Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Disney flexing its muscles by raising film rentals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Disney flexing its muscles by raising film rentals
Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2013 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new scale starts with Iron Man 3 for the small fish. I am even hearing stories of really low holdovers like $800.

The old scale (or one used pretty recently) has a bottom of 45% if a film only did $12.5 million or less. Top rate was 62% over $400m.

New bottom is 50%, new top is 64% and starts at $350m.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/breaking-iron-man-3-tickets-not-sale-yet-131226015.html

BREAKING: ‘Iron Man 3′ Tickets Not On Sale Yet By Some Theater Chains Because Of Dispute With Disney: Movie Due May 3rd
By NIKKI FINKE, Editor in Chief | Deadline.com

BREAKING: ‘Iron Man 3′ Tickets Not On Sale Yet By Some Theater Chains Because Of …
7:30 AM UPDATE: My sources say Regal, Carmike, and as I previously reported AMC are among those big movie chains holding out.

BREAKING… 6 AM EXCLUSIVE: CinemaCon underway now in Las Vegas gives the impression that the Hollywood studios are buddy-buddy with the movie exhibitors. But there’s a frenemies drama unfolding there. I’ve learned that a number of movie theater circuits are refusing to put tickets on sale for Iron Man 3 even though its one of this summer’s most anticipated hits when it opens May 3rd. That’s because Disney decided to leverage the film in order to renegotiate the studio’s future terms with the chains beginning with this humongous Marvel blockbuster. I’m told that AMC, one of America’s largest exhibitors, is among those holding out even though the Robert Downey Jr movie opens wide in North America in just 17 days. Some chains were selling advance tickets — and then stopped. Distributors tell me Disney hasn’t negotiated its terms with the movie chains in several years — not even for Summer 2012′s huge tentpole The Avengers — so the studio thinks it’s due for a new overall deal on future Disney titles. Those include not just Marvel sequels but also Lucasfilm’s new Star Wars series as well as Pixar toons. That’s why the studio right now in Las Vegas is bargaining with the exhibition community, some of whose chains are pushing back. The result is an impasse with a number of circuits refusing to put IM3 tickets on sale until there is an accord. Ticket presales are increasingly important to blockbuster opening weekends. (Interestingly, AMC held Marvel movie marathons as part of the Disney hype machine before that pic opened. And it has scheduled Iron Man marathons for May 2nd.) My sources among distributors and exhibitors expect a fast resolution to this impasse “because these things always get worked out” especially with the clock ticking. Indeed it’s not unusual for Hollywood studios to renegotiate their terms on the eve of the release of a hot movie. And it doesn’t get much hotter than Iron Man 3 which is projected to earn a staggering $125+ million during it’s 3-day non-holiday weekend.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-16-2013 09:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. Disney knows they've got us by the balls. Like some chain is going to not play the biggest movie of the summer?? Come on.

I guess we're just lucky they don't want that dreaded 90% that you keep reading about in the paper. [Wink]

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2013 08:38 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the old scale was reasonable. My main problem with them and I would imagine for you to is the same rental split for weeks 1-3 as week 5 if you are a move-over theater.

The holdover number is a killer. Honestly any studio should be happy with three weeks and they are the only studio that has done this. Since they have 2 kid movies later in the summer, they will be pushing other movies off screen that are doing well at 3 weeks too.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2013 11:14 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT film rentals? Aren't they mostly digital now? [Razz]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2013 11:01 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll always be called "films" Jesse. And Mike, as I posted on another thread some time ago if a Disney filmed earned more than a grand the week I ran it Disney charged me 90%. That ridiculous agreement was set before I ever took over the theatre.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-18-2013 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
And Mike, as I posted on another thread some time ago if a Disney filmed earned more than a grand the week I ran it Disney charged me 90%. That ridiculous agreement was set before I ever took over the theatre.
I sure would like to see the paperwork on that. I've never heard of ANYBODY ever paying 90%of the gross. 90% of the gross after the house allowance is deducted, yes. But if your house was actually paying 90% of the full gross...boy, did somebody see them coming.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2013 08:34 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I sure would like to see the paperwork on that. I've never heard of ANYBODY ever paying 90%of the gross. 90% of the gross after the house allowance is deducted, yes. But if your house was actually paying 90% of the full gross...boy, did somebody see them coming.
Mike, Bob was managing a $1 house then. Disney has never been for free movies or $1 movies for the most part. I agree his situation was unique.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2013 10:14 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Mike it was, and still is, a .99cent house.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-19-2013 02:29 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. Disney knows they've got us by the balls
Only because exhibition has none. NATO can easily get one or two chains to simply say, "Yeah? And we don't play any picture with those terms. Period." ...and then STICK by it. Without even one big chain's screens to play IRON MAN 2 on, there will be no $400 million or even $12.5 million; and The Rodent will have to rely on what it can eek out of PPV, hotel and cable rentals then DVD sales. Good luck with that. And of course, with a paultry theatrical release, there will be very little demand at any of those outlets -- they can shove IRON MAN 3 back into the famous "vault" and see what their tax guys can write off as a total loss.

It's the exhibitors/NATO that have the studios/MPAA by the balls...they are just too stupid to realize it cause they have no idea what real balls are! Wusses always get pushed around.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-19-2013 03:52 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. Disney knows they've got us by the balls. Like some chain is going to not play the biggest movie of the summer?? Come on.

It's not unprecedented, Mike, though it doesn't happen often.

Years ago, Paramount got into a percentages snit with one of the chains. The result was Crocodile Dundee playing first run in our local dollar houses.

It happened again with one of the early Star Wars pictures. If I recall, Regal was involved in that one. It didn't play the first-run houses, and once again, the sub-runners made out like bandits. You wouldn't think a chain would pass up on an obvious hit, but they've certainly done it.

One owner tried very hard to get a friend of mine to buy his theatre, suggesting he was now a first-run house. Of course, once the chains & the studios made up, it was back to sub-runs and empty seats.

Bob , you might recall the "Charleston Cinema" being involved in this.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-19-2013 03:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[quote]"Yeah? And we don't play any picture with those terms. Period." ...and then STICK by it. [quote]

That's not as easy as it sounds. If this was "The Odd Life of TImothy Green" it would be one thing, but we're talking about what's probably the biggest movie of the summer if not the whole year. Even I, with one screen, would have a hard time skipping over that movie. The fans would all of a sudden be leery that we "might not play" the next blockbuster.

Even a single multiplex with 20 or more screens would take a gigantic financial hit that they might not be able to afford, especially when considering the risk of losing customers (sometimes permanently) to competition.

The only way the "plan" would work is if ALL the exhibitors got together and said "no," and you know in today's competitive market that's never going to happen.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-19-2013 03:56 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way the "plan" would work is if ALL the exhibitors got together and said "no," and you know in today's competitive market that's never going to happen.
True, but losing a chain the size of a Regal or an AMC has got to hurt enough to get someone's attention.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2013 10:41 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
It's the exhibitors/NATO that have the studios/MPAA by the balls...they are just too stupid to realize it cause they have no idea what real balls are! Wusses always get pushed around.
Based on my experience with the old VSDA (Video Rental Stores), an association can not spearhead a boycott. Even the chains can't call each other up and say "Hey let's skip this movie".

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 08:22 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Won't work. Studios would just jump directly to on demand/cable, which is the way they are headed anyway. Besides, as someone once said: "Lunatics never unite."

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Frese
Based on my experience with the old VSDA (Video Rental Stores), an association can not spearhead a boycott. Even the chains can't call each other up and say "Hey let's skip this movie".

Well, that might be true in theory, but the MPAA sure seems to have figured out a way to avoid that problem -- ever read the Master Contracts from the studios? Funny how every one of them reads like a carbon copy of the other guy's. Funny how the way the rate structures and percentages are figured, it's as if you are booking from the same company; they are basically identical no matter what the studio. Besides, no need to call it a boycott, because you don't apply it to a specific title from a specific studio -- that MAYBE construed as conspiracy; the trick is to agree in general not to book ANY title from ANY studio that reaches that threshold of percentage/terms that all agree are unacceptable. Agree on that and you are not boycotting, you are just doing what the studios do -- setting contract paramaters that are acceptable to your business model. THEY all have the same business model, exhibitors can as well. The question is, who needs who more; which studios will break away from the MPAA trust and meet the terms demands of the exhibitors in order to have an outlet for their product. With the MPAA trust hold or will NATO? It's who's got the bigger set. Who will blink? All you need is one or possibly two of the big three to drop refuse to play at terms that they find unacceptable and the grosses for that title will be in the toilet. A distributor is not blind, and in today's production model, you have multiple entities invested in a title; they all understand the kind of money a theatrical run brings in -- they are like stockholders; none of them will let distributor risk not having their title play in theatres for want of a few percentage points. An animic theatrical run would decimate their profits. Plus you still have the Paramount Concent Decrees -- what are left of them or their enforcement -- which say that each title has to be treated separately from other from the same studio; in other words, you a distributor can't withhold Title B because an exibitor refused to play Title A. This is a decided protection if a chain or two decides they won't book, say, IRON MAN n

As for by-passing the theatres and selling product direct to video...as I said, good luck with that. Without the excitement of a theatrical opening and at least some big screen play, there will be very little excitement on the part of the majority of the public to see a blockbuster on an iphone or a tv set. If there is no theatrical run, all they have is a made-for-tv-movie, and we know how little money those brough in. We know that because the studios don't even bother making them any more. Or what they have is a Direct-to-DVD movie. Some producers do that....and you never even hear the name of those titles, much less hear about them making millions in rental grosses.

But why won't this ever happen? Louis said it best -- Lunatics Never Unite.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: