Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Shining Booking (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Shining Booking
Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2013 03:32 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about booking the Shining either the week of or the week before we open Room 237 in May. Does anyone know who does the booking for this title? I know WB made it, but do they have a repertory branch to contact?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-01-2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sue Strauss Senior Sales Assistant Warner Bros. Pictures Domestic Distribution-Atlanta & New Orleans * 818.977.1820 - * Susan.Strauss@warnerbros.com

Not sure who handles your territory, but she can tell you.

Marilee Womack <Marilee.Womack@warnerbros.com> is the lead booker, but she is usually not really quick to respond.

Warners is very stingy with prints, and will probably say it is only available on DVD.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2013 03:47 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Shining is available as a DCP.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2013 06:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...but they'll probably charge you around $50 to $100 more for a DCP than they would for running a Blu-Ray.

Sad but true...all of our Christmas matinees last year were on Blu-Rays.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2013 06:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What's always burned me on that is when they expect you to go out and buy the bluray. If you are paying licensing, they should ship you a bluray without all of the "home video", forced previews and nonsense on it to play and then return.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-01-2013 07:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DCP has sync issues and a remixed multichannel soundtrack (the original mix is mono). It has also been heavily de-grained Get the print.

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2013 09:45 AM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. The film-tech community is the best!

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2013 02:55 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
What's always burned me on that is when they expect you to go out and buy the bluray. If you are paying licensing, they should ship you a bluray without all of the "home video", forced previews and nonsense on it to play and then return.
That's it? How about the fact that they charge a MANDATORY 35%?? It's not even a "vs. 35%" clause. I don't see WB paying for MY advertising... why should I give them a percentage of anything, especially something they made back their money on over thirty years ago?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2013 10:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
You could always rip it to rid yourself of that crap, but something tells me WB would be even MORE upset.

Any person at the studio who allows/forces a cinema to run an off the shelf Blu-ray without being able to skip warning, previews, etc. shouldn't be allowed to run the studio anymore. They should be taken out back and shot.

AJG

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-02-2013 10:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Theakston
why should I give them a percentage of anything, especially something they made back their money on over thirty years ago?
For the same reason you can own a 30-year-old house, which you paid off years ago, but still charge rent on it.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2013 07:16 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Theakston
Why should I give them a percentage of anything, especially something they made back their money on over thirty years ago?
Because they own the copyright for the movie, and you don't.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-03-2013 08:45 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is "mandatory 35%"? The Warner repertory titles that I have been booking recently have been $250-450 vs. 35%, which seems reasonable, although they whack the theatre on shipping (DHL usually charges about $200 per print round trip to the east coast).

What I don't really understand is why late-run current titles from some distributors can be had at flat rates, but they want the boxoffice percentage for repertory titles.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-03-2013 10:57 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
Any person at the studio who allows/forces a cinema to run an off the shelf Blu-ray without being able to skip warning, previews, etc. shouldn't be allowed to run the studio anymore. They should be taken out back and shot.

Actually, they specifically tell you to skip all of the warnings,etc and that you are not allowed to use or show the "bonus" features.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2013 11:29 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
What is "mandatory 35%"? The Warner repertory titles that I have been booking recently have been $250-450 vs. 35%, which seems reasonable, although they whack the theatre on shipping (DHL usually charges about $200 per print round trip to the east coast).
She's been charging us PLUS 35%, not VS. Am I being ripped off here? Not that it matters—we're avoiding dealing with them. Which probably won't matter, because they act like they're phasing out repertory, anyway.

quote: Mike Blakesley
For the same reason you can own a 30-year-old house, which you paid off years ago, but still charge rent on it.
Do landlords charge rent PLUS a percentage of what your income is?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-03-2013 01:27 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've always done vs 35%, though looking at a recent confirmation it says 35%-$250, not vs.

And yes, I've known of theatres whose lease was based on yearly gross income. They would start booking known bombs if they were too close to going over the specified amount.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: