wasn’t to achieve a specific form so much as a feeling, as he puts it, “of being suspended between the real world and the world of cinema.” Thanks to the Eye’s glass-enclosed main floor, says Feistel, “you can spend time after a screening in an environment where you don’t have to confront the harsh realities of life.” eyefilm.nl

Picture at:
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/blogs/daily/2012/05/eye-film-institute-amsterdam

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-28-2013 11:39 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Hold on, all you folks in wheelchairs...it's gonna be a BUMPY ride!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2013 01:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just because I am an old fuddy duddy but that thing doesn't remind me in the least of "the world of cinema."

On the contrary, it reminds me of somebody dropping the original model of the building on the floor and breaking it, then putting it back together incorrectly.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-29-2013 01:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, see...you get it. You get the "poetry." Like they said, it's supposed to look like moooovement. And you pinned it -- it looks like he dropped the model on the floor.

I'm a bit more cynical...to me it just looks like architects on crack.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2013 05:47 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a theater but not your every day municipal building -- Edinburgh, Scotland. Looks like a file cabinet.

-

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2013 07:37 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,
Looks like alot of the special venue theaters I've done. Cool looking inside and out! For 45 minutes you're immersed in your own world

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-29-2013 12:10 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's someone's top ten, which includes classics like the Fox in Tampa, Fl, and a real whack one in S. Korea

http://www.thecredits.org/2013/05/ten-of-the-worlds-best-movie-theaters/

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2013 03:32 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first glance at the picture I was reminded of the first venue where I properly ran 35mm, a university lecture theatre opened in 1970 (Google streetview).

This has a two level glass foyer with the auditorium, and tiny stage, overhanging the rest of the building.

Having found some more information on the building it is a multi-screen complex.

-

Cinemas and theatres require large windowless spaces, it can be difficult to minimise their visual impact.

quote: Rick Raskin
Not a theater but not your every day municipal building -- Edinburgh, Scotland. Looks like a file cabinet.
In the hundreds of times I have seen that building I have never thought it looks like a filing cabinet. I think it fits into the city well. (Google streetview)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-29-2013 04:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing it's aerodynamic. Many patrons refuse to go to non-flying movie theatres.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2013 08:28 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paris, France:
MK2 Quai de Loire and MK2 Quai de Seine are two cinema buildings with six screens each. MK2 operates a ferry boat between the two cinemas since they share a boxoffice.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2013 12:25 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of the giant sand-crawler the Jawas drove around Tattooine on SW Ep IV .

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does look like the Sand Crawler.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: