Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What keeps you up at night? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What keeps you up at night?
Mike Hillyer
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2013 04:31 PM      Profile for Mike Hillyer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Hillyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys;

I've always been fascinated with theaters and their operations, how they work, how they get started, why they close, etc. I recently was pointed at this forum, and I hope not to annoy with too many ignorant questions, but I'd like to hear from the owner/operators regarding how they got started, where they learned the ropes, and what keeps them up at night.

If there's a FAQ I missed somewhere I'm happy to start there, please just let me know. Also happy to be pointed at any relevant threads.

Thanks,
Mike

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-21-2013 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What keeps me up at night: That's an easy one. Deciding whether, and how much, to raise prices. I probably lose more sleep over that than any other single thing.

You can find out about how most people got started by reading the "who the HECK are you" thread.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-21-2013 10:46 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the top of any Forums page -- including this page -- you will find a link to the faq & rules pages.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-22-2013 03:06 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insomnia. [Wink]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 06:01 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neuropathy. Hey Chris: I have family living in Redmond. At what theatre do you work?

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Work keeps me up at night. Often a 6pm-2:30am shift.

Mike Hillyer
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 10:13 AM      Profile for Mike Hillyer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Hillyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link but I meant a FAQ about the industry, not about using the board itself. I'll check out the who are you thread, thanks!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-22-2013 03:21 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
Hey Chris: I have family living in Redmond. At what theatre do you work?
For a while, I wasn't working at one at all. I am slowly building up an acupuncture practice; rent space from a chiropractor near the Crossroads area of Bellevue two days a week.

But recently I started part-time at Lincoln Square Cinemas in downtown Bellevue. They mentioned a possible opening for projection stuff but I have no idea when/if that'll happen. Nice place and mostly nice people from what I've seen.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2013 06:43 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Binary code keeps me up at night..

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-27-2013 06:57 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're one of the poor souls who confuse Halloween and Christmas?

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2013 09:19 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, what keeps me up is figuring out how to convert to digital for the cheapest possible price, which a reasonable amount of functionality for my staff and customers.

It's a great business, and a humbling one. Most theatre owners are happy to help newbies get started. Most will also lend you a bag or two of popcorn, oil, or soda if your order didn't come in. Even if they are direct competitors. Gotta love that!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2013 07:09 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working nights, usually 5-2am every night. Then large amounts of soda and being an insomniac. Guessing the soda helps with the insomniac part though.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2013 09:55 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ronda Fitzsimmons
figuring out how to convert to digital
No Problem! Just do what many other theater owners do:
1) Cut staff & fire anyone who works for more than minimum wage
2) Hire janatorial service to only clean every-other-day
2) Cut back on heat in the winter & air conditioning in summer
3) Raise your admission & concession prices

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-04-2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks more like "how NOT to convert to digital!"

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2013 10:01 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Cat since she is so inclined to sleep on top of me. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: