Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal Announces Admission Prices To Rise 3% to 4% (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal Announces Admission Prices To Rise 3% to 4%
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2013 01:33 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Press Release

quote: Deadline.com

CEO Amy Miles seems confident that consumers will continue to flock to theaters, even with the higher admission costs. “Sometimes we joke and say we are an industry that has been dying for the past 50 years,” she told investors today at Barclays Global Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference. But “as long as we continue to provide that great, affordable out-of-home experience…people are going to continue to go to the movies.” What’s “affordable” is in the eye of the beholder: Regal CFO David Ownby told the group that his company’s ticket prices for 2D movies “will go up in that 3% to 4% range” that’s been the pattern over the last few years. He notes that for IMAX movies Regal adds as much as $6.50 to the price of the basic 2D ticket. The chain’s own RPX large-screen venues have as much as a $5.00 upcharge while regular 3D films cost about $3.50 more than conventional 2D. This year’s potential blockbusters should help the cause.“When you start with Iron Man 3 a couple of weekends ago and you just look at the film slate over the balance of the summer, it’s hard not to get excited about what’s to come,” Miles says. “And it doesn’t stop when the summer” is over. Indeed, Ownby says that for the end of 2013 “we again have a film slate that I think stacks up pretty well” against the strong releases from the last quarter of 2012. On other matters the execs said that they continue to see opportunities to acquire theaters. And they’ve yet to see a significant change at AMC Entertainment since last year when it was acquired by China’s Wanda Group. “We’re partnered a lot with AMC, and we have a lot of ventures where we work together and we can say from that perspective it seems to us that it’s business as usual,” Miles says.

To a certain point, they are correct, people will pay whatever they need to if they want to see it badly enough. What they seem to be missing is people will skip going out for those films that they might like to have seen, but not a must see.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-23-2013 05:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the big deal? 3-4% is what ... 25-50 cents on a regular admission?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-23-2013 06:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never can understand why every other thing on the earth is allowed to increase in price and not make headlines, but if movie tickets go up ... HOLY CRAP THE SKY IS FALLING I WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE ANY MORE MOVIES IF THIS KEEPS UP!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-23-2013 06:28 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam's right on the calculation. The Reg down the street from me has $11 evening price and 3 and 4% would lead to an increase of $0.33 and $0.44, which either way would be rounded to $0.50 to make the box office easier to manage...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-23-2013 11:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal will raise the prices and every other chain will follow. This really isn't news as it's been happening in the industry a lot over the last 15 years or so. I would love to see a ticket price of $11.46 or something like that. I would love seeing the box office cashiers deal with pennies. It would be worth the extra cost. And you just KNOW that when they make change they'll hand you the bills first and put the coins on top of the bills which ensures they slide down to the ground.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-24-2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...do you mean like the computer industry where things tend to get cheaper with time (in both real costs as well as dollar amount for essentially the same item or one that is even more capable)?

One reason movie theatres are targeted is that they are typically held up as the "cheap entertainment". They are used as that bottom bar of going out.

An issue with theatre is that they really do have to compete with the home. Like it or not, people now really do look at movies as ones that will see in theatres and others will be "wait until home video." As movie ticket prices go up, the threshold for seeing in the theatre gets higher.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2013 11:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, you got me on computer related stuff. Although there are certain aspects of THAT world that are ridiculously priced (if you do the math on printer ink, for one example, it hovers around $3500 a gallon) and you never see any hand-wringing headlines about that.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-24-2013 09:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I don't know of anyone that things toner/ink prices are reasonable (nor are replacement batteries for drills and such). Hence there is a huge market for after-market ink, toner, batteries.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-24-2013 09:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can even go far as Campbell's Chicken Noodle and Chunky Soups in general ... the cost per pound of the meat per each can - serious profit margin here for Campbells.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-25-2013 05:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about P-touch replacement cassettes?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-25-2013 10:04 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe--as a customer, I would hate that. Actually, if I owned a theatre, I would set prices to end in $.50 so that I could give change in half-dollars. Or set them so that I could easily give change in $2 bills. It sounds stupid, but customers eat that stuff up and remember business that do that sort of thing.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2013 11:48 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about the computer/electronics industry is that as integrated circuit technology progresses, the components on the silicon wafers get smaller and the yield goes up. Therefore, the cost to produce the ICs keeps going down.

In most other industries (including movie theatres), costs to provide products and services go up over time. Don't forget, most (if not all) leases have rent increases over time and for certain the the taxes and CAM charge share of the lease goes up every year. Also, payroll cost continues to increase somewhat as well.

Unless the studios lowered the film rental percentage (which is about as likely as me discovering cold fusion tomorrow) theatres will have to increase ticket costs slightly over time.

10 years ago, if I went to a casual dining (Fridays, Olive Garden) restaurant with my wife, our meal including tip would always be about $30. Now it ends up $36 or so. That's around 2% a year increase.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-25-2013 12:55 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my prices, including sales tax, end up in even fifty-cent or dollar amounts. My prices are posted as "sales taxes included", as well.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-25-2013 08:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I would set prices to end in $.50 so that I could give change in half-dollars. Or set them so that I could easily give change in $2 bills. It sounds stupid, but customers eat that stuff up and remember business that do that sort of thing.
That's for sure. We have an antique change holder that has a slot for 50 cent coins so we give them for change. People LOVE it. I think we're the only business in town that uses them.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-25-2013 11:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do other businesses in your town accept them? I imagine you might get the occasional customer who flips out because he thinks he can't spend them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: