Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » December 25th riot at the Edge 12 in Birmingham AL.

Author Topic: December 25th riot at the Edge 12 in Birmingham AL.
Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 06:58 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/12/rowdy_christmas_day_crowd_forc.html

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- A crowd of young people -- possibly drawn though social media -- interrupted the movies at The Edge 12 Movie Theater and were disruptive outside in the parking lot of Festival Shopping Center on Crestwood Boulevard Sunday night.
About 400 people were involved, with 200 of them really disruptive, Birmingham Police East Precinct commander Capt. Allen Hatcher said Tuesday, based on reports he got from the off-duty Birmingham police officer who worked security at the theater that night.
Movie-goer Shannon Webster, pastor of First Presbyterian Church downtown, said he counted 18 police cars when he and his family were told to leave the theater, part-way through seeing "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows."
"I was surprised," he said. "I did not expect to see that on Christmas night, going out to the movies."
Hatcher said that a large group of youths had showed up in the theater and the parking lot Sunday and started to cause problems and disruptions. When theater management confronted them, they grew more disruptive and management shut all the movies down.
Hatcher said some youths out in the parking lot banged on windows of nearby businesses, pushed some shopping carts into the parking lot, and went inside a Chinese restaurant. The off-duty officer put out a call, and police responded with a large contingent.
No one, to his knowledge, Hatcher said, was hurt or arrested, but a window was damaged at the Radio Shack store. The off-duty officer said that youths had heard on Facebook there was going to be a fight.
Hatcher said he recalled Trussville having a similar social media mob at a movie theater more than a year ago.
Webster said he had arrived at the Edge 12 about 7 with his wife and two adult children. When he arrived, there were "a lot of really young kids were crowded inside, milling around."
During the movie, some came into the theater and started making noise, but one of the other movie-goers ordered them out in a commanding voice, Webster said.
"There were hundreds of kids in the lobby," he said.
Webster saw security guards handcuffing several. He thought the crowd of youths ranged in age from 13 to their early 20s.
The outside scene seemed tense, said Webster, who has done church work in places such as the Gaza Strip, Northern Ireland, Cuba, Guatemala, and Communist Eastern Europe.
"Usually there is nothing going on there on Sunday afternoon," Hatcher said of the shopping center. "I believe social media made it a big event."

Efforts to reach the management of Edge 12 for comment were unsuccessful.

Webster said Sunday night was the only time he had ever felt unsafe there, and he plans to return to the movies.
"I don't want it to keep me from going back to the theater, because I think it's important for the neighborhood and for East Birmingham," said Webster, who lives in Crestwood. "We need them there, so I will continue to go there.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 09:59 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A horde of rowdy kids showed up, so the management's solution was to cancel all the movies for the paying customers?

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. I would have gotten a cop to help me, found the auditorium(s) where the trouble was taking place, shut down THAT movie temporarily until all the idiots were put outside, then started the movie again.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2011 11:04 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

There were 400 kids involved!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 11:59 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So? What did they accomplish by sending the people home? Making the parking lot more crowded and likely to have a fight break out?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-31-2011 04:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding. "Hey guys, we've got a ton of hooligans out in the parking lot!" "Better shut all of the movies down and send everybody home, then." "Yeah, that seems like the logical thing to do." "God damn we're smart." "We deserve a raise."

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 06:58 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't the cops turn fire hoses on the sorry bastards

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 10:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There were 400 kids involved!
According to the article the troublemakers were only in one auditorium. Even if they were in more than one, those shows could have been temporarily stopped and then restarted once the idiots were under control.

If young'uns are allowed to disrupt things in this way then it will just keep getting worse.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 11:10 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
Why don't the cops turn fire hoses on the sorry bastards
Fire hoses. Birmingham, Alabama. I don't think the cops want to got there, again.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2012 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quebec used to ban kids under 16 in cinemas* until 1967. Maybe Alabama should consider such regulations.

* Even for Disney's Swiss Family Robinson. I have the 1960 ad on record.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2012 10:29 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing this is the theatre that used to be the Festival 18 (built by Cobb originally and taken over by Regal on August 1, 1997)? That area of Birmingham has really changed in the last decade. Nearby Century Plaza Mall is now empty and closed and a lot of retail has fled that area.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Rivest
Quebec used to ban kids under 16 in cinemas
Wasn't that ban because of a fire that killed a lot of kids?

I was there in 1957 and could only go inside with an adult.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2012 06:58 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right:

Wikipedia:

The Roman Catholic Church seized upon the tragedy of the Laurier Palace Theatre as an opportunity to block children's access to the cinema in general, claiming that the cinema ruined the health of children, weakened their lungs, troubled their imagination, excited their nervous system, hindered their studies, overexcited their sinful ideas and led to immorality ("ruine la santé des enfants, affaiblit leurs poumons, affole leur imagination, excite leur système nerveux, nuit à leurs études, surexcite les désirs mauvais et conduit à l'immoralité").
A few months later Judge Louis Boyer recommended that everyone under 16 be forbidden access to cinema screenings. The following year, to appease extremists who wanted the cinema closed to all, such a law was passed[citation needed] and remained in effect for 33 years, until 1961. Building codes were also modified so that the doors of public buildings were required to open outwards.
In 1967 the cinema law was further modified, installing the Visa system, dividing movie-going populations into age groups of 18 and over, 14 and over, and general (for all). This change of law coincided with Expo 67 in Montreal, a time of rapid evolution of attitudes as the city began to open itself to the world.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=UW4tAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6osFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5875%2C1452859

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2012 07:54 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And drive-in were banned in Quebec until 1970. Supervision of teens were too difficult for the church.
Most drive-ins in Quebec opened 1970-1974.

Which is why there were so many drive-ins in Plattsburgh and Champlain, NY and northern Vermont.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: