Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Who has the rights to Ghibli movies now?

Author Topic: Who has the rights to Ghibli movies now?
Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2013 08:43 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know? Apparently Disney doesn't anymore. I'm hoping there is someone in the US who can give me rep licensing.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-26-2013 09:50 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gkids has 13 of them
http://www.gkids.tv/ghibli/
email me and I will send the contact name and phone#, though his email is posted on the site.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-27-2013 10:24 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Martin noted, GKIDS has the theatrical rights to most of the pre-2003 Studio Ghibli titles, plus the latest title, From Up on Poppy Hill, opening in NY and LA on 15 March and wider on 29 March. GKIDS is still booking their Studio Ghibli Retrospective tour packages around the US.

Over at the Ghibli Wiki we maintain a Screening Permission page showing current theatrical booking and home video rights.

The GKIDS booking contact is Dave Jesteadt, at dave@gkids.com

In Japan, the next two Ghibli films have been announced for simultaneous release this summer, Miyazaki's WWII story The Wind Rises and Takahata's take on the 10th century Japanese folk tale The Tale of Princess Kaguya.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2013 02:37 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, guys! I emailed someone at gkids. Maybe they'll have mercy?

(Once again I am amazed at this industry's lack of helpfulness. We are all being forced to go digital, but then they only license 35mm versions of the movie? How is that different for them from a Blu Ray?!? It makes no gotdamn sense!)

(Ok. I'm done now.)

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-27-2013 03:12 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's quite possible they don't have the DVD exhibition rights. It's a screwy industry.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-28-2013 10:17 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the GKIDS touring Ghibli package was started, new 35mm prints were struck, partly because that's the only format that Ghibli authorized for GKIDS. And maybe 35mm only because most of the screens that are interested in the package are art/foreign/rep/PAC places that still have 35mm capability? At least one of the titles is available as a DCP. I imagine more of them will become available in DCP over time now that the retrospective package bookings have mostly run their course.

As for blu-ray, some of the titles are available in Japan - only a couple are available in the US and Canada. Ghibli/Japan Disney have been rolling them out slowly - usually one current title and one or two catalog titles every six months or so during school breaks. The big titles like 1997's Princess Mononoke and 2001's Spirited Away have not been released anywhere yet. Disney has been even slower about releasing any of the Ghibli titles on BD here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: