Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What's the latest theatre to close or open you have heard about? (part 2) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: What's the latest theatre to close or open you have heard about? (part 2)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-06-2011 09:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Part 2

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 09-06-2011 10:52 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humber 1 and 2 opened

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 11:35 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Humber 1 and 2 opened
What does that mean? [Confused]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 01:06 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Page 1 of the new thread, and we have encountered the twin cinema of the mysteries.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 07:27 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Miracle 5 in Tallahassee closed August 14th 2011
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/19643

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Wilson 's post refers to the Humber 2 reopening in Toronto.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 06:11 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tom is excited by downstairs now being reopened, not just the smaller balcony part of the split. Amazing theatre!  -

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 11:32 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posting to get on this thread...and if I am ever in Toronto...Humber!

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 01:07 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I feel I will cry now!
This is identical to the Odeon in London Ontario which was demolished in 1988 to make way for a downtown mall which served to only kill the rest of our downtown before failing itself!

This was the theater which made me want to be a projectionist when I watched Jaws over and over in 1975 as 11 year old.The balcony became Odeon 2 but downstairs was intact with 2 sets of curtains and the booth was at the back with big windows pointing straight ahead to the screen.So you could watch the 4000 foot reels spinning and observe perfect changeovers!

Where did this photo come from?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-09-2011 03:09 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SOURCE: Wichita Eagle

quote:
Mitchell Theatres purchases former Lakeside Theatre in Woodward, Okla.

WICHITA — Mitchell Theatres has purchased another theater, this time in Woodward, Okla.

The ever-busy Brian Mitchell knows it’s a lot.

“I’ve got to get this done here pretty quick because we’ve got corn harvest coming,” he says.

The Mitchell family — which includes Brian Mitchell and his siblings Brent, a lawyer at Martin Pringle, and Kendra Ramsey, who lives in Texas — is a farming family that bought its first theater in Newton five years ago and has been steadily acquiring new theaters ever since.

Last month, the family bought Belton Cinema 8 in Belton, Mo., which made its seventh chain of theaters in the region.

The Woodward acquisition, which includes an expansion, means the family will have 58 screens.

The Woodward City Commission approved an $800,000 incentive package for the theater deal.

The Woodward theater is the former three-screen Lakeside Theatre.

Brian Mitchell says it appears to have been built in stages, with one screen across the lot from two other screens.

“It’s the craziest deal.”

The Mitchells’ plan is to open the single screen by the end of this month.

“Those people have not had movies since last April,” Mitchell says. “We’re going to catch them up on movies. . . . We’re just going to go through the whole big hits of the summer, and they are thrilled.”

The closest theater is about an hour away.

The family will renovate the other two screens and add four more, along with an arcade, party room and lobby.

When that’s complete, most likely by next summer, the single screen will close.

“Heck, we may have a restaurant come in,” Mitchell says of that space. “Who knows.”

The family continues to consider other theaters to purchase as well.

Mitchell says someone asked him what his long-range business plan is.

“I don’t know,” he said. “We’ll tell you after we get done, I guess.”

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 05:48 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Victor the photo of the Humber is one of many that comes from here...
web page

They are also repeated on the company website thats linked from the page.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2011 06:28 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cameron!

Yeah I found the web page earlier.When the London Ontario version of this theater was torn down the demolition company went bankrupt because it was built to last WW3!
This also happened at the bigger Odeon Carlton in Toronto!
Built like tanks!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2011 02:54 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not an opening or anything but Harkins Theatres is upgrading all screens to digital stating this past week. All screens will be upgraded by Thanksgiving if not before. The IMAX location will continue to be film.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-11-2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE: Odeon Humber,

Why does that gorgeous magnificent auditorium have an isle that runs down the center line on the screen?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2011 12:41 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The center isle was the one drawback but on the plus side it made getting to a near center seat very easy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: